1976 La Scala Speakers (Birch)

Terri

You should definitely consider passing them on as an heirloom or keep them in your family. Those are very valuable! 

I would second this notion. These aren't speakers that are going to being outdated with technology. Their sound is simply timeless and this style of speaker is actually coming back into fashion if you care about that sort of thing. Only a few companies out there like Klipsch still make them like this and you happen to have something that even we don't make anymore.

You (or your family) may buy speakers from another company down the road that cost $1000 (which may be all you can get for these) and I GUARANTEE these speakers will outperform them 10x over.

Of course, I should never tell you what to do with your assets because we have all needed money from time to time. I just wanted to offer up some food for thought.

Thank! But it really is not about the money, although it is nice. We are moving my mother to a smaller home and none of us has the room to utilize them. They were in a 1000 sq ft music room and were perfect and enjoyed them for many years and want someone else to do the same.

To someone that appreciates the condition and style of finish they are worth $1200 and up IMO.  I really wish you were closer to me and I'm sure many here wish the same.  Those are pretty unique among the masses of LaScala's out there and the condition for their age is a big, big bargaining chip on your side.  If you cant keep these, please don't let some shark beat you up on the price.

Thanks for your input.  I'm sure there are a few lurking in the ocean!

Hi Terri, sorry to hear about your dad. I am a neighbor of yours in Howell. Let  me know what you want for these speakers and I may be able to get them sold for you.

now that is a nice man - thanks on behalf of all of us - take care -

We have a pair of La Scala speakers that have been my father's since 1976.  He passed away last year and we do not have any idea of their re-sale value.  The speakers look as if they just came off the factory floor.  Dad always loved these speakers, but unfortunately, no one in the family has the room.  They need to go to a special loving home.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks - Terri

I keep on looking at these and man are they nice - anyone out there grab these - fast

Terri,

We all, in this community of the Klipsch forums, are sorry to hear of the passing of your dad. We've lost a few members here along the way, and it's always a sad time for us. For you to come here now, and tell us of your father's passing, makes me wish he were a member here.

Those are a beautiful pair of La Scalas, and the price you get will end up being what people are willing to pay for them. They are unique in that there haven't been many we have seem with the full grills. Most, if you have looked around, are like the ones below, that used to reside in my living room. They had a grill which only covered the top section, I truly loved mine.They are from 1989, and came from the factory with a walnut lacquer finish. I think I paid around $1200 when I got them in 2006-7. I have a second pair that I am restoring, so I will soon have La Scalas playing once agin in my living room.

Teaman, welcome to the forums as well. If you can help Terri out, by all means do.

Bruce

EDIT: the other speakers in the pic are Heresy IIs, another very fine Klipsch product. They are now used for audio on our TV system.

post-5045-0-70200000-1423873048_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

Evening Terri, 

Very sorry for the loss of your father.

Those Scala's are absolutely beautiful.  The La Scala is my favorite speaker EVER MADE, by anyone or any company.  I am nearly at a loss of words upon examining the photos you have posted.  If you were in my area, those babies would bring a healthy stack of bills, by me.  I would not even have to think twice about shelling out $2500 for these. 

I am thankful you are not close.  Otherwise, I would be scrambling, getting my ducks in a row and knocking on your door in no time.

Good luck with your sale.

Matt

Terri,

We all, in this community of the Klipsch forums, are sorry to hear of the passing of your dad. We've lost a few members here along the way, and it's always a sad time for us. For you to come here now, and tell us of your father's passing, makes me wish he were a member here.

Those are a beautiful pair of La Scalas, and the price you get will end up being what people are willing to pay for them. They are unique in that there haven't been many we have seem with the full grills. Most, if you have looked around, are like the ones below, that used to reside in my living room. They had a grill which only covered the top section, I truly loved mine.They are from 1989, and came from the factory with a walnut lacquer finish. I think I paid around $1200 when I got them in 2006-7. I have a second pair that I am restoring, so I will soon have La Scalas playing once agin in my living room.

Teaman, welcome to the forums as well. If you can help Terri out, by all means do.

Bruce

EDIT: the other speakers in the pic are Heresy IIs, another very fine Klipsch product. They are now used for audio on our TV system.

Bruce, Thank you for your very kind words.  Had my father known there was a Klipsch forum, he would have been a member for sure. 

Terri,

Sorry to hear about the passing of your father. I too am the owner a pair of these full front grill La Scalas. I am originally from southeast Michigan which is where I purchased them back around the same time that it looks like your father got his.. Do you know where he purchased them? I am just curious, was it the HiFi Workshop in Royal Oak? Are they still completely unfinished, no oil or anything on the birch?

Your Dad had great tastes in speakers. Someone is going to be the proud owner of some real gems. Good luck with your sale.

Schu,

The grills are not easily removable i.e. removing them will destroy them. Of course if you want to alter their apperance go for it.

He had a Kenwood, I believe. He never let us play the music loud because he was afraid we would blow the speakers. They still sit where they did almost 40 years ago.

Terri,

Wow, what a shame. These speakers were made to move air and they do it well. Perhaps someone in your family should hear them at concert level before letting them go. Dust off them woofers!

I have interest here if you have figured out what you want for them... please let me know... better pictures would also be nice. Are the grills removable?

i don't think you can call them grills, just full grill cloth. i think they just have cloth stretched across the front of the cab with screen moulding nailed on and not removable unless you pry off the moulding

I have interest here if you have figured out what you want for them... please let me know... better pictures would also be nice. Are the grills removable?

go for it - you will never see another pair like these - they look as if they came out of the box-

go for it - you will never see another pair like these - they look as if they came out of the box-

Are you all seeing the same (original) photos that I am?  I don't understand all of the comments extolling their fabulous beauty, fantastic condition, worth a boatload of money????  Kind of  putting the cart before the horse don't you think?  I mean, it's really nice of Terri to come to the forum and ask about them, but lets's be realistic...I haven't seen a single photo yet that is indicative of a "rare" pair of birch La Scalas....I'm hoping to change my mind.....