La Scala advice

imahawki78

I've got a line on a pair of La Scalas.  They're black.  Seller says their from '83 and he's the original owner.  There are some scratches and chips but nothing structural and he says they are sonically perfect.  They looke like they need dusted and some touch up paint.  The stickers are pretty faded so I can't tell the "type" on the back.  The crossovers say AL.  I've been hunting for a pair within driving distance for over a year.  These are about 250 miles away but I'll be traveling to this city in a month any way.  Any thoughts in general?

How much is he asking? Can you post photos? I see that you answered while I was composing. Do you want fine furniture or merely La Scala sound?

For reference, I purchased the beat up pair for $400 and turned them into these after spending another $400 to replace both woofers, refresh the networks, Bondo and paint. They've served the local high school well for several years.

If you're going to work on the cabinets, you might consider the djk bass bin mod. See https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/72504-ported-la-scalas-photos-and-review/

and search the forum.

$1,300 seems a bit high.

post-6832-0-84360000-1423623229_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-18640000-1423623240_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-41520000-1423623253_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-81440000-1423623296_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-21000000-1423623313_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-60120000-1423623361_thumb.jp

post-6832-0-52040000-1423623860_thumb.jp

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 2

Guest Steven1963

He might be asking a premium because he knows they don't come up often in your area. I live on the left coast and I bought a pair for $1,000.  Plain birch but almost perfect. Turned around and sold them a few months later for $1500.  So...

Bottom line is, if you want them, get them. They are only worth what you are willing to pay for them.  

Just make sure you audition them first to make sure all the drivers are working properly.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

First, thank you all for the advice.  I do want nice looking speakers.  I live in a well decorated, contemporary home.  My guess is I'd do some touch-ups right away and then refinish them some time down the road so they're "furniture grade" as you say.  Given the pictures, what IS a good price?  If I go back and make an offer that is fair and it doesn't work out, I'd probably feel better than just walking away.

I found the CL listing, and I can tell you that the Yammy receiver is worth only about $100, at most.  So certainly 1650 is out of the ballpark.  Looked at your system list, and you've got some great stuff....what's the hurry?  I know, it's been a year, and you are in a difficult market (I guess), but really, even an offer of 1300 is 300 more than I'd pay, and have to drive a fair distance to get them....Have you put a WTB ad on CL, or on Audiokarma, or on this forum?

Any thoughts in general?

Yes change your avatar and username traitor, wheres my pitch fork.  

Ok welcome to the forum, nice to see more members from the area.  I know they don't come up often, but it seems about every 6 months you get a pair(in better shape).  If your willing to spend that, why not look for a pair in better shape for 1000.00 and spend the 300.00 to travel(hotel, gas, etc).  We should get some sort of logistics going through the area, as there seems to be good deals to be had.  Dwillile purchased a pair like those from here about a year and half ago for around 500.00.   Good luck and sit tight something better will come up. 

Guest Steven1963

Given your location and if what you say about rarity and your desire to have them I'd pony $1200 and not a dollar more.  But you are going to hear others on here tell you no more than $800.  I think he will tell you to go jump in a lake if you offer him that.

First, thank you all for the advice.  I do want nice looking speakers.  I live in a well decorated, contemporary home.  My guess is I'd do some touch-ups right away and then refinish them some time down the road so they're "furniture grade" as you say.  Given the pictures, what IS a good price?  If I go back and make an offer that is fair and it doesn't work out, I'd probably feel better than just walking away.

Actually if these are the right pictures - they aint that bad - 1000$ for sure  they are worth it - logos  and grilles

• Like 1

Yeah, not sure what his lowest option is.  The ad is a month old.  Its in Iowa City (don't think anyone's going to scoop me since the price seems high).  He did tell me he already "replaced" them in the room their in with a smaller home theater system as the reason he's selling is they're too big, bad WAF.  I actually haven't tried to post a WTB yet.  Maybe I should do that before I jump on these.

• Like 1

Any thoughts in general?

Yes change your avatar and username traitor, wheres my pitch fork.  

Ok welcome to the forum, nice to see more members from the area.  I know they don't come up often, but it seems about every 6 months you get a pair(in better shape).  If your willing to spend that, why not look for a pair in better shape for 1000.00 and spend the 300.00 to travel(hotel, gas, etc).  We should get some sort of logistics going through the area, as there seems to be good deals to be had.  Dwillile purchased a pair like those from here about a year and half ago for around 500.00.   Good luck and sit tight something better will come up. 

Did you at least notice the teardrop... I'm a depressed Hawkeye #FireFerentz.

• Like 1

Actually if these are the right pictures - they aint that bad - 1000$ for sure  they are worth it - logos  and grilles

I agree. Offer $800 and go higher, if you want them. About $1,300 would be as high as I'd go.

• Like 2

I really want a pair of Heresy's, I paid 350.00 for mine in 08.  I have been holding out for some time for another pair, like Steven said its all what they are worth to and how long you want to hold out.   I think there are better deals to be had, sit tight we'll find you a pair. 

• Like 1