Not your run-of-the-mill Khorns for sale.

phil03449

Hi -So this is a unique pair I'm selling. My father-in-law was an audio engineer and scientist for Martin Marietta back in the day (yes, he was literally a rocket scientist). In his spare time he handmade exquisite spanish guitars and dabbled in all things high-end audio. He assembled this pair of Klipschorns using individual, original parts and then constructed the cabinets from original plans. The bass drivers are Electro Voice 18WK, -of course, they are stunning drivers. The mid-drivers are Electro Voice 55K drivers which he then hand-cast ceramic horns for with a friend from the lab -very smooth sounding. The tweeters are Electro Voice T350's. The cabinets are rough plywood; he never got around to finishing the veneer on them.. I know, too bad. Cross-overs were manufactured by a friend.

How do they sound? Simply put; stunning. They truly can reproduce full orchestral music at concert volume. Debussy's la Mar will bring tears to your eyes...  I kid you not. They're the bee's knees. Why am I selling them? They're in our basement and we're moving in a month. I am sad to say we don't have room for them in our new (smaller) home. He gave them to me years ago and I have his blessing to sell them now. They really deserve to go to someone who knows what they're capable of and who's willing to complete the construction/restoration. 

What's the price? Email me with an offer and we can talk. I'm mostly concerned that they go to a good home. 

Phil

philm162@gmail.com

welcome Phil to the klipsch forum

selling stuff on this forum requires the seller to post a price he wants for his item and then wait for someone to make their offer. pictures are a must along with your location.  good luck

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

Welcome.

There are a lot of experts who will weigh-in here with valuable information, but unfortunately I am not one of them.  I will say you came to the right place, as many of the posters here really are "keepers of the faith" who can inform and guide you.

Despite the fine heritage you laid out, reproductions don't have the same appeal as Klipsch branded speakers.  I would suggest you post some pictures of the speaker, and people like to see details of the horn, front and back.  Close-up pictures of the crossover or "network" would also be helpful.

Sorry you have to part with what are valuable family speakers, but we'll see if anybody here wants to give them a good home.

Edited by wvu80

Again welcome to our little group.

I am currently employed by the same company albeit thru several name changes.

Photos are a must with as much detail on the build as possible to determine value and 'sell-a-bility'

As a group we prefer a stated price for the things being sold as this is not an auction site.

Good luck to you.

Edited by USNRET

OK, those are in pretty rough shape.  Those would not be the first speakers we've seen in rough shape so that's not a deal breaker.  Some people like fixer-uppers if they can get them for a good price.

I think you might be right about the speakers having the most value for their parts.  The biggest problem I see is a buyer would have no idea how to upgrade the crossover because it is a one-off.  One of the first thing buyers of older K-horns do is upgrade the crossover components like the capacitors, and with this set there is nowhere to start.

I think I would see if I could get $500 out of them on your local Craigslist, as shipping would be out of the question.  Post the pictures and let the buyer decide.  I would also let the buyer listen to them before buying if possible, because I think the strongest selling point is the great sound.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

think I would see if I could get $500 out of them on your local Craigslist,

posted 9 hours ago. :mellow:

http://nh.craigslist.org/ele/4881494934.html

condition: good

make / manufacturer: Klipsch

model name / number: Klipschorn

size / dimensions: ~175lbs

No harm, no foul. I did post on CG first this afternoon. "Andrew Seward" emailed me from that post and informed me about this forum, suggesting I would have more luck posting here. Following folks' input here, I just updated the photos there. I'm just following good advice...

Phil

• Like 1

Friend, I didn't come to argue. 

Peace out.

If I came to a forum as a new member I would react the same way as you did, but please don't take the criticism the wrong way.

A non-Klipsch K horn needs to be either a factory built speakerlab product (licensed by Klipsch and built to a high standard) or very meticulously built. 

The crossovers are very telling (I know they were built by someone else).  The layout is sloppy and does not inspire confidence, especially where the bass bin needs to have some difficult cuts and it can be assumed was built in the same fashion as the crossovers.  The horns also look "rough" at best and the use of particle board suggests that corners were cut.

I am not trying to be critical to be a jerk (it was not your work), just do not have an unrealistic opinion of value.  This type of audio really needs to be top notch to have value.  These are probably worth the value of the drivers if they are all in good shape and work. 

Good luck with the sale.

• Like 2