are recessed sub baffles necessary?

Paducah Home Theater

Is there a good reason for these things other than just looks and maybe protect the rubber surround to some extent?  I'm about to start over and am wondering if I can skip this step.  I'm not entirely sure what the point is.  They look fine to me without the recession and its significantly easier to build without.  

What are you gonna build? Two monster ported boxes? Something like a full Marty?

An 8 foot long stealth-ish coffee table with "black galaxy" granite on top.  Either four 18's on a row or keep what I've got and go with two ported, its just about the same box size.  Can't decide.  I'd keep what I got but I don't know if introducing a port will change the upper end of things, don't want to lose any speed or tightness on kick drums, halfway scared I'd do it wrong and get midbass coloration through the port on music.  If I could sell my ultimax setup I'd probably go with four sealed HST-18's.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Having extra thickness on the baffle is always a good idea. However, flush mounting a subwoofer like you would a tweeter or mid gains you zero acoustic benefit.

I was going to have at least a double maybe triple thick 13 ply baltic birch baffle then just cut the same size hole in them all.  I tried to recess my last boxes and it didn't look all that great.  Having them surface mounted is hard to screw up.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Either four 18's on a row

Have 2 on opposite sides from another unless you want to chase it around the room.

Yeah that's true, a big line of four of them would look pretty cool though.  :)  I have room to put some back behind me but I had some rear staging issue before, on the upper end of things I could tell there was a sub behind me.  Maybe dialing the rear ones back a bit or crossing them over a little lower would help.  

You can use thinner baffle material is the structure is braced good enough. As previously mentioned opposing woofers will help with stability. As an added feature you could make two boxes where two woofers fire at each other in the center. The top and bottom would still be one sold piece.

As previously mentioned opposing woofers will help with stability. As an added feature you could make two boxes where two woofers fire at each other in the center. The top and bottom would still be one sold piece.

Now we're talking.  That sounds nice.  Like a three chamber bandpass except the middle chamber is open.  Seems like that would slam.  

I misread about the "chasing it around the room" comment, I thought he meant put two up front and two behind in order to smooth things out.  Right now at certain frequencies and certain seats my subs sound like they're coming from the side of the room.  I'm hoping the granite top will also aid in stability so I can put a center on top.  

No, I was talking about the sub literally moving around.

After probably a couple sheets of plywood plus 250 pounds of granite on top and at least two 50+ pound subs, this thing will weigh over 500 pounds.  I doubt its going to dance around, but I would like to minimize vibrations.