K-400 revisited....

dubai2000

My wife was the one to notice the "Horn" Sound was gone in firing up my new current system a year ago.

The Quick story:

For well over a year, i did what Earl was/is doing, the wife and i had a 1000 mile radius, and money was not that much of a biggie, not when it comes to building a great speaker system.

End of story, iv got Bells/Khorns, im crankin stacked Scallas, Pumping tubes, SS, everything, still not good enough.

Sold the Scallas, now have enough to buy the EAW stacks, upon firing them up in the cave, the wife says, more than enough and "Closer" to the "Sound" we are looking for, but missing the "Horn" sound. selling the splits to Justin Webber (and delivering them) he was selling the K400 horns out of the Splits i just sold him, so i bought them, pulled one 8" mid from my EAW stacks and installed the k400 in each.

Pizzed Off neighbor here i come......yeah baby.

P.S. the wife got the Khorns.

If you look at the Pic close, you will see the k400 in the upper Mid section, and NO i do not give a chit about looks.

Did you consider staying with Klipsch and going with a set of KP-600 stacks in your quest???

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Did you consider staying with Klipsch and going with a set of KP-600 stacks in your quest???

Roger

No, after $4k outlay and a couple years and almost achieving the sound i was looking for, i gave up on anymore Klipscxh for personal use. i listened to everything in the Klipsch line.

I own Khorns, Scallas for the house, for the Cave i went Pro, many people i was dealing with kept telling me this.

Finely someone in Burbank spelled it out for me, Klipsch is a competitor for EAW, so i looked into EAW, Bingo.

Although a tad short in the "Chrispy Horn" section, EAW was the ticket.

Between MY Ears, and the Neighbors complaints, im closer now than iv ever been.

Firing up The EAW stacks i learned quickly, Bi-Amped, Active MUST be done, and this i did.

Will be moving to the outback in Nevada to fully enjoy soon.

Roger

No, after $4k outlay and a couple years and almost achieving the sound i was looking for, i gave up on anymore Klipscxh for personal use. i listened to everything in the Klipsch line.

I own Khorns, Scallas for the house, for the Cave i went Pro, many people i was dealing with kept telling me this.

Finely someone in Burbank spelled it out for me, Klipsch is a competitor for EAW, so i looked into EAW, Bingo.

Although a tad short in the "Chrispy Horn" section, EAW was the ticket.

Between MY Ears, and the Neighbors complaints, im closer now than iv ever been.

Firing up The EAW stacks i learned quickly, Bi-Amped, Active MUST be done, and this i did.

Will be moving to the outback in Nevada to fully enjoy soon.

bravo - maybe you should be a sales rep for EAW

Edited by Randyh

EAW KF850 plus your choice of sub.

5178-MLA4219503905_042013-O.jpg

Horn loaded 15, horn loaded 10 with phase plug, horn loaded 2".

These KF850s are a tad small for my needs, i got this output from four stacked Scallas, other than spend another 2K on four more Scallas or pursue KPT/MCM at twice the price, i opted for the next level.

For the Cave i prefer EAW Cinema Series over Stacked Scallas.

As with Altecs, JBLs, warfdales, they were stepping stones to Klipsch, and Klipsch was a step to EAW.

Even being quite happy w/EAWs, im always up for hearing the next advanced system.   

post-57941-0-22520000-1424089198_thumb.j

post-57941-0-50680000-1424089217_thumb.j

Edited by minermark

Just an update: I have been listening to the K-400 for a while now (every now and then replacing it with the Altec 511) and my initial impression remains: a bit "warmer" sounding than the Altec - as if it plays slightly lower. For the time being ;) my ears prefer it.

Wolfram

• Like 1

Just an update: I have been listening to the K-400 for a while now (every now and then replacing it with the Altec 511) and my initial impression remains: a bit "warmer" sounding than the Altec - as if it plays slightly lower. For the time being ;) my ears prefer it.

Wolfram

Agree, iv owned Altecs and JBLs (Horns), prefer the K400 above both.