Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

Chemistry Expert: Carbon Dioxide can’t cause Global Warming:

http://principia-scientific.org/chemistry-expert-carbon-dioxide-cant-cause-global-warming/

"Why on earth do we attribute any heating of the oceans to carbon dioxide, when there is a far more obvious culprit, and when such a straightforward examination of the thermodynamics render it impossible."

"In a nutshell, water takes a lot of energy to heat up, and air doesn’t contain much. In fact, on a volume/volume basis, the ratio of heat capacities is about 3300 to 1. This means that to heat 1 litre of water by 1˚C it would take 3300 litres of air that was 2˚C hotter, or 1 litre of air that was about 3300˚C hotter!

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. If you ran a cold bath and then tried to heat it by putting a dozen heaters in the room, does anyone believe that the water would ever get hot?"

Just now, jjptkd said:

http://principia-scientific.org/chemistry-expert-carbon-dioxide-cant-cause-global-warming/

"Why on earth do we attribute any heating of the oceans to carbon dioxide, when there is a far more obvious culprit, and when such a straightforward examination of the thermodynamics render it impossible."

"In a nutshell, water takes a lot of energy to heat up, and air doesn’t contain much. In fact, on a volume/volume basis, the ratio of heat capacities is about 3300 to 1. This means that to heat 1 litre of water by 1˚C it would take 3300 litres of air that was 2˚C hotter, or 1 litre of air that was about 3300˚C hotter!

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. If you ran a cold bath and then tried to heat it by putting a dozen heaters in the room, does anyone believe that the water would ever get hot?"

This much I can tell you, with a dozen heaters in the room, me personally, I would enjoy a nice cool bath.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Ummm...Seems any standing water in a room gets to room temp pretty quick.  Not sure this is all that sound, though certainly the air mass of the planet only being a degree or two warmer would suggest centuries to impact the oceans in the same way. 

Seems like an easy enough calc for x water mass, known heat transfer rate from air at a given area of exposure, and delta air temp change that could be readily experimentally determined.

Dave

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So, do you believe the sun has an heating effect on the oceans?

If you want to understand the science behind global warming then start by studying the science...easy huh?...Unfortunately, and more often than not, Americans take more heed of the politicians of whatever party they subscribe to, or to their pastor...That is an ***-backards way to approach the subject. Have a chat with your Alaskan brethren, have a chat with the Inuit, or even better join me when I next go on a photo expedition to the Artic. You can argue the causes, though even that seems pointless, but you can't deny the fact that global warming is happening. If you do deny it, then you owe it to yourself to do some research of your own, by now you should have realised that you can't trust a politician, especially a republican, on this issue, and pastors don't generally like science.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldenough said:

but you can't deny the fact that global warming is happening.

Can't imagine why anyone would given we have eons of solid data on the subject...plus I noticed it 30 years ago just from living through it.  So I don't get your point.  The science of the degree which human activity is impacting is certainly open to question as there has been no significant acceleration in the periods of greatest human activity.  In fact, clearly evident that other relatively recent periods were much more significant (past 10k years) than now.  Greenland in particular is nowhere near as warm as in the 11th century. 

So...your point?

Dave

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oldenough said:

So, do you believe the sun has an heating effect on the oceans?

Finally, someone who understands science on a worldwide scale.  I'm not being snarky, the sun controls all. 

Include sunspots in your thinking if you want to understand global warming.

It's a shame that a forum associated with PWK's name, a guy who was an actual scientist, has devolved into a hive of idiots who will believe almost anything, however ridiculous, and hold on to their lunacy with such determined ferocity.

And **** you, Dave, for trying to keep this a "safe space" for such lunacy.

• Like 1