New Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer humming

Premsaggar

The bottom of the 15 is super slick, like perfectly smooth plastic.  If you don't put any rubber pads on it or anything it could easily walk on hardwood.  I can push it across my carpet easily.  It doesn't walk around the room or anything but if it were on hardwood it probably would.  But, my 18's probably would as well.  I tried putting a center on top and it just wants to fall off.  A rubber pad or those stick on rubber feet would probably go a long way.  Several Klipsch speakers come with them, I have several packages with them in there, but not sure the subs do. 

I tried the rca noise isolator and it worked, but I found a simpler solution. I turned both of my R-115SW's down to about 4 on the volume and turned the sub out on my preamp up. Worked great! They will still knock you on your buttocks!

Edited by Trentster5172
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, I just purchased a Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer. I also have a SVS PB-13 ultra that I've kept right next to the Klipsch for testing. I ran some tests and the Klipsch sounded louder and more punchy, to my surprise. However, after a few tests I noticed the Klipsch was emanating a hum noise. After doing some experimenting here's what I know:

1) When the Klipsch is on and not connected to anything it does not hum

2) When the Klipsch is on and ANY audio connector is connected to it, it will hum, even if the audio connector is not connected to the receiver!

3) If I take the exact same audio connector and plug it into the SVS I have no hum from the SVS.

The Klipsch's power plug only has 2 prongs and no ground level. The SVS cord has a ground level.

It seems to me that the Klipsch's input ports are overly sensitive or defective. The hum is very loud at max volume and does get quieter as the sub's gain drops. However, the hum only vanishes once the sub's gain is 0. Please help, I really like this sub and I don't know how to fix it!

Thanks,

Prem

100% factory defect -

• Like 2

I tried the rca noise isolator and it worked, but I found a simpler solution. I turned both of my R-115SW's down to about 4 on the volume and turned the sub out on my preamp up. Worked great! They will still knock you on your buttocks!

If I turn my inuke 6000's gain up, it picks up fan noise from itself and other components. Its better after i did the fan swap but i still cant crank it.

I'm wondering if this punch you are describing is actually a sound you prefer. The ultra is a top notch sub and I find it weird it doesn't provide enough. I owned a pair before and they were monsters. And shaking across the floor isn't a good thing necessarily. Maybe you can just play with the setting on the PB-13 ultra and see if you can get some more lunch out of it? There is peq options on back where you can bump up the 60-80 hz area. Call Svs and see if them guys can help you out. Would save you money since you already own it.

Is your hatred for Klipsch subs so deep that someone can't have an opinion that their Klipsch sounds better than their SVS?

I have had the absolute worst luck with every Klipsch sub I have ever owned except the RSW-10.

I have had the absolute best luck with every SVS sub i have ever owned.

I am a die-hard Klipsch fan but there are just better subs on the market. I would still like to try this new 15", I might even pick up a RSW-15 since everyone here is so smitten with it.

Is your hatred for Klipsch subs so deep that someone can't have an opinion that their Klipsch sounds better than their SVS?
 absolutely not. my rsw-10d is the SOLE reason i am even in to klipsch speakers.

but is it so hard to see what i am talking about? regardless of peoples opinion on audio which is subjective for sure, DO YOU find it odd that a top tier 2,000$ subwoofer lacks mid bass punch? 

i'm only trying to help the guy out with a product that he already owns. i try to help people out as much as i can with the knowledge i have come across the last few years on this forum and in my journey. only thing i dislike very much is when people confuse my passion for top performance with "hatred" for a certain product. 

like i suggested there is PEQ built in to the SVS and could maybe remedy his issue WITHOUT having to spend a single dime. 

call that "hatred" if you like. i call it help

I think people have different ideas of how to define "punch" as well.  I know what these things sound like, some of the upper midbass stuff is in fact pronounced but its a little sloppy.  My idea of "punch" is nice dynamics with a ton of overhead while still staying super tight and fast, and nothing that sounds like box resonances or too much midbass frequencies coming through the port.  With this idea my 18's are way more punchy than the Klipsch.  But yeah the Klipsch can be really loud and can sound great on the right material if you set them up right.  Stuff like kick drums isn't quite as punchy as I like at high volumes but its great for LFE in movies.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

In setting up a sub or two subs, use an spl meter to adjust the sub gain and you get a reading of 75 or 73 db respectively for one or two subs.  This is the correct procedure to get the most out of your sub/s.  Then run autocalibration.  The isolator will work  for a ground loop problem.  Hiss could also be a part of the amp structure.

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all having a great weekend. I ordered another Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer and it has the exact same humming problem! The sub does not hum when it is turned on. However, the moment I connect an RCA cable to it, the hum comes back. The hum exists even if the cable is plugged into my receiver or not.

This time I also ordered the WA-2 wireless connector from Klipsch and when I use it there is much less hum. It's just noticeable if you are right next to the subwoofer. With the wireless adapter the hum is acceptable; without it the hum is unbearable.

Does using the Klipsch WA-2 wireless kit compress or diminish the subwoofer signal? My sub is about 5 feet away from the receiver. I believe I can hear the difference but I can't tell for sure because of the hum when the RCA cable is connected.

Unless I received 2 defective subs which is unlikely, it appears the RCA connection is picking up interference from my house/power. How can I fix this so I can use the RCA connections? Thanks again everyone.

Prem

Have you tried connecting to different wall outlets in your home and see if it still hums. 99% it's the wall outlet (AC Power) side causing the hum. That said, the filter circuit etc. within built-in amplifier of the Klipsch sub should take care of it.

I would call Klipsch Technical Support and find out why your other sub is not causing hum while Klipsch Sub does.

Good Luck

• Like 1

I sent mine to repair, Got it back and the sub is not broken. This is how all R-115SW sounds. Klipsch told me the best way to eliminate the hum is to buy the wireless kit, or turn down the volume button on the back and make a new callibration with your microphone pluged in the receiver.

Martin Pedersen

Denmark

• Like 1