Introducing myself

UKNorton

I notice that forum members don't seem to rate them quite as highly as other Heritage models, which worries me slightly, but to be honest I'm absolutely delighted by them.

your having no worries is justified, if not by your ears, know you've got the Heritage line.

Welcome to the forum, know be a good blok and tell us how your acquired them, and about the music you listen to.

but to be honest I'm absolutely delighted by them

Thats all that matters, and welcome to the forum.  As I have not heard the Cornwall III, I do own Cornwall I.  Which I listen to everyday,  I guess I never thought about owning a pair of the IIIs.  Guess it just comes down to price (which maybe the reason for some of us).  Anyways enjoy, and nice to see another Cornwall owner around. 

Just wanted to say hello as a new member.

I live in the UK and have recently joined the Klipsch user community for the first time  after  replacing my B&W speakers with Cornwall IIIs.

I notice that forum members don't seem to rate them quite as highly as other Heritage models, which worries me slightly, but to be honest I'm absolutely delighted by them.  Maybe I'm just making up for 12 bass-starved years...but they seem to be a very good match  with my low power DNM s/s amps.      

I also suspect that Cornscalas might feature in my system one day - although with zero DIY skills I imagine the individual shipping costs of a pre-built pair to the UK might be prohibitive..

the C3 is made with MDF and razor thin veneers to cut costs - otherwise the CW3 is superior having seen all the series advances -the drivers are titanium and the woofer has been raised to give out a more defined bass -contrary to previous trends of a 600mhz horn , that new design included the k701 - 700 mhz horn of the Heresy 3 - it does clean up the sound better than a larger horn as the titanium drivers are suited for the smaller k701 horn , balance and overall sound quality were achieved -

the crossover electronics can be replaced if you are tailoring the speaker to specific custom applications  as it is not a part that can be improved so much -again , there are no shortcomings -

a larger frontal midrange horn is the cornscala fad for a speaker using the lower woofer placement - it is going back to the older specs -you would be better off making a new cabinet rather than destroying the original -IMHO -

the improvements that you can do yourself to little or no cost to the C3 are very important -

more padding and insulation on the cabinet are needed everywhere as there were issues with resonance due to the woofer 's high placement and the concentration of sound  to the last 23 inches -

that would enrich the bass , and more so the midrange from bouncing all over -padding foam found in computer server boxes is the best and is identical to the material  some sell as acoustic foam with very high prices -single sheets are needed for the sides , the top and rear panels -

I recently modified a set of CW3 with foam and the job was done with very little glue as I wanted to go back had it not worked better -but the improvement just was so good that it is now permanent - the removal of the woofer and midrange are needed to be able to have access -

sound insulation is expensive and the factory has obviously decided against these costs -

had Klipsch used 1 inch MDF instead -that would not have caused any resonance issues in the C3 but increased the weight overall -

don't know what your system set up is like or your seating but if they are not so positioned set up your CW3 so the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level, which is usually between 39 and 41 inches off the floor. Don't tilt the speakers to do this raise them up and keep them square to the floor. Play with toe in and see what you think. Best regards Moray James.

Welcome to the forum... just enjoy the speakers for heavens sake, I bet they sound great.

I think Randy pointed out all the "issues" some of us might have with owning III's, titanium versus phenolic, mdf versus birch, smaller horn versus larger horn... but one talking point was like left out... and that was one of financial burden of buying these new versus pricing of competitive goods on the secondary market.

There is NOTHING wrong with your cwIII's... it's merely that some of us might like phenolic over titanium... Birch over mdf... and 750$+ modifications over 2000-3000$ otd.

Edited by Schu

Thanks again for more great welcomes and all the feedback.

Whatever their other plusses and minuses, what the Cornwalls are giving me is a real sense of having the musicians right there in the room with you, rather than just listening to a (good) hi fi. So I'm pretty happy with them (for now at least).

I think though that the Heritage range could benefit from being better marketed and understood in the UK as a premium speaker brand, they're pretty hard to track down here.

Welcome Norton, ………London right? I thought you might have lived in Cornwall on the west coast. I myself lived a few years north of London but my favorite place (village) was Portmeirion in Wales. Everybody should Google Earth it - fantastic place.   I also agree that your Cornwall 3's are great speakers, although I went with the modified version Cornscala's.  You will find Imho that your speakers really sing with a low powered tube amp, like 3 to 25 watts. My Cornscala's sound incredible when I also listen to Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo CD collections. Also if you're into movie soundtracks Bernard Herrmann's pieces puts a wow onto everyones lips as I give them a listen.

Welcome to the forum... just enjoy the speakers for heavens sake, I bet they sound great.

I think Randy pointed out all the "issues" some of us might have with owning III's, titanium versus phenolic, mdf versus birch, smaller horn versus larger horn... but one talking point was like left out... and that was one of financial burden of buying these new versus pricing of competitive goods on the secondary market.

There is NOTHING wrong with your cwIII's... it's merely that some of us might like phenolic over titanium... Birch over mdf... and 750$+ modifications over 2000-3000$ otd.

I really don't want to nit pick but I see the birch ply comment often and it is confusing, CW2 and CW3 are made with MDF with wood veneer inside and out to balance them, the CW are plywood with what ever outer veneer they were ordered with. Klipsch does not make home speakers out of thinner (more layers) Birch Ply such as Baltic Birch ply which is plywood made from selects and better veneers meaning furniture grade throughout no voids or plugs of any kind, Birch ply and plywood are not even close to the same product.

Cornwall III Floorstanding Speaker

Availabile Options:

Please select an option to view availability.

DESCRIPTION

Initially introduced in 1959, the Cornwall speaker was designed to serve as a larger, full-range alternative to the Heresy when used as a center channel speaker between two widely spaced Klipschorns. When it was discontinued in 1990, there was an outcry from consumers resulting in a letter-writing campaign and even a petition to bring back this storied loudspeaker.

This famed speaker, now dubbed the Cornwall III, is back and better than ever. A three-way design using horn-loaded compression drivers for the midrange and treble and a direct-radiating 15-inch woofer for the low frequencies, the Cornwall delivers the full-range bass response of the Klipschorn® with sensitivity and output approaching the fully horn-loaded models. The Cornwall III now includes a riser-base, which was optional in previous versions.

SPECS

Frequency Response: 34Hz - 20 kHz 3db

SENSITIVITY: 102 db @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100w max continuous (400 w peak)

MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT: 119db

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

TWEETER: K-107-TI 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: K-79-T Tractrix

MIDRANGE: K-53-TI 1.75" (4.45 cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver

MID FREQUENCY HORN: Exponential Horn

WOOFER: K-33-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber composite cone

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: HF: 5000Hz

LF: 800Hz

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF ****************************

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via front slot ports

DIMENSIONS: 35.75" H (90.81cm) x 25.31" W (64.29cm) x 15.5" D (39.37cm)

WEIGHT: 98 lbs

FINISHES: Walnut Lacquer, Cherry Lacquer, Black Lacquer

Built From: 2006

Welcome Norton, ………London right? I thought you might have lived in Cornwall on the west coast. I myself lived a few years north of London but my favorite place (village) was Portmeirion in Wales. Everybody should Google Earth it - fantastic place.   I also agree that your Cornwall 3's are great speakers, although I went with the modified version Cornscala's.  You will find Imho that your speakers really sing with a low powered tube amp, like 3 to 25 watts. My Cornscala's sound incredible when I also listen to Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo CD collections. Also if you're into movie soundtracks Bernard Herrmann's pieces puts a wow onto everyones lips as I give them a listen.

Thanks.  I've bought the MLP CD box sets (a third set is out soon I think?) and about 25 individual RCA Living Stereo SACDs at great prices from Amazon UK, but most of the MLP SACDs  have crazy high asking prices on Amazon.  Anyone know if they are out of production in the States?  Seems surprising if they are as I cant think of a better application for SACD.

UKNorton - Welcome to the Forum.  What model B&W were you using?  The 802 D's do look nice but I have never heard them and wondered how they compared to heritage stuff.  The price tag keeps me away, even on the used market, at this point.

I have always been a big fan of Cornwalls.  I have 1's and 2's, but haven't worked up to the 3's yet.

I just purchased a pair of B&W 802 Diamonds because the better half liked the looks of them. As soon as they get here, they get to go against my K-horns, Belles, and La Scala. 

Rivervalleymgb - I'll be curious to hear the result of the A/B testing when you do get the 802D's.  Keep us all posted!

Just wanted to say hello as a new member.

I live in the UK and have recently joined the Klipsch user community for the first time  after  replacing my B&W speakers with Cornwall IIIs.

I notice that forum members don't seem to rate them quite as highly as other Heritage models, which worries me slightly, but to be honest I'm absolutely delighted by them.  Maybe I'm just making up for 12 bass-starved years...but they seem to be a very good match  with my low power DNM s/s amps.      

I also suspect that Cornscalas might feature in my system one day - although with zero DIY skills I imagine the individual shipping costs of a pre-built pair to the UK might be prohibitive..

Welcome UKNorton & congrats on your new CW III

Cheers,

Jimmy

UKNorton - Welcome to the Forum.  What model B&W were you using?  The 802 D's do look nice but I have never heard them and wondered how they compared to heritage stuff.  The price tag keeps me away, even on the used market, at this point.

I have always been a big fan of Cornwalls.  I have 1's and 2's, but haven't worked up to the 3's yet.

I just purchased a pair of B&W 802 Diamonds because the better half liked the looks of them. As soon as they get here, they get to go against my K-horns, Belles, and La Scala.

Rivervalleymgb - I'll be curious to hear the result of the A/B testing when you do get the 802D's.  Keep us all posted!

I was using B&W 805 Signatures (similar to the current 805 D). Very sweet & dynamic stand mounts, the CWs are obviously dramatically better on LF stuff but on reflection I think the B&Ws are a bit more transparent at the top end?. I imagine the 802s would be a huge upgrade on my B&Ws.