Front Height(FH) speaker placement

javelin

Hello all.

I want to add FH to my HT so started looking for surround speakers.

I was scrolling through a list and about to go to sleep when a new post just listed.  Just 4 minutes into being listed, I buy-it-now a set of three(3) R-3650-W inwall speakers for $195(includes shipping)  - I thought it was a great deal I could not pass on.

I tested these speakers and they sound really nice ... : )

So here's my situation where I need some advice or suggestion.

According to Dobly speaker setup, the front height(FH) speakers are to be installed 3'+ above the main speakers.

Since the R-3650 are in-wall, they would have to be installed on the wall above the mains(Scalas) which is also about 2'+ away. Problem with this is the R-3650 won't be exacly above the mains, they'll be about 2'+ away(wall), but above the mains, and not sure if that will affect the speakers performance. And then, there's that overhang where the rc-64 sits which may potentially block the R-3650 - seen as yellow block in the pic.

An option would be to install the R-3650 into the overhang, seen in white blocks. That would "violate" Dolby's speaker FH setup recommendation and not sure if the receiver will be able to adjust or compensate for their location.

Another option is to create enclosure for the R-3650 so that I can hang them on the ceiling exactly above the the mains.

Or, I can sell them and get me an RS-3 or RS-4 and ceiling mounts instead. :)

Thoughts, suggestions?

post-26004-0-98320000-1423765866_thumb.p

Edited by javelin
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input.

I think I'm going to place them above the mains, the yellow blocks. They're going to be installed vertically in the wall.  The r-3650 has a nice feature that it allows you to adjust the horn's angle - I can adjust it to point towards the seating area. It never ends... : )

• Like 1

Finished installing the two Front Heights(FH) and not only are they perfect in that location, they sound great! Played couple of movies and I can surely tell the FH makes a difference; the front sounds are more full and I feel more enveloped with sound now than before - sound effect movement between the FH and surrounds are more linear - I can't tell any delay when sound travels between FH and surrounds.

I'm leaving the covers off, they're just too nice to be covered; I think it's something to do with the color of copper... : ) 

post-26004-0-82080000-1424065650_thumb.j

post-26004-0-92960000-1424065660_thumb.j

• Like 1