La Scala advice

imahawki78

I'm pretty bad about jumping on equipment that is priced high because I knew it was unlikely the opportunity would come around again any time soon.  For black Lascalas I'm not so sure I'd go much over 1k in that condition.  If you HAVE to have them then go for it and don't feel bad about it.  Just write off the extra expense as what it cost you to have them NOW.  Personally, I'd wait unless he wanted to come down.

Well, I texted the guy the following (I'm a straight shooter)

OK, I did some research.  For the sake of transparency I hit up the Klipsch forum to ask some questions.  The advice I got from multiple posters is this vintage is worth $1300 if truly mint (no scratches etc. at all) otherwise between $800-$1000.  I’m not interested in the receiver but its probably only worth $100 any way.  I understand if you don’t want to let them go for that little but if you’re looking to move them let me know.  I can provide you with the advice thread I posted if you’re questioning the valuation.  No offense meant, not trying to low-ball.

He texted back and said he'd do $1000 but no lower.  I think I'm going to take it.

• Like 7

I was going to say, maybe Bo can bring these down for you I mean he has to be making trips back and forth. 

www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Klipsch-La-Scala-Speakers-Pair-in-Black-799-/251833800691?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa276d7f3

But congrats on the deal, I think that is worth it.  

Edited by duder1982

Well I was sending some really long texts to him and what happened is something I've seen before between iOS and Android is that my texts were coming in to him all out of order.  So I ended up calling him.  He was VERY nice and sounded genuinely pleased that an enthusiast wanted his speakers.  So we agreed on $1000.  I'm happy with that.  I know it sounds like they can be had for a little less but it feels like a fair price to me and him and that's what matters.

• Like 3

Good advice from all. I remember those beaters and the old 'the curly one has arrived' from that wild trip to Center Point Ohio Neal.  I was going to chime in that those are nice top grille models too bad he took such horrible care of them. A little touch up, new caps in the networks and all is groovy. Good job guys!  These days with the price of gas and having to drive a bigger vehicle to fetch items like LS, 'close' means a lot. I used to drive all over the place for a pair of Klipsch, can't afford that any more. 

• Like 2

So I know I put the cart before the horse a little bit here but I really wanted these and am not picky about the answer but I do have a question... what will these be made of?  I am going to keep them as is for the rest of the winter before attempting any upgrades or restoration.  But if I do want to restore them, because they are black are they solid birch, birch veneer, MDF?  Are they stained black or painted?  I'm just curious fantasising about my options.  If they are painted I would be fine just sanding and repainting.  If they are stained and have real wood under there, I might look into having them stained a different color.  Make sense?

I know I'm jumping ahead but I'm almost peeing myself with excitement.

Edited by imahawki78
  • Like 1

These days with the price of gas and having to drive a bigger vehicle to fetch items like LS, 'close' means a lot.
Michael, I fit two LS in the back of my Subaru Forester... Worked out great.

Unless they've been painted after leaving the factory, I would think they are black lacquer. Depending on your room, black speakers can start to disappear in the room. Plus, even larger speakers start looking smaller the longer you own them. :rolleyes: . I think that is a good deal. Don't even think of doing any mods or changes for awhile, just make sure all the connections are tight and listen. Listen to them at low levels, listen at a comfortable level, get an idea about the detail in the music.

Bruce

• Like 1

Hawkeye, are you going to be replacing your RF-82II's with these.  Just courios on what your plans are, cant wait to hear what you think.  If you need any help moving them and depending when you go out to get them, I would be more than willing to help.  Just shoot me a pm, I would all so be willing to help if you need it when doing any mods.  Just let me know.

I know your username is Imahawk, but Hawkeye just sounded cooler. B)

Edited by duder1982