Can I feed a Double bass bin Cornscala with a basic receiver no Bi?

Karsoncookie

Planning on building a Crites Cornscala "original" w Crites woofer, K400 and K77 3 ways.

Please don't laugh.I have a very basic Yamaha R8 2 channel receiver that has previously driven stock LaScalas to my satisfaction. Will be using it for these. No question there.

Now I come across Klipsch Pro 2x15" bass bins for sale takeouts from a theater. I'm like "o cool double woofs for cheap"

(Will be ordering xover from Crites and will tell him application.)

Can I feed these 15" doubles in parallel w/o problems???  Lars

I'm not familiar with the Yamaha, but if it has two sets of speaker outputs (an A & B ), then you could possibly drive the Cornscalas off the A and the dual 15's off the B.

And if you're having a crossover built, then you could probably have it configured so that both the L & R from the B set of outputs is sent to the dual bass bin.

The only concern is that many of the older receivers that have switched A & B speaker outputs, may have reduced power when both speaker outputs are switched on (to protect from low loads).

That's the only way I know to attempt it.

Unless you have the owners manual, there's no way to know whether it would like a 4 ohm load or not.

Edited by GPBusa
  • Like 1

If the cornscala is 4 ohms and the double 15 are 4 ohms (likely 2x 8 ohms speakers), that is a 2 OHM load and I wouldn't try it with any home stereo receiver unless you want burn it up in a hurry. Using A and B outputs is the same as plugging them into the same output, it's just a switch, outputs are still in parallel, so that's no solution.  Crossover won't help unless you put a huge resistor in there to change the impedance and that's just a waste of amp power. 

No, get a nice pro power amp for the dual 15's, drive it off a pre-out of the receiver (hopefully it has that. You can still use the receiver's built in amp for your Cornscalas. Consider the amp and double bins a subwoofer system and insert an active crossover network for it or you're going to have a mess on your hands. 

More speakers .not equal. to better sound in many instances. This might be one of them. 

• Like 3

I can't see why not I drive my KLF's with a 2 channel Harman Kardon and it's got 2 woofs per side + a mid and tweeter per side... gonna be fun trying to get it all to sound good together but if you get that licked... ;)

Edited by cradeldorf

You could instead use ALK networks which are constant impedance.  Rewire the woofers to be in series on each box which would be at 16 ohms and use a swamping resistor to bring the HF to match the 16 ohms.  Your receiver would see 16 ohms on each channel.

Just another way to do it if you are concerned about burning up your amp, or worse yet clipping and burning up your speakers.

specs for the yamaha r8 say it can deliver 85 watts x2@8ohms or 100 x2@6ohms

You could possibly go ahead and try the 4ohm load and if you feel much(use your best judgment)extra heat dissipating from the Yamaha r8 vents. keep volume level very low testing then possibly a bit more at a time for testing. you will not need much power considering the efficiency of the cornscala. but even without extra heat it may fail.

That said I myself have ran many receivers very hard(years ago when I really didn't care, I do now)and have seen many others run receivers as hard or more and never had an issue. The total harmonic distortion obviously will raise as you raise your ohm load. Some units actually take the load very well.

As mentioned a large power amp would be a wise choice to save the wonderful speakers you are putting together from clipping. A bit more patience and possibly trading your receiver or buying a quality/you tested used pre&amp. This will provide a much better lasting foundation for many years.

I looked the Yamaha r8 up and it appears to have pre-outs so all you really need is a power amp. The best choice is a power amp running from your Yamaha r-8 pre-outs. Considering just a bit more time/patience and find a descent quality used power amp and you will be good to go.

I do see that the Yamaha r-8 is no doubt good at 16ohms.

The R-8 is actually a nice looking heavy duty receiver

• Like 3

Good info. Makes sense. Thanks all.

Beeker - Thanks for the FYI re: pre outs. I never noticed that.

I assume you mean the RCA's marked"Accessory" with jumpers between the "Send" an "Receive"??

So I'd pull the jumpers, "Send" to a power amp and leave the "Receive"'s unconnected.  Yes?    Lars

Good info. Makes sense. Thanks all.

Beeker - Thanks for the FYI re: pre outs. I never noticed that.

I assume you mean the RCA's marked"Accessory" with jumpers between the "Send" an "Receive"??

So I'd pull the jumpers, "Send" to a power amp and leave the "Receive"'s unconnected.  Yes?    Lars

Yes. The "send" rca's will provide pre-out's from your receiver. Hook the "send rca's" to a power amp then speaker wires to the preamp.

EDIT:TYPO. AMP not pre

Edited by beeker
  • Like 1

yeah your correct. you got it. wires from the amp. ironically I was switching amps when I wrote that.  if its your 1st power amp watch out. once I started buying amps it was just as bad as buying speakers. hopefully you will just stop at 1. its all anybody needs for the most part

Beeker - Again, thank you. My Yamaha r8 - which for me I know will be adequate (we all have differing $ limitations) will be more than adequate after I get it cleaned up from 9 yrs of hot humid storage.(Deoxit by a historied tech, not going to risk it myself, no experience)

If that doesn't work, I'm going to look at getting a Crown 300- one of the models. Again, I need to keep the $ down and I'm very happy you pointed out the "pre" option.  Lars