138db @ 100 feet

Max2

I remember hearing the engine start when they would test those things.  Loud and frightening even a half mile or more away once they reached speed and the sirens cranked up.  During the Cuban missile crisis, people would immediately check their watches to make sure it was noon.  Most of us just wished they stop testing until the crisis was past.  Even knowing it was a test was unnerving and made one consider the unthinkable.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

I was just telling the PAW, too young to have heard these, about how they phased as they turned making it even more unnerving.  "Something horrible this way comes..." seemed to be the message.  Gives me chills even now. 

My city had a huge defense plant that made a lot of HE ammunition.  It was built during WWII.  They had disaster horns that were equally frightening.  In 1967 a 105mm shell blew up on the line killing 12 and injuring a lot more.  I remember the sound of that horn from 12 miles.  At the time, I didn't even know they had them...but I knew immediately precisely where it was and why it was sounding. 

Not sure of the frequency but it was very, very low like that of a classic ocean liner.

Dave

That is a stock 426 Himi, there were a few of these made.

My dad and i were in Arz in the 60s, some kind of Fly/in, we could hear an air raid siren somewhere in the distance, no biggie they tested these critters all the time in the 60s.

Later that day someone flew in from a local air strip, the guys were all sitting around talking and this subject came up, i listened, one of the guys said the siren came was based at his local air strip, they started talking Mileage, one went and fetched his Nav map and they found the strip was over 40 miles away, something to do with the canyons Amplify the sound.

Later that year dad and i got to see it, it was one of these, but green in color. 

That is a stock 426 Himi, there were a few of these made.

My dad and i were in Arz in the 60s, some kind of Fly/in, we could hear an air raid siren somewhere in the distance, no biggie they tested these critters all the time in the 60s.

Later that day someone flew in from a local air strip, the guys were all sitting around talking and this subject came up, i listened, one of the guys said the siren came was based at his local air strip, they started talking Mileage, one went and fetched his Nav map and they found the strip was over 40 miles away, something to do with the canyons Amplify the sound.

Later that year dad and i got to see it, it was one of these, but green in color. 

no it was not a 426 ,, as these were built in the late sixties  only - these sirens wer built  during the World War II and Cold War era from 1952 to 1957 (second generation) by Chrysler, its power plant contained a newly designed FirePower Hemi V8 engine with a displacement of 331 cubic inches (5.42 l) and producing 180 horsepower (130 kW).[1]

Edited by Randyh