Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

57 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

And government intervention via the Paris agreement is going to stop that? I believe I read somewhere that Greenland has lost a total of 0.3% of ice in the last 100 or so years and you're certain C02 has caused how much of this exactly?

You really just want to argue the short sighted politics of this don't you?

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

No one I know of has questioned that.  It's a GOOD thing.  Maybe it will be actually "Greenland" again as it was in the past.  Is that problem? 

Dave

The only problem is if the rate of change is too fast the down line effects are too negative.  It is one piece of the puzzle taken in a global context.

46 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You really just want to argue the short sighted politics of this don't you?

No, not exactly but I am against the politics involved in all of this. If you look at the data Greenland is actually gaining ice this season beyond what has been normal and while yes, ice has been melting there it has only lost about .3% of its mass in about the last 115 years-- 1/3rd of 1% The earth warms and cools, we are an industrious people and will find a way to cope somehow. Historically, from what I understand warming trends have been significantly kinder to mankind than cooling trends. Looking back through the Climate record the earth is always either warming or cooling.

About Greenland:

"Of course 9,2 trillions of tons may look huge, but once one assumes that the total inlands is ice volume is 2,600,000 km3 (according to the US Geological survey), these 9,2 trillions tons losses represent only a tiny 0,3 p.c. of the total.

So, the climate alarmists are saying that the Greenland's ice cap is melting at a catastrophic rate and now we are just told that for more than one century the losses were almost equal to zero.
Something is wrong with the climate science as it is handled by the IPCC"

From what I understand all of this melting equaled about a 1 inch rise sea level over a century. Historically sea level rise has been roughly 7 inches a century total and has been steady at that pace for a very long time, we are thawing out from the last ice age.

dmigreenland-620x516.png

Miami Beach is seeing more than an inch of sea level rise and spending gobs of money to raise the street level above daily flooding which at current rates will be good for only a few decades. Once again, the issue is the rate of change, not that the planet's climate is always changing.   At any rate, I'm quitting this sophomoric popsicle stand.  Over and out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Miami Beach is seeing more than an inch of sea level rise and spending gobs of money to raise the street level above daily flooding which at current rates will be good for only a few decades. Once again, the issue is the rate of change, not that the planet's climate is always changing.   At any rate, I'm quitting this sophomoric popsicle stand.  Over and out. 

Miami has its own issues for sure but it is not from any change in rate of sea level rise, it has been rock steady for the last 100 years according to NOAA data:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_station.shtml?stnid=8724580

keywestsealevel.png

Yes, perhaps there is no such thing as "global warming" made in part by man? Soot is being deposited on ice fields all over the arctic and "our" planet everywhere, is it just wild fires? Have you ever stepped on black pavement, glaciers are melting quickly.. I must believe that NASA is a political wing of some party I am not familiar with.........

I don't worry too much about global warming, climate change, or whatever you want to call it. The climate seems to repeat patterns over time and as far as I know, I'm not contributing to it. The Earth will long outlast me so don't worry too much about it. Just a big greedy money grab

What the planet really needs is a good old-fashioned plague, in order to get rid of about 40% of the humans on the planet.  That outta reduce the human impact somewhat, and reduce the amount of natural resources needed to sustain the human population, to especially include the non-renewable resources.  As far as taxing to help things out, the vast majority of that money is just given for more grants to scientists for research to support and sustain the "global-warming" scheme....and more support for start-up businesses which rapidly spend all the money on high-living for the honchos, then the businesses declare bankruptcy....and absolutely nothing POSITIVE comes out of that tax money at all...so....it is what it is, but why are taxes being used for this to begin with?

I live in Cooks Bay on Lake Simcoe, Ontario Canada. Think snow...

They just plain STOPPED scheduling big ice-fishing tournaments here because the ice is so inconsistent now.

Sportsmen would come up from Michigan in droves years ago.

Now we just get the locals falling through the ice.

I havent even been out yet this year.

That's a fact.