WTB: Academy, KLF-C7, and/or KV-4 center channels

Shaun K

Hi everyone,

New to the forum but very happy to be here.  I'm a (fairly) recent convert to Klipsch, with my first purchase being a pair of CF-2's about two years ago.  Since then, I've also picked up some KM-4's, KLF-10's, and am about to order some Heresy III's.  With that in mind, I'd like to find some center channels to match these speakers.  I've listed them in order of importance and preferred color:

Academy (black preferred)

KLF-C7 (black preferred)

KV-4 (Like Henry Ford said, you can have any color you want as long as it's black)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

-Shaun

Edited by Shaun K
  • Like 1

Welcome, Shaun,

Will be interested in the responses to your question.  I have KLF-30s for fronts, and 20s for surrounds.  At first, I had the KV-4 center (left over from a previous configuration).  I thought it sounded very good.  But then, I am not an "expert".  Read several times that the KLF-C7 was the center intended for the KLFs, so when I had the opportunity, I acted quickly to get the C7.

Conclusion:  I think that I hear some better sound from the C7 over the KV-4.  But I could not swear how much.  5%? 10%? 20%?  Don't know.

Can't even define what is "better" that I hear.

Am sure that those who have a) more knowledge and B) a better, more informed ear and understanding will be able to add insight.  

I welcome it.  I would like to know better what I am hearing!

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1

The 2" compression driver (K-64-KN) on the 90x60 tractrix horn in the KV-4... Is the same as the driver on the 90x60 tractrix horn in the CF-2.

In the CF-3 and CF-4, the 2" compression driver is a K-63-KN. I don't know the differences between the K-63-KN and K-64-KN, but the KV-4 is the center channel match to the bigger CF's. The CF-1 has a smaller 1" compression driver.

The KLF-C7 has a 1" compression driver (K-90-KV) on a 90x60 tractrix horn. It is the center channel match to the rest of the KLF series. And though the KLF-20 and KLF-30 share the same midrange and tweeter, they don't use the same compression drivers as the KLF-C7. Though they all use a 90x60 tractrix horn in the midrange. The KLF-10 also has a 90x60 tractrix horn, but the compression driver is different than all the other KLF's.

The Academy is a closer match to the original Heresy, Forte and Chorus as they all shared 90x40 exponential tweeter horns.

The Heresy 3 is different enough that another Heresy 3 would be the perfect center channel match. But an Academy should still be pretty close.

Regardless, people mix and use them as center channels for many different speakers... "matched" or not. Whatever sounds best to your ears, in your room, is the best way to go.

In my experience, I see more KLF-C7's listed on Craigslist. While Academy's seem to pop up more on Ebay. KV-4's seem to be the hardest to find.

• Like 3

• Moderators
my first purchase being a pair of CF-2's about two years ago.

Welcome to the forums Shaun!  The CF-2's with a KV-3 was my very first Klipsch setup too.  :D   I was BLOWN away at how much detail I heard in the CF-2's compared to my previous Polk Audio RT-800 / CS300 / FX500 setup.  Looks like you are quickly seeing, it's a slippery slope.  :lol:

• Like 1

There is an KV-4 and an Academy for sale on Ebay right now. There is a KLF C-7 for sale on Audiogon.com though overpriced. None are an exact match for the colors you desire though. As was already stated, the KV-4 only came in black.

Edited by shiva

Have a black Academy for sale if interested. Its posted in the garage sale here on this forum. Asking $350 plus shipping. Let me know if interested.

Love this speaker but need to thin out the herd. God Bless my wife for having such patients with my speaker addiction! :rolleyes:

post-55179-0-80680000-1423601044_thumb.j

post-55179-0-19720000-1423601074_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome everyone!  Sorry it took me so long to reply but it's been a hectic week at work.

Welcome, Shaun,

Will be interested in the responses to your question.  I have KLF-30s for fronts, and 20s for surrounds.  At first, I had the KV-4 center (left over from a previous configuration).  I thought it sounded very good.  But then, I am not an "expert".  Read several times that the KLF-C7 was the center intended for the KLFs, so when I had the opportunity, I acted quickly to get the C7.

Conclusion:  I think that I hear some better sound from the C7 over the KV-4.  But I could not swear how much.  5%? 10%? 20%?  Don't know.

Can't even define what is "better" that I hear.

Am sure that those who have a) more knowledge and B) a better, more informed ear and understanding will be able to add insight.  

I welcome it.  I would like to know better what I am hearing!

Thanks for the info!  Not sure I'll ever get to hear a C7 or KV-4 since my KLF10's will probably go away soon.  Maybe I just need a bigger house?

I believe the KV 4 only came in black. I've had several and think they are great. Welcome and good luck in your search!

You are correct...I've updated my ad accordingly, thanks ;)

The 2" compression driver (K-64-KN) on the 90x60 tractrix horn in the KV-4... Is the same as the driver on the 90x60 tractrix horn in the CF-2.

In the CF-3 and CF-4, the 2" compression driver is a K-63-KN. I don't know the differences between the K-63-KN and K-64-KN, but the KV-4 is the center channel match to the bigger CF's. The CF-1 has a smaller 1" compression driver.

The KLF-C7 has a 1" compression driver (K-90-KV) on a 90x60 tractrix horn. It is the center channel match to the rest of the KLF series. And though the KLF-20 and KLF-30 share the same midrange and tweeter, they don't use the same compression drivers as the KLF-C7. Though they all use a 90x60 tractrix horn in the midrange. The KLF-10 also has a 90x60 tractrix horn, but the compression driver is different than all the other KLF's.

The Academy is a closer match to the original Heresy, Forte and Chorus as they all shared 90x40 exponential tweeter horns.

The Heresy 3 is different enough that another Heresy 3 would be the perfect center channel match. But an Academy should still be pretty close.

Regardless, people mix and use them as center channels for many different speakers... "matched" or not. Whatever sounds best to your ears, in your room, is the best way to go.

In my experience, I see more KLF-C7's listed on Craigslist. While Academy's seem to pop up more on Ebay. KV-4's seem to be the hardest to find.

Great info, thanks for sharing this.  As much as I'd like a 3rd Heresy for a center, my furniture layout doesn't allow it for now.  Maybe in the next house....

my first purchase being a pair of CF-2's about two years ago.

Welcome to the forums Shaun!  The CF-2's with a KV-3 was my very first Klipsch setup too.  :D   I was BLOWN away at how much detail I heard in the CF-2's compared to my previous Polk Audio RT-800 / CS300 / FX500 setup.  Looks like you are quickly seeing, it's a slippery slope.  :lol:

Thanks for the welcome.  I bought the CF-2's on a whim via craigslist, and wondered why the guy had these giant ugly speakers from the 50's all over his house.  Didn't recognize them for what they were at the time ;).  I still love the CF-2's and although they aren't in the living room anymore, they have found a home in my office for now.  I don't think I ever plan to sell those...

There is an KV-4 and an Academy for sale on Ebay right now. There is a KLF C-7 for sale on Audiogon.com though overpriced. None are an exact match for the colors you desire though. As was already stated, the KV-4 only came in black.

I saw both of those, but the Academy seller won't ship and the KV-4 seems a little expensive to me.  Plus I had hoped to deal with someone on this site instead, since there seem to be some very knowledgable people around.

Have a black Academy for sale if interested. Its posted in the garage sale here on this forum. Asking $350 plus shipping. Let me know if interested.

Love this speaker but need to thin out the herd. God Bless my wife for having such patients with my speaker addiction! :rolleyes:

I'm only 4 sets in and my wife has already lost patience with me :).  I'll PM you about your Academy soon, thanks!

Hi Shaun,

Here's a KV-4 near Tampa...

https://tampa.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=klipsch%20kv-4&sort=rel

Wow, that thing is huge!  I have the exact same pair of KLF10's in my living room now and my wife already thinks I'm insane.  I can only imagine what she'd think if I showed up with that one...

I have never seen that before in which someone has put the center channel inside another box to give it that natural wood look.  I like it. Yes, these  center speakers have to be somewhat big as they have to house the twin 8" drivers and the big horn. My C-7 weighs nearly 40 pounds.

• 3 months later...

I'm always late to the party - but I'm used to it. :)

I'm also thinning the herd, so to speak. More accurately, I just don't have enough room for everything and have finally decided what I'm going to keep. So that means everything else has to go.

Shaun, maybe you've already got your academy, and mine is the wrong color, but just in case...

Two back corners have been "banged" and one is clearly 'smooshed".

I've just tested and all drivers work.

Veneer has a couple of scratches.

Grills are in excellent to perfect shape.

Since I have my ChorusII's priced a little high (I really like them, too much bias on my part leads to high price, but I'm sticking with it!) - so, I'll let this go for $200 which seems to be about 2\3 the going rate.

Located in Des Moines, Ia. Whoop! :)

post-49933-0-93820000-1433625808_thumb.j

post-49933-0-04380000-1433625821_thumb.j

post-49933-0-11980000-1433625832_thumb.j

post-49933-0-72780000-1433625842_thumb.j

Edited by Dingman

• 1 month later...