La Scala advice

imahawki78

he question I ask myself is: Has the foam surrounding the cones on the Woofer lost its flexibility, or become too flexible over the past 35 years??
It's not foam. The K33 woofers use a clothe surround. You might want to rotate them, but it is probably not necessary.

Bruce

Hawkeye, are you going to be replacing your RF-82II's with these.  Just courios on what your plans are, cant wait to hear what you think.  If you need any help moving them and depending when you go out to get them, I would be more than willing to help.  Just shoot me a pm, I would all so be willing to help if you need it when doing any mods.  Just let me know.

I know your username is Imahawk, but Hawkeye just sounded cooler. B)

I'm not sure yet on the RF-82s.  Your offer for help is very nice.  I shouldn't need help getting them into the room but may reach out to you if I need to replace any parts (e.g. in the crossover) at some future point.

My setup is already partially split between HT and stereo audio.  The Parasound pre-amp has home theater passthrough so I use that to avoid having to swap wires.  What I'll do to start is hook up the La Scalas to the Parasound front end and hook the RF-82s directly to the AVR again (Onkyo).  If I eventually decide to use the La Scalas for HT, I'll hook everything back up as it is now with the La Scalas simply replacing the RF-82s.

• Like 1

These days with the price of gas and having to drive a bigger vehicle to fetch items like LS, 'close' means a lot.
Michael, I fit two LS in the back of my Subaru Forester... Worked out great.

Listen to them at low levels, listen at a comfortable level, get an idea about the detail in the music.

Bruce

lile Bruce said - You gotta listen to these speakers to see if they sound right for you first of all - and to check whether they have issues or are in good condition -as the seller may or may not know all there is about these -

- each speaker has a 15 " woofer K33E - 4 ohms/  a midrange drver k55M -16 ohms  /  and a tweeter K77M 8ohms - both these diaphragms must sound right as they are expensive to repair - about 80$ per midrange and 20$ per tweeter for parts  if you are handy at soldering  - the crossover is the AL  version , about 100$ to rebuild  each - 

-an ohmmeter should help to test the 4 components in a matter of seconds -on the ohms setting - just put the postive and negative prongs and check -

-the tendancy on a lot of scalas is for people to overdrive the speakers blowing the mids and highs - I bought a pair that had both of these blown -

This scala speaker is not your big boom box as the woofer is in a folded horn towards the rear -

-take some time to listen to these with your music - and if the seller doesnt have any , bring an amp and a CD player or whatever you need  for you to sample before you jump up and down -

we all hope you did fall on the right speakers for you - but your ear will be your best judge -take care -

• 2 weeks later...

I continue to do some research as I prep to bring these home.  One thing I'm actually not sure of is exactly what the factory finish on these speakers is.  Is it black paint with a clear lacquer over the top or is it some kind of stain?  Is the current finish all oil based?  Just trying to plan what my options might be if I decide to do a restoration project this summer.

Congrats from one LS owner the another

You can pimp them up and add a bass bin just like mine if the desire is there

Upgrades are only limited by your desire and imagination

I myself don't like doing things by halves

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Another good reason to return to Brisbane.

Were you able to measure the results of your mods, the work looks very impressive.

Are the crossovers DIY??

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I really don't think they are a stain.  I think they are painted, but they could be lacquered also.  I'm thinking since nobody is jumping in to answer your questions is because nobody is really sure either.

"20$ per tweeter"

More like $40, the $20 ones sound dreadful.

I was referring to the 20$ diaphragms for the k77 on ebay  - do you have a source for 40$ k77 diaphragms that dont sound dreadful - if you do - can you kindly share it with us -

"20$ per tweeter"

I was referring to the 20$ diaphragms for the k77 on ebay - do you have a source for 40$ k77 diaphragms that dont sound dreadful - if you do - can you kindly share it with us -
On that note has does one identity the real deal vs a knock off.
  • Like 1

"20$ per tweeter"

I was referring to the 20$ diaphragms for the k77 on ebay - do you have a source for 40$ k77 diaphragms that dont sound dreadful - if you do - can you kindly share it with us -
On that note has does one identity the real deal vs a knock off.

there are  no originals diaphragms any longer  being made by EV  --  making these compatibles   requires the original EV tooling - someone bought the tooling from EV and klipsch -shipped it to the Philippines and is making them with 3 versions - one in a cup soldered - two,  the diaphragm alone - and third a tweeter , the k77F -

-Their workmanship and quality are sub-standard - the ones in the cups are Grade A diaphragms - Thar are made to match the k77F tweeter - the bare diaphragms are the low grade - but unfortunately , the only available diaphragm for the k77

Edited by Randyh

I don't know if the ones I have purchased in the past where nos from EV.  Thats why I asked, I have never felt the sound is sub par.  The guy I have purchased from, is the type to buy out as much stock is possible.  If there was a way to identify that would nice to know. 

I don't know if the ones I have purchased in the past where nos from EV.  Thats why I asked, I have never felt the sound is sub par.  The guy I have purchased from, is the type to buy out as much stock is possible.  If there was a way to identify that would nice to know. 

PM me pictures and I will get back with you to tell you what you have -

Edited by Randyh

Pictures can help me give yoiu the info  - were they in EV boxes with the ev logo -if you have the box , it can help as well

Congrats from one LS owner the another

You can pimp them up and add a bass bin just like mine if the desire is there

Upgrades are only limited by your desire and imagination

I myself don't like doing things by halvesattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Another good reason to return to Brisbane.

Were you able to measure the results of your mods, the work looks very impressive.

Are the crossovers DIY??

Thanks for the compliment Bubo

If you come back to Brisbane look me up and if the stars align you can come over for a listen

All the mods are tuned by ear. However I would dearly love to get some measurements with high quality equipment for accurate readings

Bubo yes the crossovers are DIY here is the thread to see the build from start to finish - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149952-a-crossover-design-on-single-exposed-board/

Edited by Full Range

here is  the reverse side of the diaphragm with the screen and the connectors as they mount over the horn - once aligned with the positive and negative - screw in four screws - no soldering at all  - this guy calls it by it\s right name   -factory k77 F diaphragm -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-La-Scala-Factory-K-77-F-Tweeter-Horn-Diaphragm-Faceplate-Assembly-127126-/151254367672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2337767d

Edited by Randyh

I don't know if the ones I have purchased in the past where nos from EV. Thats why I asked, I have never felt the sound is sub par. The guy I have purchased from, is the type to buy out as much stock is possible. If there was a way to identify that would nice to know.

PM me pictures and I will get back with you to tell you what you have -
bce427d205249438573bc7bcc7dced3a.jpg