Klipsch ksw12 worth saving ?

gentlejax

I have 2 of these old synergy ksw12 sub's. Was originally going to buy some 300 watt bash amps and fix. Turns out 1 does function but output for music is not as strong as I hoped

I actually have a totally different brand sub in mind if I decide to not work on these.

Is it even worth it? I'd hate to see them not in use at all.

I just don't want to spend $260 on plate amps when new better sub is around that ...granted new amps would be better than originals

gear is:

Denon avr-4800

Klipsch sf-2

DCM Time Frame 10.0

I use it for music . I dont even have a tv hooked into it at the moment.  I got the 2 klipsch subs dirt cheap and 1 works , the other burnt up some reistors.  anyhow....the output from the working sub is weak...its audible but not much there and the gain is around 3/4.

I need to read the manual to see if there is any other setting on the 4800 I am overlooking.

hate to not use the subs as they were dirt cheap and 2 is better than one...usually... it wont take much to make them passive and just run them of bash amps or something like that.

room size is about 14 x 12

Edited by gentlejax

I just don't want to spend $260 on plate amps when new better sub is around that

That makes sense.  You can patch up your old sub and make it work but you'd still have a patched up old sub.  Subwoofer technology has come a long ways since your sub was new.

I just don't want to spend $260 on plate amps when new better sub is around that

That makes sense.  You can patch up your old sub and make it work but you'd still have a patched up old sub.  Subwoofer technology has come a long ways since your sub was new.

True but what exactly would be improved in this case ? The current synergy 12 has different cone but not much else I know of different.

It would be easy to remove the old amps and seal off where they were and just run the bash amp separately. Speaking of which , the amp probably would make much difference in these cases .

Bash amp is 300@4ohms. The original amp on these is 105@? Ohms

I've done a lot of reading and you can't get much for $200. Parts express has a 12 in a box for $149 and a 15 in a box for $200. At that price I am sure all the parts can't be very good.

Bash 300 amp will run me135 now. If the driver and box work with the bash 300 then I can do both for decent

I just hate to toss them out, the ref 12 at best buy didnt feel as solid as thiscsub does

It seems that your mind was made up before you asked the question.

Not 100%, more like was hoping someone would see post and say they modified them and made them better. Lol

I went ahead and ordered a 300 watt bash amp. Then I will do a side by side against the still working .

As it is they are for sale and nobody local had asked.

I feel if I want to get anything out of them I'm going to have to invest in a little work.

I'm really hoping this amp will make a nice difference.

Of all the current stuff out I feel these are worth attempting.

I'm really hoping this amp will make a nice difference

Just be careful with the gain.  You're basically tripling the available power to the driver and it won't have a built in high pass filter to protect the driver like the original one had. 

is the original driver a 4ohm load ?  my meter is broke or I would check....

if so that would be ok cause I could actually run both subs off the one amp , just wire them to show the amp and 8ohm load and it wont put out 300rms.

looks to have a crossover here as well

http://www.parts-express.com/bash-300s-digital-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-300w-rms--300-750

looks to have a crossover here as well http://www.parts-exp...0w-rms--300-750

It does have a crossover (low pass filter) but doesn't have a high pass filter to protect the driver from trying to reproduce frequencies below the tuning frequency of the box. 

maybe I dont understand whats different on the new amp and the amp thats original

Your old sub is probably tuned to around 26 Hz.  When they designed the sub as a whole, they matched the amp to the enclosure.  The amp should has a filter that prevents it from sending any signal below 26Hz.  If the driver tries to reproduce sounds below the cut off it can potentially damage itself as it no longer has the box to protect it from over excursion. 

• Like 1

Your old sub is probably tuned to around 26 Hz.  When they designed the sub as a whole, they matched the amp to the enclosure.  The amp should has a filter that prevents it from sending any signal below 26Hz.  If the driver tries to reproduce sounds below the cut off it can potentially damage itself as it no longer has the box to protect it from over excursion. 

I wasnt aware of any frequency limiters on these nor have I ever heard of that but I am new to home stuff..was always mainly into car audio the last 30 years. 

If the sub cant handle the new amp I will just replace the sub.   never heard of amp being tuned around the sub.  plenty of people have replaced their oem amps with these bash units so hopefully it will be ok

I will have to ask tech support on that question you bring up since I really didnt see any frequency range listed in the specs.

Quick check and I read many others have used this ample on the synergy subs.

Final goal will to be to put better sub in the box after I find one suitable for this box.

I don't expect the poem sub to survive long term. I've looked at it, doesn't look that great compared to my car audio subs.

One thing at a time. Should get amp tomorrow

Hate that I didn't get on this thread earlier. I would have suggested a Behringer nu3000DSP power amp. It is not a plate amp, but a "pro" amp that is rack mountable, but sits fine in an audio cabinet. You program the parameters of the amp on your PC with some cool software and transfer it via USB (as this is not specifically designed for subs.) It costs $280 and offers about 300 watts stereo into 8 ohms, and roughly twice that for 4 ohm. Limiters can be added in the software to keep from too much excursion. I feel bad about posting this now, but you may still want to investigate it......

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000dsp-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6706 

Bryant

Hate that I didn't get on this thread earlier. I would have suggested a Behringer nu3000DSP power amp. It is not a plate amp, but a "pro" amp that is rack mountable, but sits fine in an audio cabinet. You program the parameters of the amp on your PC with some cool software and transfer it via USB (as this is not specifically designed for subs.) It costs $280 and offers about 300 watts stereo into 8 ohms, and roughly twice that for 4 ohm. Limiters can be added in the software to keep from too much excursion. I feel bad about posting this now, but you may still want to investigate it......

http://www.parts-express.com/behringer-nu3000dsp-inuke-3000-watt-power-amplifier-with-dsp--248-6706

Bryant

thats ok..this was more a experiment than anything else.  I totally didnt see that amp but I am looking at it now.  thanks