Global Warming. Is the hype coming to an end?

Guest Steven1963

I think there is legitimate concern for the health of our oceans, radiation leaks in Japan, massive plastic islands and unthinkable amounts of raw sewage being dumped into it every year to name a few. From the limited research I've done increased C02 and slight temperature increases are actually healthy for life in the ocean, the other things are not.

1 hour ago, jjptkd said:

Hidden peer reviewed data by the IPCC?

An inconvenient truth?  Interesting he was predicting record snowfall in the coming (here now) winter.  California is experiencing exactly that, don't know about elsewhere. 

Dave

12 minutes ago, Mallette said:

An inconvenient truth?  Interesting he was predicting record snowfall in the coming (here now) winter.  California is experiencing exactly that, don't know about elsewhere. 

Dave

We just had 4 inches of snow here in the PNW, which by itself is not that unusual but it was, I believe the 6th time this season we've had measurable snow. A typical good snow year we might see 2 or 3 events, we've already doubled that and still have a month of winter to go.

Several sites I've looked at are predicting global cooling to start any time from this year out to early 2020's. We've had an 15 year "pause" already in warming but they continue fudging the climate data in hopes of securing the Paris agreement.

"America has the right to unbiased science:"

• Like 1

"We treat the planet like dog crap," and Lamar Smith is a big booster of that.  Climate change, whether warming leading to overheating or warming leading to cooling is still an issue that will create consequences causing a reactionary effect from mankind.  The seas are rising and the glaciers are melting.  Check out the one in Glacier National Park which has been disappearing since at least the late 1800's (which was basically only the beginning of the industrial revolution).  To hell with all the politics surrounding it.  A better idea would be to stop polluting and plan constructively for the consequences.  Or we can continue to react behind the curve as usual, whatever, right?

This thread has done a great job of exposing how politicians of all stripes have used the issue for every which way except to tackle the issue head on.  Cleaner power?  What a horrible idea! 

It seems to me the notion of a cleaner planet doesn't need data, fudged or otherwise.

I agree 100% in cleaner energy and curbing / cutting / cleaning up pollution as best as we can but glaciers have been melting steadily for at least 100 hundred years before the great rise in C02 and to blame it on "Man" and then tax the sh!t out of everything to stuff MORE money into politicians and people like Al Gore's pockets is just crazy to me.

38 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It seems to me the notion of a cleaner planet doesn't need data, fudged or otherwise.

Who suggested dirty power as a good thing?  I've said elsewhere in these pages many times that a national Apollo or Manhattan level project would yield practical fusion in 10 years or less.  The science isn't open to question...simply the will.  So why aren't we doing that?  Solar is rapidly becoming viable economically, but doesn't apply to many needs. 

Don't kid yourself.  I've also said for years that it's too late to "save the planet."  It's already quite trashed and you can't bring back the dead...yet.  We CAN stop destruction of the few percent of our natural inheritance that remains.  But as I have said for years "If you really want to save the planet, GET OFF IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  Mother Earth has taken us as far as she can and we've consumed her.  Time to let her heal." 

Giggle at will, but some day in the future I'd love to know there will be a beacon from earth that advises visitors "Human Home World Galactic Monument...Pack it in, pack it out, and leave no trace." 

2 hours ago, jjptkd said:

"America has the right to unbiased science:

Agreed.  But such is history.  I advise all to ignore third party reporting of science.  Research and read only primary source materials before forming any opinions.  "Climate change deniers" has the same ring today as "heretic" did in the 16th century.  To question climate change is, indeed, insane.  Questioning human impact on it is not insane.  It's skeptical.  Skepticism in the service of truth is a good thing.

Dave

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I worked in Greenland for 10 years and the ice cap is melting. Done deal.

No one I know of has questioned that.  It's a GOOD thing.  Maybe it will be actually "Greenland" again as it was in the past.  Is that problem? 

Dave

22 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Like Bill Belicheck says, "I only know what I can see". I worked in Greenland for 10 years and the ice cap is melting. Done deal.

JJK

And government intervention via the Paris agreement is going to stop that? I believe I read somewhere that Greenland has lost a total of 0.3% of ice in the last 100 or so years and you're certain C02 has caused how much of this exactly?