Better Call Saul (spoilers ahoy!)

Ceptorman

BCS is a great story. This is the kind of story telling that was once only found in books (you could almost picture this as a Kurt Vonnegut story). TV is going through an amazing burst of creativity right now that rivals any of the arts. Like after 75 years, they finally found their groove. If only the movie industry now would catch some of this creative flow.

We binge watched the first season of "True Detective" last week (Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey on HBO) WOW - that one will pop your cork too, if you like the genre. I will look for Battle Creek - thanks!

I do some writing -- and, like you, I enjoy a good story.  People ooh and ah at special effects; but, they remember a good story for a long time.  Heard a radio host talking about trying to create a sitcom. he had two friends that were in the industry already and they told him that networks want familiarity.  The example used was a man & woman running towards each other in an open field.  The networks want them to have that familiar embrace…they don’t want to see the guy gets hit by a truck.  He said that is why the same storyline has been used over and over and over -- that’s what has been successful in the past and so that is what the networks want.   Not saying that is true; but, it wouldn’t surprise me. 

Strangely, i’ve read that “good stories” are harder to sell on the big screen. The superheroes and such seem to have a global audience and those have the studios salivating. 

Edited by BigStewMan

You write?
  Yes.  Not published yet...and actually my creative writing has taken a backseat lately to another project and guitar playing. I was going at a good clip and my house was robbed--two computers stolen; including my prized story.  I know the story and have tried to rewrite it; but, just run into a brick wall every time.  Talked to my brother about this and he relayed a story that he heard Garrison Keillor tell.  He lost a manuscript in an airport once. He said it was his best work and he tried several times to rewrite it and just can't.  Perhaps it was like a performance--sometimes it only happens once.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm very seriously thinking about quitting working and hitting the road.  I imagine that will give me plenty of time to write and play the guitar; and the new places, people, and experiences will undoubtedly provide new material.

Good luck with your novel.  My brother's college roommate is on his 15th rewrite--he's at the point of dealing with publishers. I applaud him sticking with the story though.

• 10 months later...

Did you notice that the expensive tequila they drank was the same brand that the used to poison all the drug dealers in Breaking Bad? 

The same guy (loudmouth stock broker) who they conned into buying the tequila is the guy in Breaking Bad that got his car blown up by Walter White.  I believe it was at a gas station.

• Like 1

Slippin' Jimmy is back. The cushy job can't last long from here. He will no doubt lose the GF too.

I don't remember the girlfriend in BB so no doubt he'll screw that up.  I think we saw the first chinks in his armor with him making the video and thinking it's ok as well as his revelation to himself that keeping the 800k wouldn't have been a bad thing to do.

"Squat cobbler" was a good line also!

Did you notice that the expensive tequila they drank was the same brand that the used to poison all the drug dealers in Breaking Bad? 

The same guy (loudmouth stock broker) who they conned into buying the tequila is the guy in Breaking Bad that got his car blown up by Walter White.  I believe it was at a gas station.

Good call on both of those scenes. I thought the stockbroker guy looked familiar. 

This show is moving along nicely, I think Chuck has it in for Jimmy.

"Squat cobbler" was a good line also.

I wonder if this show will go as far as to have an appearance by Walter White or Jessie?

• Like 1