NOS Tubes Wanted

tidmack

Hi all,

I understand the danger/confusion of posting in two different areas of the forum, but I know some of the tube guys don't get over to the Garage Sale area of the forum, so I thought I'd drop a line here, too.

I'm on the lookout for the tubes listed below, they're for my jukebox amps. I'd prefer NOS RCA, but would take NOS GE or Sylvania's too. I'd prefer no used tubes. I'm guessing the 6973's will be the hardest to find. Thanks and keep in touch. I know I can buy some/most of these on eBay, but I thought I'd check here first.

6973 (4)

7025 (2)

12AU7 (2)

12AX7 (3)

5U4GA or B (1)

6J5 (1)

6SJ7 (2)

12BH7 (2)

6L6GC (2) 

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

Is there some reason you need NOS tubes?

I can fix you up for free with used tubes I can test before shipping for the following:

12AU7

12AV7

6J5

6SJ7

I think I may also have some 12BH7's around here but can't find them at the moment.

Those small tubes last virtually forever.

I NEED SOME (free):

12AU7

12AV7

6J5

6SJ7

I think I may also need some 12BH7's :ph34r:  :ph34r: :ph34r:

FOR SALE (arriving soon):

12AU7

12AV7

6J5

6SJ7

I think I may also have some 12BH7's       :P

ROTFLMBO!!!  :lol:

+++

Given your track record Earl, if you get them for free, does that mean you'll be paying me to take them?  B):rolleyes::lol:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Fellas,

Thank you for your input, I sincerely appreciate it. I only mentioned NOS because I figured it'd be best to have new tubes for these two amps. My thought was to get a set of new tubs for the amps and keep any of the previously installed tubes as spares, provided they test ok.

I 100% trust your opinions that I don't necessarily need NOS tubes, so I would welcome tested used tubes.

Mark and Thebes, I think you can tell that I'm waaay out of my element with tubes. I have solid state Mac gear, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want these two amps to sound nice when I get them back. Will brand make much of a difference for these tubes, or am I making too big of a deal out of this? I figured if I stayed with RCA, GE, or Sylvania, I'd be safe, without breaking the bank.

Thebes, I'd be happy to reimburse you for the tubes you mentioned above. Maybe we can work things out via PM.

Jeff

Jeff,

If you are having the amps restored, then chances are the restorer will test your current set of tubes and let you know which ones could use replacing.

Now, things like 6L6's are output tubes and they do wear out.  Sorry the few of them I have I'm keeping, so I'd buy brand new production for those.

Small tubes, however, can go for up 10,000 hours, so unless they've been subjected to extra abuse, or sudden power spikes etc., they could all still be fine.

Not sure if they are good and you didn't send the tubes along with the amp? So, no problemo, send the tubes to me and I'll test them

Restoring the amps is a wise SAFETY consideration.  Remember there are  limitations on the sound coming out of these, given the speakers used in jukeboxes and the quality of the needles used on the turntables they have. So relax. It's not like you are fine-tuning a $55,000 amp made out of refined titanium, with transformers wound from the pubic hair of vestal virgins.

Canyonman,

Thanks for posting. I'm working with Thebes to possibly have some of these tubes tested to see what kind of life they have left. I have a feeling I will definitely need replacements for the 6973's and 6L6's. Is it ok if I PM you once I have a definitive answer on which ones I need?  Thanks again for responding.

Jeff

Wow guys, thank you to everyone who has gotten in touch. Thebes is generously testing my tubes and a couple members have contacted me to let me know they have the specific tubes I listed, in case mine test poorly.  Have a great weekend guys, I can't wait to get the amps back in shape on the Wurlitzer 1800 and 2300.

Jeff

I've got several pairs of vintage RCA 12BH7's, the long black plate style. I might be willing to part with a pair, they are NOS, NIB.

If still interested, I also have most of the requested tube types, in both American and European variants, but need to know what your willing to pay for them before taking another step toward selling them. All are NOS, NIB.

Edited by Gilbert

I just wanted to take a moment to publicly thank Thebes for generously offering to test all of my tubes.  As he predicted, most of my tubes were, in fact, ok. His time and expertise just saved me a small chunk of change that can be spent in other parts of our hobby.

I'm excited to get these two old Wurlitzers sounding like they should again and I appreciate everyone's willingness to help me out.

Have a great day, guys.

Jeff