Songs That Transport You Back In Time

Tom Adams

I don't post here much anymore, but I do lurk often.  Not sure why the "audio bug" has dwindled in me a bit, but it has.  However, music still olds a special unique place in my life.  

Recently I was having a conversation with a buddy and it triggered a thought that I felt you guys would probably understand.

I guess music (practically ALL music) has been important because I heard it in my house from the beginning of my existance on this Earth.  The sounds ranged from my Dad's strumming a banjo to Mom singing to my oldest sisters 45's & Beatles records.  I don't really remember this, but my Dad said I whittled a pair of drum sticks out of a couple of tree branches, then collected various cardboard boxes for their "tune" and made a drum set.  LOL.....  Bet they didn't stay in tune for long.  ARGH.....the dreaded piano lessons, watching my oldest sing & act in little theater productions, playing trombone from the 6th grade all the way through college culminating in the pinnacle of my music career being second trombone in the almost world famous Art Cissle and The Stardusters big band!  Hey don't laugh - some of those American Legions could get really wild!  LOL.....  Anyhow - back to the topic.

Anyone else hear a song and it reminds you of a specific time, place or event?  I'll share one.  The Doobie Brothers - Black Water.  I was in the back seat of my '68 Camaro Rally Sport with Sherry Kingston (first girl I ever kissed) and we were parked on a beach turn out parking area on Hwy 90 on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.  The sky was clear, a warm breeze off the gulf, the windows open and a Doobie Brothers tape in my Craig 8-Track stereo.

Tom

• Like 1

I was a bit teary eyed a late afternoon in the spring of 1967 as I turned onto the street to my house and saw a brilliant red sun about to go down.  I'd just broken up with my first love.  The radio played, lyrics from memory:

Now I know you're not the only starfish in the sea,

and if I never hear your name again it's all the same to me!

And I think it's gonna be alright,

Yeah, the worst is over now,

the morning sun is rising like a red rubber ball.

I felt immediately better and I can still hear that song, see the green 1963 Chevy I was driving and that brilliant red rubber ball in the west.

Good fun, Tom, and good to hear from you.

Dave