Stereo Receiver vs. Integraded Amplifier

The History Kid

As I'm starting to tread deeper into the waters of the audio world I'm trying to determine some best case scenarios for myself. As mentioned before, my Yamaha RX-V2500 will be replaced this month by an Emotiva Fusion 8100. I have 11.1 channels (7 discrete) on my Yamaha, and the Emotiva only has 7. With 9 speakers, this presents the issue of powering these other two speakers, and something to take to school with me.

My ultimate solution is to get a 2 channel unit of some variety. I've settled on that factor and have no intentions of wavering.

However - in my search I've come across the terms and descriptions of both a basic Stereo Receiver and an Integrated Amplifier. I'm trying to discern what the difference is.

From what I'm seeing...the only real differences appear to be the addition of digital connections on the amplifier, and lack of tuner...whereas the receiver is analog only and has a tuner. Is there anything else that's different? Is one particularly better than the other?

The integrated amps are normally have better quality components.  Beefier power supply, vs stero receivers feature like phono, network, Pandora, Vtuner and other little things.  Both can be very good. For two additional channel, get something like a Yamaha M 70.  They are older amp but, get to power the mains.  A Yamaha MX 60 will work for surrounds.  These amps will not break the bank. ;)

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

Would any of that power be of waste if I was using it as a zone 2 to power the extra 2 speakers I have when I'm home off of the Fusion 8100? I'm compelled to go the route of the amp, simply because I have no need for a unit with a tuner built in, and they seem to be a bit more portable when needed.

Thanks for those recommendations. I'll consider them.

It sounds like all you need is an amp.  No waste of power.  You can always turn it off.  The old Yamaha amps don't waste a lot of power like the class A or class A/B.  If space is a problem, an old Carver cube amp is nice.  They are 7x7x7 inches and around 10 lbs.  This is one of the strongest amp that I have owned.  I think it was an M400.  Great sound quality to boot!

Sounds good, I'll look into those. I believe my budget will be $350 when I get the Yamaha replaced. From the looks of it I should be able to get something somewhat decent for that - as new units are going at that price or less it seems. Am I on the right assumption?

I am a big proponent of integrated amps. Today's integrateds, or power amps with volume pots, give many seperates a run for their money. I would hate to add up the tens of thousands of $$$ I've spent on power amps mated to the right preamp with the right sounding interconnects only to find at the end of the day, at least for me the KISS principle is most satisfying. If you are looking at an exclusive two channel rig and Klipsch speakers are in the mix you might consider a tube integrated. It would not be the end all of amplifiers but you might find a decent piece for around $500. Very nice sounding digital integrateds, class D, tripath and gain clones can be had for close to your budget and sound really nice on Klipsch. They run cool, virtually no heat and no tubes to worry over. A real simple and inexpensive way to a good sounding two channel. Keep an open mind and look what's out there before jumping. Good luck.

As I'm starting to tread deeper into the waters of the audio world I'm trying to determine some best case scenarios for myself. As mentioned before, my Yamaha RX-V2500 will be replaced this month by an Emotiva Fusion 8100. I have 11.1 channels (7 discrete) on my Yamaha, and the Emotiva only has 7. With 9 speakers, this presents the issue of powering these other two speakers, and something to take to school with me.

My ultimate solution is to get a 2 channel unit of some variety. I've settled on that factor and have no intentions of wavering.

However - in my search I've come across the terms and descriptions of both a basic Stereo Receiver and an Integrated Amplifier. I'm trying to discern what the difference is.

From what I'm seeing...the only real differences appear to be the addition of digital connections on the amplifier, and lack of tuner...whereas the receiver is analog only and has a tuner. Is there anything else that's different? Is one particularly better than the other?

Carefully reading what you posted, I think you need a 2 channel power amp (not an integrated or receiver) if you are adding 2 channels to the existing receiver (because the receiver has pre outs only for these 2 channls, correct?). 

So - to ask then...would I be better off to go with an Emotiva UPA-200? It has a single L/R input...which is all I'd need even at school. Those inputs seem to just be line level inputs, so I can't imagine any issues there. Would this be a better option, or is that Sherbourn still preferred? Other options/places I should look at?

So - to ask then...would I be better off to go with an Emotiva UPA-200? It has a single L/R input...which is all I'd need even at school. Those inputs seem to just be line level inputs, so I can't imagine any issues there. Would this be a better option, or is that Sherbourn still preferred? Other options/places I should look at?

Either one will do the trick.  I kind of like the Sherbourn flexibility though.

Bill

Frequently, gear from the same manufacturer has the same components off of their approved vendors list.

They may also have design guidelines in addition to style guidelines so their gear has the same sonic signature from unit to unit.

If you just need two amplified channels, I would stick with Emo after you speak to someone on the phone and ask about the sound vs what you already purchased, It may the same exact engineering team that designs the gear.

Call Emotiva. They have their secret warehouse sale going on with factory reconditioned. I just picked up two Fusion 8100's and two XPA-1L's. The Fusions are $369 if you are emo club. A UPA-200 is $207 and the XPA-100 Gen 1 is $252. Full warranty. Hope that helps.

Edited by Trentster5172

I actually just landed an awesome deal on an XDA-2 Gen II for $175 - if I hadn't done that, I would have gone for the UPA-200. I'll have to wait for the Fusion to generate the money for the extra amp at this point.

Nice pre amp, pay attention with the drivers

I'm praying you are aware there is no amplification at all in the XDA-2 except for headphones. Just making sure before you purchase.

Second this, the XDA is a pre-amp DAC combo, not and amp or integrated amp.