Mr. Beer home brew kit

peshewah

One thing I will tell you from experiance, is throw out the yeast that comes with kits.  There are better tasing fresher yeast out there. I just dumped about 2 gallons of wheat beer do to old yeast.  I have been brewing off and on for several years.  The last couple of brews were from scratch except the last one which was from a kit.  Now you need to build a kegorator and start kegging your home brew.  Makes it easier to server and drink, plus you can fill pint glasses fully and you don't need to keep all the bottles around.

• Like 1

My beer is a little cloudy but not bad. Being winter time in a old farm house its hard to keep the room temps warm all the time and I bet thats a key because of the yeast. I'm going to keep brewing. Its alot of fun

Are you brewing an ale or a lager?  Low temperature fermentations are perfect for lagers, especially 45-55 degrees or so.   Ales need to be fermented (ideally) at 65-75 degrees. 

Either way.....Relax, Life's Too Short, Have a Homebrew!  :)

• Like 3

Duders, thanks. There is a store that sell beer making stuff about 3 miles from the house. I will get some yeast there. 

TJlann it is a lager I believe. I guess your right. It turned a lot better than I thought it would. 

Mustang Guy, your pretty good at speaker building, try your hand at beer. It gives that warm feeling

Assisted a room mate in making a few batches. The wort was really a nice experience as it formed. The whole city block had 3 or more brewers. He is experienced in the making.

Think that is right duder. Keg/kegorator, a couple of sparkling wine bottles capped for friends in the fridge, until it reaches a unquenchable thirst. Went to a party with kegs of home brew with countless taps. Had a blast.

• Like 1

I got a beer kit for Christmas from my niece. It was a lot of fun. I like the taste of it. I will try to post a picture

I bought one from QVC back in about 1995.  My first(and only) batch turned out really good.  After consuming it all, I decided it I was too impatient because it took too long for brewing process so I found it easier to pick up some Sam Adams at the store.  Needless to say, I never made another batch and eventually sold it at a garage sale.  With the home brewing craze that is going on right now, I wish I still had that thing. :(

Bill

Brewing is fun, but you have to be very diligent about sanitation.  Unless you are brewing an open wild yeast Belgium brew, which I doubt most of us could do, boil the hell out of everything that will come into contact with the beer, prior, in between, bottling etc.  If you can't do that don't bother.

Try doing a wheat beer. My first batch of wheat made my teeth numb!

Oh, another thing, forget the recipes that came with the kit. Go get yourself a good basic book from a brew store and use their recipes. 

• Like 2

I owned a home brewing and wine making store many years ago and brewed for over 20 years.  Stopped about 5 years ago, but still make wine.  For the extract brewers out there, the very best I ever found and still to this day I consider the best try "Williams" in California.  Nothing came close to their extracts.  I tried them all.  Willaims Kits are great too.  Highly perishable though so you have to order when it's cool outside, like now.  Also...........WYEAST.  No need to fool with anything else.  :)