Best Cornwall Mod Yet!

craigtone

I have a pair of Decorator Cornwall II's and I have the Crites crossover upgrade, tweeter diaphragm and midrange diaphragms.  I have them at a 45 in the room corners per PWK's recommendation and the room is 11'x14' and I listen on the short wall.  Some LP's are too bass heavy and can get boomy with my hardwood floors (Prairie Wind, Icky Thump, etc.).

I was looking to get some risers and stumbled across the Auralex Gramma pro audio risers.  I got them yesterday and WOW!  What an improvement!  The bass is much more controlled and bass imaging has improved tremendously!  The midrange seemed to clear up a bit also but that may be because the horns are more aligned with my ears now.

Regardless, if you have a set of Cornwalls sitting on a hard floor, give these some consideration!

post-24392-0-96840000-1423771033_thumb.j

post-24392-0-45800000-1423771040_thumb.j

• Like 1

I had my KG 5.5's on the carpet on some old floors and it sounded a bit muddy. I simply  went to Lowes and got some stone pavers and cut out an old yoga mat to put between the pavers and speaker. It actually looks really cool, kind of an audio stone hedge look to it and the imaging and punch is much better now.

• Like 1

too expensive for me -I have tons of foam and rubber - there is nothing that complicated about it - at 90$ a pop , I will do my own -

$1000 speakers and you won't pay $70/each shipped (@ Sweetwater)?  :blink2:

there is absolutely nothing to these mats -they are made from recycled foam and  rubber - that's it - I get these in palleted shipments all the time  - we have these  5 inches thick -  what I do for my scalas and cornwalls is cut off 2 inches  on a router - and just sit the speakers right in the cutaway with 4 spikes at the corners -

they work great with amps & turntables - I add grounding wires screwed to the rubber portion -

too expensive for me -I have tons of foam and rubber - there is nothing that complicated about it - at 90$ a pop , I will do my own -

there is absolutely nothing to these mats -they are made from recycled foam and  rubber - that's it - I get these in palleted shipments all the time  - we have these  5 inches thick -  what I do for my scalas and cornwalls is cut off 2 inches  on a router - and just sit the speakers right in the cutaway with 4 spikes at the corners -

they work great with amps & turntables - I add grounding wires screwed to the rubber portion -

Hook a brother up Randyh lol lol

Edited by MORE KLIPSCH PLEASE

your local computer shop or anyone who has Servers shipped to them has this foam in the recycling containers

this  insulation makes the bass -midrange sound very good  in  heresies mostly and some Cornwalls - I have even seen some foam inside the dog house in scalas -

Klpsch didnt use the insulation as it was costly -

• Like 1

your local computer shop or anyone who has Servers shipped to them has this foam in the recycling containers

this  insulation makes the bass -midrange sound very good  in  heresies mostly and some Cornwalls - I have even seen some foam inside the dog house in scalas -

Klpsch didnt use the insulation as it was costly -

wait, what? klipsch didn't insulate speakers because it was too costly? 'm no aficionado but that just doesn't sound right to me...

Gotta wonder what the impact of these risers might be compared to the ones Klipsch includes with more recent CW's?

The factory risers are just a wood frame.  There are different schools of thought about the unsupported center, hollow cavity resonances, etc.  The pads I used are basically a carpeted piece of plywood with high-density foam sandwiched to it so the entire bottom of the speaker is supported and "filled".  I also checked into the factory risers and the height is about the same.