New Klipsch R-115SW subwoofer humming

Premsaggar

I would still be looking at your wires.  If it is still there to some extent even with the wireless kit, which would eliminate any ground loop, then your wires are either completing a circuit simply by being plugged in to one side, probably meaning they are damaged, or they are not shielded and are picking up radio interference as if it were an antenna.  Think about it, the fact that you still have it with the wireless kit means that this hum is being transmitted to the sub from the transmitter.  

I'm curious as to if the hum goes away with your current wireless setup if you unplug the RCA cables going into the transmitter or just turn the transmitter off.  

It could be that the difference is that the SVS was grounded.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Not sure what to do. Just leave it, or keep trying.

Just what I would do...

1. Try to find some quality shielded RCA cables if you haven't already, some nice ones.  Don't use cheap thin ones.  

2. If it still hums, move it around the room and see if it gets better or worse.  

3. If it still hums, try a different circuit, maybe even in a different room, possibly even a friend's house.  

4. Experiment similarly with the wireless setup.  Does the hum go away with the transmitter off?  What about with no RCA cables going to the transmitter?  What about physically moving the transmitter?  

I just think you have something environmental going on and something with the Klipsch is exacerbating the problem.  

I have allready tryed the first 4 suggestions.

In march i'll get my self the wireless system to try it out. As of now the sub is turned down and re-calibrated with my Onkyo receiver to +12db on the sub volume.

I even tryed a different receiver and ground loop isolator.

Martin Pedersen

Denmark

Edited by EKBI
  • Like 1

If it's possible, then ask for a favor to a friend or family to test your sub at thier home. If it hums in their home as well then you can ask Klipsch that it doesn't seem the home wiring issue. Should be very easy test over a cup of tea or coffee or a glass of beer. :)

I sent mine to repair, Got it back and the sub is not broken. This is how all R-115SW sounds. Klipsch told me the best way to eliminate the hum is to buy the wireless kit, or turn down the volume button on the back and make a new callibration with your microphone pluged in the receiver.

Martin Pedersen

Denmark

This sound unacceptable.  That would make me feel like they did not put enough research and development into the sub.  I would send it back and take my money to another sub company.  Some will consider this harsh but, the real world has other companies that will bend over backward for your business.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

Does the Klipsch sub have a removable A/C plug or is it hard wired into the back of the sub?  If you have an A/C cord that plugs into the back of the sub then the wall outlet you could try to order a replacement plug that is grounded.  While I do not run Klipsch subs, I purchased new power cords for my SVS subs as I needed a few more feet relative to the my subs positioning to power source.  Perhaps a grounded plug would resolve this issue... Low cost option that may work.

Man that's difficult digest! Without connecting a sub cable to source, if it makes a humming noise, then how it's gonna fix by connecting to wireless.

It would eliminate any chance of there being a ground loop as well as eliminate the idea that the RCA cable is damaged or otherwise bad.  What's curious to me is that it didn't fully stay or go away, rather it got significantly better but is still there to some extent.  

I just can't believe it is happening at all with RCA cables simply plugged up but not connected to a source, but it doesn't happen when there's nothing plugged in.  If it hums at that point seems to me it is either acting as an antenna or completing a circuit.  The fact that it still happens with the wireless at a lower volume is even more confusing.  I'm still curious as to if it still happens if the transmitter is turned off.  Doing this would tell you if the sub itself is picking it up or if that hum is literally being transmitted.  

• 3 years later...

I have the exact same issue with a R-112sw. I have tried evrything I can think of and there is NO support from Klipsch. It also induces a hum into my system as well. My system is dead silent at idle no matter the volume level until I plug this sub in. I don't notice it too much when music is playing but it is still very annoying and not "Audiophile" at all.

• 1 year later...

I have a powered Klipsch 15” sub and it also started humming about 5 years ago. It hums with or without inputs attached. I’ve tried multiple circuits in the house and it still hums. I pulled out the amp and nothing is loose or visibly damaged. Is there anything I can do or should I by Yamaha or JBL?

Can I add a ground somewhere?

I’ve called around and no one works on them. At $2000 I hate to throw it away...