Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

I don't know how some of you guys sleep at night… Your constant denial of things happening in this world and in this country is just beyond belief to me. Maybe the bottom line is that especially in the case of global warming, that deep down you really don't care, mainly because you'll never live long enough to see the serious results. Your denial will come back to bite you in the *** when your grandchildren are as old as you are now.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Maybe the bottom line is that especially in the case of global warming, that deep down you really don't care,

Oh, I don't think that's quite true.  Maybe some of us have explored more facts than you have and have come to a different conclusion.

You never  know.  B)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mungkiman said:

How do you feel about coal?

I'm from West Virginia, a coal state as you may know.  We have a balanced budget law here so we stay pretty even every year. 

Thanks to Pres Obama tightening up standards for coal fired power plants, we have had several go out of business.  That killed the coal mines and the rail roads in our area, and now we have a $195 million deficit in this year alone, and we haven't gotten to FY 2017 yet.  It's a disaster for West Virginia.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of coal.  I'd like to see more hydro.

• Moderators
On 2/28/2015 at 6:15 PM, Mallette said:

Agreed. But so futile.  We need millions of acres returned to nature.  When it comes to the carbon issue nobody points out that it has been the great forests of the earth that handled that for eons.  They are functionally gone.  Not surprising that, like a human body with no pancreas and blood sugar run amoke killing it, carbon dioxide is building up with nothing to control it. 

Yes, I am re-arranging the deck chairs on Titanic.  Most who hear that don't realize it was the right thing to do.  At least it allowed that person a since of order in the face of that which they could in no way alter.

Dave

Actually, it's the oceans (70%) with rain forests contributing 28%.  If you killed all of the rain forests it would take eons to kill the entire planet.  

If the oceans tip, the planet would be dead in less than a decade, whether there are forests or not.  A slow miserable death.  The entire planet, except for plants, with COPD.  

The Mongols could probably ride it out, along with other peoples who are born and raised above 10,000 feet.  They could move lower after other people people died off.

The oceans are warming, I think I posted the data on that about a year ago in this thread.  

4 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

Actually, it's the oceans (70%) with rain forests contributing 28%.  If you killed all of the rain forests it would take eons to kill the entire planet.  

If the oceans tip, the planet would be dead in less than a decade, whether there are forests or not. 

Crikey, barely remember that post or thread.  However, your math doesn't add up.  You suggest the planet dies if the oceans tip and it happens in a decade as they contribute twice as much as forests, but if the forests die instead of the assumed 2 decades based on the oceans it is eons? 

Dave

7 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Crikey, barely remember that post or thread.  However, your math doesn't add up.  You suggest the planet dies if the oceans tip and it happens in a decade as they contribute twice as much as forests, but if the forests die instead of the assume 2 decades base on that it is eons? 

Dave

Was he talking about food?