Klipsch KPT-456

Let's back up. What's broke? No hf output on one cabinet?   Swap networks or drivers to determine where the failure is. Sometimes this just localizes it to a wiring termination somewhere for a really cheap fix!

This speaker came with no networks whatsoever in either cabinet. In reading I see that it is common for them to be sold in that configuration for theater use. I'm going to use this in my garage and just wanted a passive crossover for ease of use as well as to keep the overall cost down.

I also believe I will need a new diaphragm for the k-1132 because they guy I bought it from had hooked his stereo directly to the tweeter so I assume it's blown. He said he couldn't get any sound out of it :/ This guy was high as a kite when I met him.

It seems to me the networks I have won't be correct for your setup.

The below:

file:///C:/Users/jwcullison/Downloads/KP-456-HF%20B-1%20(1).pdf

is much different and much simpler than what I have.

Unless somebody comes on here and provides a good rebuttal to the contrary, I think you should hold off on buying what I have.

However, I would wager that the 1132 would need only little EQ with an active setup.

jc

Edited by jwc

to test tweeter without a network, turn the bass all the way down on your system, turn volume ALL THE WAY DOWN,  hook up tweeter, slowly increase volume but never much than just a peep. Hear anything?  

Or if you have an ohmmeter, put it across the terminals of the tweeter driver (unhooked from anything else). Should be between 6 and 16 ohms. If tweeter is burned or otherwise dead, it will usually be an open circuit.

Last case - open it up and take a look see for burned areas on the voice coil or shattered diaphragm. 

I dug out my ohmmeter and the driver reads 6.2~6.4 so I guess its safe. Thats a nice surprise.

It seems to me the networks I have won't be correct for your setup.

The below:

file:///C:/Users/jwcullison/Downloads/KP-456-HF%20B-1%20(1).pdf

is much different and much simpler than what I have.

Unless somebody comes on here and provides a good rebuttal to the contrary, I think you should hold off on buying what I have.

However, I would wager that the 1132 would need only little EQ with an active setup.

jc

JC the file you linked isn't readable. Do you think a simple 2-way active crossover would do the job? The big thing for me is to not throw away money on this thing and I thank you for helping make sure I don't.  

yes.....2 way active simple XO at 650Hz..

However, you may find that the HF may need a little EQ.

If I use a active crossover on a single 2-way speaker could I then get away with just using a single stereo amp?  For example Hi signal to right channel and Low signal to left channel. Right speaker to HF bin and Left speaker to LF bin?  Seems simple, am I missing something?

I have a Adcom GFA-545 I could use.

yes.....2 way active simple XO at 650Hz..

If I use a active crossover on a single 2-way speaker could I then get away with just using a single stereo amp?  For example Hi signal to right channel and Low signal to left channel. Right speaker to HF bin and Left speaker to LF bin?  Seems simple, am I missing something?

I have a Adcom GFA-545 I could use.

Yes that would work

Would this be done after the crossover or are would the treble controls on a preamp handle the EQ you refer to?

Only way to really adjust what is needed without a passive....is a graphic or parametric eq.  Treble probably wont address the humps with that driver on that horn

Here is a little setup I had a few Years back.

A little trick I figured out.  The two KPT-904 (KP-450) 15" woofers in parallel have about the same measured impedance as dual K-31's (dual 12" woofers in Jubilee and KLF-30's) at the same frequencies.

So I had a little mini punch with dual K31's with the KP 450 HF.  I used the KP 450 LF and HF XO with the test setup.  Worked great......!!!!!!

post-14392-0-31320000-1423620226_thumb.j