Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

Well, since it seems we're being civil:

Speaking as someone who frequently works with the NWS, the SPC, NSSL, and other national weather agencies - as well as an enthusiast, and former Meteorological student...

The fact is...data is insufficient in every camp. There's no more proof of global warming, as there is cooling, or otherwise. However, speaking also as someone who has done archeological surveys and geographical analysis - I can say that the Earth has been much warmer before. Speaking as a history student I can also add that the Earth has historically gone through warming and cooling cycles due to planetary wobble. This is the reason there is evidence of rain forests in the Savannah for example. We only have 150 years worth of data to go off of to assess the "modern era" - and factually, we only have about 70 years of global data - 40 if you only want to count the METAR analysis as well. That's hardly enough to establish a trend.

Interesting fact btw: While it was reported the Earth was warmer this year, ambient analysis - which takes into account atmospheric temperatures in between weather stations, as well as sea surface and continental surface temperatures - was from -6.8 to -0.4 C cooler than normal.

Another interesting fact: Solar temperatures have increased by ~0.09 C every year since measurements began.

• Like 2

Speaking as someone who frequently works with the NWS, the SPC, NSSL, and other national weather agencies - as well as an enthusiast, and former Meteorological student...

The fact is...data is insufficient in every camp. There's no more proof of global warming, as there is cooling, or otherwise. However, speaking also as someone who has done archeological surveys and geographical analysis - I can say that the Earth has been much warmer before. Speaking as a history student I can also add that the Earth has historically gone through warming and cooling cycles due to planetary wobble. This is the reason there is evidence of rain forests in the Savannah for example. We only have 150 years worth of data to go off of to assess the "modern era" - and factually, we only have about 70 years of global data - 40 if you only want to count the METAR analysis as well. That's hardly enough to establish a trend.

Interesting fact btw: While it was reported the Earth was warmer this year, ambient analysis - which takes into account atmospheric temperatures in between weather stations, as well as sea surface and continental surface temperatures - was from -6.8 to -0.4 C cooler than normal.

Another interesting fact: Solar temperatures have increased by ~0.09 C every year since measurements began.

ad hominem

the latest example being the "historic" snowstorm that was recently supposed to bury ny, but didn't.

I think that snow storm was afraid of Earl and decided it liked Boston better. :o

• Like 1

what is your take on the arctic meltdown -

Unfortunately, Klipsch has no specific policy against idiots.

Close the thread

Perfect, thank you, even if you are referring to me.....

If you'd like a political slant in  order to close the thread, here's one....It's all the Republican's fault, and specifically George W. Bush.  

ad hominem

(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.  ??
"vicious ad hominem attacks"

Randy, at this point I attribute it also to wobble.

Siberia has had an increase of over 200% in snow cover and has been consecutively running 6 to 11 C below normal since 2010. There were even reports of minor glacial formation on the north shores. That being said, I also am discounting the assessments made in relation to the Greenland caps - purely because no LIDAR data has supported a thinning of the sheet.

btw....there were just as many posts claiming the "arctic meltdown" to be fact......I guess it's up to the reader to decide.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2738653/Stunning-satellite-images-summer-ice-cap-thicker-covers-1-7million-square-kilometres-MORE-2-years-ago-despite-Al-Gore-s-prediction-ICE-FREE-now.html

(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.  ?? "vicious ad hominem attacks"

Was joking.  Ever since forums became popular, "ad hominem" has been over-used. 

Gotcha, Just playing devils advocate myself  :D , I am a member of marks camp. Man is minuscule in the grand scheme.

• Like 3

what is your take on the arctic meltdown -

Randy, at this point I attribute it also to wobble.

Siberia has had an increase of over 200% in snow cover and has been consecutively running 6 to 11 C below normal since 2010. There were even reports of minor glacial formation on the north shores. That being said, I also am discounting the assessments made in relation to the Greenland caps - purely because no LIDAR data has supported a thinning of the sheet.

would the wobble increase the collision or closeness to an asteroid hurtling towards Earth,

Edited by Randyh

That's an answer I can't give. I can only give you effects here. The only knowledge I have on orbit based matters would be what I learned in school and just reading on the side:

You can not cause an orbit to be skewed without another interacting body. Therefore, if Earth is in a perpetual cycle of wobble (i.e. a top) and has always been, its orbit is already corrected to reflect that wobble. The wobble itself would not cause any change in orbit. But again, that's only what I think I understand - not what might actually be true.

the last time I was in Asia , you could not see 10 feet away - they use charcoal everywhere - NY is heaven compared to Shanghai -
That's because you were in Shanghai... If you were in Manila, PH, the air isn't very clean either. They don't use low sulfur diesel... BUT, go to most of the other locations there and it is still quite heavily populated, but the air is fine. They, at least, were smart enough to decide they wouldn't use nuclear power (fission) in the Philippines, and only recently paid off the debt that the construction loans were causing their country.

Bruce

If you'd like a political slant in order to close the thread, here's one....It's all the Republican's fault, and specifically George W. Bush.

Not going to close it just from your bait, my friend.  But if you or anyone throws any bait out you can expect a side of warning points with it.

Dave

• Like 1