4 - rf7ii's, rc64ii & r115sw -- STATIC / HISS?

MercedesBerater

i wouldn't go with mono blocks. personally don't think its worth the effort and money. i tried seven mono blocks and all it did was take up my power center lol. id do a good solid two channel for your mains for music listening. and then a 5 channel for remaining channels. stereo amps have much more reserve than a 5 or 7 channel amp. in fact there is a guy on here that just uses all stereo amps for that exact reason. 

It's not a matter of taming the RF-7II's hiss, its most likely the AVR (99% sure), so if you plan an upgrade, as it appears you are, you should be fine. I used to run three RF's in front two on the sides and 6 KSP-S6 surrounds with two subs and the whole thing was dead silent. A good quality multi-channel amp would be more than adequate. You will be very happy when you are done, very nice.

Enjoy.

It sounds like the avr is the kink in the chain.  When you update the system, preouts are a good option.  You don't need mono blocks: a good 5 or 7 channel amp will do fine.

+3 on the AVR supplying the hiss….oh, welcome!

• Moderators

First of all, awesome looking setup you have there!  I really love the RF7ii & RC-64ii.  They will rock your world for HT.  :D

But I had to put my electronic purchases on the back burner and rush out and get a matching RC64 and rear RF7ii's since Klipsch decided to discontinue them.

Actually....these are both still current model speakers and have not been discontinued.   The RF7ii, RC64ii and RB82ii are the only three from the Reference II Series that have not been discontinued.

What are you impressions of the R115SW?  I haven't had a chance to hear them yet.  Just curious from a new owner.

I know your setup is temporary but one suggestion would be to toe in your main speakers slightly so that the tweeter is aimed just slightly behind your listening position.  This will improve your soundstage immensely.  You can play with the amount of toe in till it sounds the best.  Even slight changes in angle can make a huge difference.

Can't wait to watch your setup progress.

• Moderators

IMO, your RF-7's won't benefit from having 300 watts / ch.  I run 200 watts / ch and it is more than enough.  I personally would rather have 150 x 3 across my front soundstage than 200 x 2 for my mains and using my receiver to power my center (at least I think that's what you are considering).

Youthman - the towers are all toed in a bit (the pic with 4 in front was just to piss the wife off when she got home) they've since been moved front and rear- each with varying degrees of toe in, respectively.

my Klipsch dealer said the 7ii's and 64ii are being discontinued in June, and production has stopped/stopping soon to eliminate any over stock. Maybe I was hoodwinked... But they gave me a killer deal- buy their two RF7ii floor models and get a brand new, in box 64ii for free.

And I'm extremely happy I waited to purchase a sub a few months. I was going to get the sw115 but when I saw the R-115sw with its monster copper cone, SOLD. And the sub seems to perform better. Doesn't have as much flex compared to the SW. Box seems more robust, (the plastic sign holder they had on the SW used to vibrate about... The same sign holder on the top of the R115 barely moves. It seems like the box has less resonance based on the super technical, and highly structured plastic sign scooter test)

The R-115SW has plenty of "slam" during say, master & commander cannon ball firing.

It also is quite musical too, bass notes are actual notes, not just a deep muddy mess.

The SW115 was no slouch either (at this price point) but I think the r115sw has just the right refinements to make it worth the extra $.

And.... The matching copper ties it all together.

• Moderators
Youthman - the towers are all toed in a bit (the pic with 4 in front was just to piss the wife off when she got home) they've since been moved front and rear- each with varying degrees of toe in, respectively.

Wow....I was looking at the first pic when I noticed the non-toe in and missed how they were setup in the 2nd photo.  :P

my Klipsch dealer said the 7ii's and 64ii are being discontinued in June,

Now that may be the case....I haven't heard anything.  We were just told by Chad that currently, they will remain in production and he wasn't aware that Klipsch was replacing them with something else.

But they gave me a killer deal- buy their two RF7ii floor models and get a brand new, in box 64ii for free.

Whether it was a sales pitch or the truth, you ended up with some sweet speakers so it's still a win in my book.  ;)

I was going to get the sw115 but when I saw the R-115sw with its monster copper cone, SOLD.

I love 15's for HT.  I'm looking forward to hearing Wakejunkie's Dual DIY IB 18's in the spring.  After hearing them, I may just be headed down that road myself.  :D

Glad to hear the R115SW is a solid performer and can keep up with the RF-7ii.

Your rf-7ii have dual 10's they will like the power. I'd stick with the xpa-2 and a xpa5 myself. Can be had used if patient for a little over a grand. Upa-200 aren't gonna be anywhere close to as good of amps. Read reviews. Don't rush anything. Could cost you more money in the long run. Patience is the key to a top notch system without spending a bunch of extra money buying the wrong thing then turning around and selling for a loss. My opinion of course. I have been through a ton of gear in the last few years.

• Like 2

• Moderators
Don't rush anything. Could cost you more money in the long run. Patience is the key to a top notch system without spending a bunch of extra money buying the wrong thing then turning around and selling for a loss.

Solid advice there.  I know I've been down that road.  Definitely do your homework.  It makes it more difficult with Emotiva since they are an ID company and you do not have the luxury of going somewhere to demo their gear.

If you are open to used amps....this might be of interest XPA-5 for $650 - Link

The guy selling it is decent and collects audio gear in this region. He brought some of my old gear.  Maybe, I should grab it, he, he.  I don't need any more amps, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

Emo & RF7's Have hiss? Even with a good pre/pro signal path? Any suggestions other than emo? The price points on the emo are tough to pass up.

What I'm nervous about is being ID - there is probably a lot of fanboy reviews, tough to screen those out.

No hiss or fanboy's here but going on 3 years now and zero issues. Only one way to find out is to try them in YOUR system.

30 day money back guarantee if you're not happy........

Tasdom is one of the few I could think of with no hiss. I had a hiss with mine and I had the less efficent rf-63. The hiss was only audible from about 6 inches so I cared not one bit. I agree about finding out. Just read return policy carefully. If you have to pay return shipping plan on 50-100$

Good to know. 6" is reasonable. And $50-100 return is better than being stuck with a hissing amp.

I would think that the hiss is coming from the source /transport and the amp is just reproducing whatever data it's fed.

Well... I'm a ways off before I get amps. The wife says after the subwoofer purchase I have to finish the theatre room before any more toys get purchased.

Which isn't a bad thing, I'll have the speakers in their final home with acoustic paneling vs the echo chamber the upstairs living room is. (Hardwood floors, brick fireplace, big windows behind couch, very little on walls.)

Hiss is solved..... So far !

I went into settings on the bluray player and it was set to download to stereo pcm.

The receiver was then trying to up convert back to surround.

Now- the settings are now changed to bitstream out of BDP and receiver set to Dolby surround.

BOOM! No hiss at all!!! At least so far... While watching "the judge"