Klipsch Belle as center channel - How do I hook up?

dbass2

First off, this is my first post to the forum.  Also, I am not sure if Im posting in the correct spot.  I have Klipschorns as main speakers.  I just purchased a single Belle speaker that I am planning on using as a center channel.  I am using this strictly for listening to music.  How do I hook up the center channel.  Do I need to buy a surround receiver that has a mono output.  Currently I am using a Adcom GFP-565 preamp and I have (2) Adcom GFA-555 amplifiers.  Can I set this up using only the Adcom amps?  I tried bridging the Adcom 555, but that only gives me Left or Right signal.  

• Like 1

Ideally a current AVR with the Dolby Pro LogicII Music mode would do the job. But their is also a way, advocated by Paul Klipsch, to derive a center channel for use between two Klipschorns.

If you Google "Derived Center Channel" or "Klipsch Derived Center Channel" you'll get lots of reading material.

Their are some posts here in the forums as well...

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149439-center-speakers-in-1957

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/137955-old-school-center-channel-with-klipschorns-is-it-worth-it

Welcome.

While I encourage you to read the PWK paper Fjd attached above, the fact that you asked the question suggests you won't want, or be easily able, to implement what's described in the article. At a minimum, you'll need another amp to drive the center channel. PWK used one channel of a stereo amp. The path of least resistance (pun intended, as always) would be a newer AVR receiver that has a center channel output.

PWK was way ahead of the curve on the 3 channel configuration. I heard a demo in the early 70s involving 2 Khorns and a center, whether Heresy, Cornwall or La Scala, escapes me. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Belle. I do recall being impressed by the man and his 3 channel setup.

Edited by DizRotus

A modern multichannel AVR with preouts would serve you well if you want to simplify. You could use your preouts to still use one or both of your 555s, and use the AVR's center channel. But, switching the AVR to "stereo" mode will put you back into 2 channel for the K-horns at anytime you desire. With the modern AVR in the loop, you can easily elect 2 or 3 channel (or more depending on the AVR) with the AVR's remote.

I run 11 channels . . . K-horn fronts, Belle center, Belle side surrounds, La Scala rears, and Heresy wides and heights. I often simply listen to music just 2 channel on the K-horns rotating an Adcom 555 or PL 400 on the AVR preouts for critical listening. But I'd like classic rock in multichannel mode.

With a speaker/amp switcher and a Scott 299 C in the mix, I can listen to vinyl on the K-horns in the configuration by simply pressing a button on a remote, switching the amp from the AVR to the Scott tube amp.

A modern AVR with preouts would let you do what you desire in the simplest fashion.

I got into to surround sound by first running a La Scala center between two K-horns. I used a Rolls mixer to convert the stereo signal to mono which is what PKs box did. 

http://www.parts-express.com/rolls-mx41b-4-ch-passive-mixer--245-042

The summed mono signal was then sent to separate amp to power the speaker. I had to adjust the volume separately from the LR but when adjusted correctly it provided a nice center to the sound that was a bit nebulous before (my K-horns are 24 feet apart).

It would be easier to accomplish with a decent AVR but if you are like most of us and have lots of extra gear lying around the Rolls mixer will give you a way to try it out inexpensively. If you want to PM me I will sell you my Rolls ($20?), it is just sitting in a box these days.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

I got into to surround sound by first running a La Scala center between two K-horns. I used a Rolls mixer to convert the stereo signal to mono which is what PKs box did. 

http://www.parts-express.com/rolls-mx41b-4-ch-passive-mixer--245-042

The summed mono signal was then sent to separate amp to power the speaker. I had to adjust the volume separately from the LR but when adjusted correctly it provided a nice center to the sound that was a bit nebulous before (my K-horns are 24 feet apart).

It would be easier to accomplish with a decent AVR but if you are like most of us and have lots of extra gear lying around the Rolls mixer will give you a way to try it out inexpensively. If you want to PM me I will sell you my Rolls ($20?), it is just sitting in a box these days.

With trompof's $20 Rolls and an inexpensive chip amp, for example: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-808-Stereo-Amplifer-LA4636/dp/B005YHC4LW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1423321884&sr=1-1&keywords=chip+amp, you could try this arrangement at little financial risk.  Read the PWK paper first.

Edited by DizRotus

Thanks for all the replies.  I see all my options now.  I will take the time to read through all the material.  Until then, one thing I just thought of for a easy way to experiment with the 3 channel setup.  I was thinking about trying to use 2 pre-amps and 2 power amps.  First off, Ill split the output from the CD player.  One signal into each of the (2) preamps. One of my preamps (Onkyo P304) has  a stereo/mono switch.  In mono mode, this LR output could be used to feed the Adcom GFA-555 in bridged mode a mono signal then to the center channel speaker.  The other signal could be fed into the other pre-amp for normal 2 channel stereo.  The only downside is that I will have a separate volume control for the center channel.  But should give me a sample of what it will sound like.  Ill post results once I give it a try.  I think it should work?

dont forget that you can always use a 4th speaker to achieve a quadraphonic sound -PWK was not a man to limit sound - there is  nothing wrong with 2 speakers in the center  - if 3 is better than 2 -4 is better than 3 -

Edited by Randyh

I'm a huge fan of quad sound using two sets of speakers (Belles front, Lascalas rear). I use one 18 watt tube amp and an Adcom GSF-6 speaker selector. I've had friends say they prefer one pair of speakers at a time, but I really like the room filling effect of two pairs at a time. It isn't "pure" two channel, but I guess I can listen to my system any way I like..............

I used to have a pair of Adcom monoblocks, but really prefer the rebuilt Dynaco tube amp.

• Like 1