Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I've been skeptical of the global warming believers since the start.  Especially those proclaiming it is man-made.  It seems now the news media is starting to cool (no pun intended) to the assertions.  Which is good.  I think we need more sanity brought into this debate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/globalwarming/11395516/The-fiddling-with-temperature-data-is-the-biggest-science-scandal-ever.html

• Like 1

Hype?  Skeptical?  Scam?  Oh my.  I can't even begin to put forth my incredulity regarding those who don't believe that the damage of what we do as individuals and as a collective society has no effect on the global temperature.  Wow.

• Like 4

I am certainly not skeptical about climate warming as I noticed it 30 years ago without the aid of science.  However, I have my doubts about the significance of human activity to it as these mechanisms are massive and been the norm for earth since day one.  Certainly this warming hasn't approached the levels of the 12th century or so when the best wine came from Britain and Greenland was, well, green. 

I am suspicious of the powers that be on this as they've really made a huge effort to ridicule anyone denying that it's human activity.  My sense is that if the really had the evidence there would be a world wide effort to perfect fusion (30 years in the future now for over half a century due to the pittance spent on it), solar and such. 

No such effort, so methinks these people protesteth too loudly. 

Dave

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I have my opinions, but I sense this topic might be borderline politically controversial - if not extremely so. Therefore I'll with-hold that comment and just say...both parties have their arguments.

It would only become political if some are not capable of having an adult conversation and resort to ad hominem attacks.  There is much room for debate if minds are open.  None if minds are closed.

Do I see changes in the weather? Sure.  Do I think man causes it.  No. Changes have been happening for 5 billion years.  Do I think we can do anything about it? No. Do I think we should do anything about it? No. Don't mess with things you don't fully understand.

EDIT:  I think some explanation is due. Working towards technologies that are greener and better for humanity and the planet is a good thing and I support efforts to make it happen.  But I sense there are political opportunists that would twist those efforts for political gain and profit. And, whatever eventualities our efforts produce, I feel, will have little effect on our planet's ongoing climate adjustments.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

I've been skeptical of the global warming believers since the start.  Especially those proclaiming it is man-made.  It seems now the news media is starting to cool (no pun intended) to the assertions.  Which is good.  I think we need more sanity brought into this debate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/globalwarming/11395516/The-fiddling-with-temperature-data-is-the-biggest-science-scandal-ever.html

in NY , you cant see the sky on smog days , the air has a kinda of a nice odor -like the smell of a car's muffler - you need a mask to filter the nasty dust particles that burn the eyes but again that is not man made ,yep , just natural

• Like 4

Guest Steven1963

in NY , you cant see the sky on smog days , the air has a kinda of a nice odor -like the smell of a car's muffler - you need a mask to filter the nasty dust particles that burn the eyes but again that is not man made ,yep , just natural

You are using a micro example to explain a macro phenomena. Does man create smog in New York?  Of course he does.  Does it change the temperature in Africa?  I'm not convinced.

Randy, nobody here is denying man makes smog. :blink:

they used to give smog warnings - now - they only tell you that the air quality is at a lower level - they say things are improving - that makes me feel a bit better -

... as the Northeast braces for yet another blizzard of historical proportions...

Collecting temperature readings from the various weather stations has, itself, proven controversial.  Skeptics, to prove their points, have gone around and photographed the various weather stations.  You should see some of them.  4 feet from a BBQ grill.  Right next to an airport runway.  Adjacent to a burn barrel.  Things like this show just how sloppy self-proclaimed scientists really can be.

Next to heat exchange coil of an a/c condenser:

Detroit_lakes_USHCN.jpg

MarysvilleCA_USHCN_Site_small.jpg

Tahoe_city3_small.JPG

Lots more like this.

• Like 1

No doubt the activities of man can cause pollution - especially on a local level.  

For all your suffering about air quality in NYC, just hop in your car and drive a couple of hours to some fresh air.  NYC is a pimple on the globe.  

You are using a micro example to explain a macro phenomena. Does man create smog in New York?  Of course he does.  Does it change the temperature in Africa?  I'm not convinced.

the planet turns every 24 hours - next time you use your washing machine - take a close look , did you notice that your clothes got cleaner as they spun around , now add a bit of dirt and spin it , I betcha that your clothes are dirty -  same things with a planet -one huge washing machine -instead that the gases interact -it is called global warming -

• Like 1

the planet turns every 24 hours - next time you use your washing machine - take a close look , did you notice that your clothes got cleaner as they spun around , now add a bit of dirt and spin it , I betcha that your clothes are dirty -  same things with a planet -one huge washing machine -instead that the gases interact -it is called global warming -

Why then do we have weather fronts?

Irrespective of one's opinion about global warming, IMO, the real problem is population.

The space and resources of the Earth are finite.  Population growth is not.  As long as population grows exponentially, there will be problems.  

The power of a geometric progression with a factor of 2 is undeniable.  It is a good bar bet to ask someone to give you $0.01 today, double it the next day to $0.02, double the next day to $0.04, and so forth for 30 days.  You will get over $1,000,000 by the end of the month as the daily payment.  That is in addition to the accumulated prior daily payments.

Population growth is occurring at an equally alarming rate.  Fusion will delay the energy crisis, but not the population crisis.  Our economy is tied to growth.  Growth cannot continue.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 3