Klipsch CF-3 opinions

tromprof

There are a pair of CF-3s for sale in my area. Seller wants $599 which I am sure is high but are these good speakers? I have never heard any from this series. I have been playing around with the idea of upgrading the KG4s in my living room. I will probably give these a pass but would still value informed opinions just in case.

my opinion based on owning a pair of the epic cf-4's & hearing cf-3's is that these are a very good speaker for all kinds of music & even movies. first you should know there were 3 "series" of the epic line, the 1st is considered the better speake, #2 & #3 follow. easiest way to determine series 1 is the bass ports are longer, 5" or so vs only 2-3" for the 2 & 3 series.  

i think these are better than the KG 5.5, they have better bass & smoother mids & highs, handle more power & have much better cabinets. for sound they are easily as good or better that the KLF 20 & the cabinets are better too.  in my opinion. 

$600 may be on the high side for cf-3's, but if they are series 1 & in excellent shape & not black... im sure you could get them for a little less.  cant buy anything new for $500-600 that will compare.  

Edited by klipschfancf4

I have had Epic CF3's vs.1's for 12 years or more now, and I have not heard another speaker that I would sell them for and I attend Audio shows whenever possible as well as visit high end audio shops. The Epics do what a great many speakers just can't do. Concert level effortless slam when cranked and yet also excel at low level listening for late night sessions.  They have powerful bass and the highs are smooth.   They are well worth the asking price and more, in my humble opinion.  I have not heard a great many of the older Klipsch speakers and so can't compare.  But I have heard 100's of speakers costing from 5000 to 50,000 dollars and on so many levels they just can't touch some  ofthe great qualities of the Epic line. I myself give much props to Roy Delgado in their creation. 

• Like 1

They are black and not pristine so the price is certainly high.

I have owned most of the heritage line and heard the KG and reference lines but the Epic and KLF lines are a new one to me. I will probably pass on these since they are not a steal but I appreciate the advice.

Edited by tromprof

I currently own a pair of walnut CF-3's purchased new about 1994, they are either late series 2 or early series 3. I like them them and agree with the above comments.

What kind of amp are you using the cf-3's with. I am currently using a Yamaha AX570 100wpc and they seem to like this amp. I had a  tube amp for a bit and use them briefly with tubes but not long

Does anyone know of a impedance graph/curve for these speakers? I would like to see it.

Bob

They are black and not pristine so the price is certainly high.

I have owned most of the heritage line and heard the KG and reference lines but the Epic and KLF lines are a new one to me. I will probably pass on these since they are not a steal but I appreciate the advice.

The KLF and Epic lines are MUCH better than the KG's and better than most, if not all of the Reference stuff... except maybe the RF-7's... which as a 2-way with a different sound is liked by some, but not all.

Passing on them without knowing if they are version 1's, with the 5.5" ports and made during the first year (1994) of manufacture... and not being familiar (or heard them?) with them is not a really good reason.

Again, the price for version 1's is not out of line, even if the cabinets aren't "pristine". I'd say unless you've verified what they are, and listened to them (CF's do have a unique sound), then you might be passing up a heck of a deal. Particularly if you made an offer of $450-$500 to see what happens.

And they would be a huge step up from KG4's...

Just my $0.02

Edited by GPBusa

CF3 V1 owner here. The Epic line is everything these folks have said they are. They are truly remarkable speakers as they can play any musical genre you throw at them; and play it damn well. As previously stated, they are silky smooth and laid back - unlike any other Klipsch product ever produced. I feel this is why many in the Klipsch community detest their existence. On the flip side, they do have a strong following as well. I highly recommend that you at least give them a listen, you might discover you can't live without them.

If they are V1's.....they are worth the asking price and worthy of your consideration IMO. So long as the drivers are in good shape, the cabinets could be rehabbed down the line. Roy Delgado captured lightning in a bottle with the CF3/4 V1 making them one of the best products to ever come out of Hope. As Moray has said many times - "If Roy Delgado touched it......you should be interested in it". There is much validity to his logic :)

As klipschfancf4 has suggested, measure the ports. You want to see that they are longer than 2.5". If they end up being 2.5", all is not lost. You need to take a peek at the internal wiring and see if they are colored wires or translucent (like the first generation cable offered by Monster Cable). If it has the Monster type wiring, they are V2's and could easily be brought to V1 specs by simply changing the port length. A quick inspection of the serial number would give you an idea of which version they are as well. You want to see "49" in the 4th and 5th digit indicating they were built in 1994. They would at the very worst be V2's if this were so. The first 3 digits are supposed to represent the day of the year in which they were built.

And to reemphasize what GPBusa said - CF3's would be a major upgrade over your KG4's :)

Edited by DORF

My CF-3's are most likely v2's or 3's but I'm thoroughly happy with them. Sure, there were some changes to them along the way but it doesn't make the later versions complete turds because of it. But $599 for not-so-great-shap black, I'd pass on. I gave $450 for mine in Oak and they are gorgeous. I did have to do the rear panel fix on them but that wasnt a big deal. Funny that my KLF-30's don't "pop" like the CF's did. I'll still open them up to inspect and brace them a little more. Nothing crazy though.

Oh I know. I have nothing against LS's at all. I built a pair when I was 15 with plans given to me (when I was 15) and my uncle (master craftsman/carpenter) by PWK while at a visit to the Hope plant (I live in Searcy). I loved their sound but they are too music particular and id have to have more bass if I were to ever own/build another pair. But nothing against them at all.

can the version 3 be brought back to version 1 or 2?

the networks can but the woofer are different as far as I know. Rev 3 still a fine speaker. Best regards Moray James.

I believe the horns changed after version 1 as well, I read somewhere the originals had a greyish tinge to them. I like my 3's.

Bob

can the version 3 be brought back to version 1 or 2?

the networks can but the woofer are different as far as I know. Rev 3 still a fine speaker. Best regards Moray James.

I believe the horns changed after version 1 as well, I read somewhere the originals had a greyish tinge to them. I like my 3's.

Bob

there was a shift in the resin of the horn not the horn all the horns are physically the same as far as I knoe and are all just fine as far as I know and with a some brace work and a layer of Dynamat my Rev3 horns sound excellent. I think of them are the poor mans K510. All the CF3/4 horns are thin walled and need some attention so not to flex under heavy drive. Best regards Moray James.