FOUND+++ EV DH1506 CD +++++FOUND++++

wvu80

I am going to upgrade the CF-4's.  I've already A/B'd the 1506 and stock, and to be honest both sound really, really good.  The 1506 screws right on, and will take a little engineering to take the weight off the horn throat, but really not too much work, just some 1x3 hardwood framing. 

Here is the 10 pound DH1506 next to the stock K-63-KN from the CF-4. (the horn lens is damped with 10oz of silicon seal)

post-58280-0-52440000-1423868479_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I have one EV DH1506 but I need another. 

I paid $50 plus $15 shipping for the one I bought about a month ago.  The EV DH1506 fits neatly into a USPS flat rate Priority Mail box.

attachicon.gifIMG_4286.JPG

how is the sound on these drivers vs the original driver k63 - can you enlighten as to the improvements -

how is the sound on these drivers vs the original driver k63 - can you enlighten as to the improvements -

Since you asked, I've been doing some critical listening.  I made the decision to buy based on Moray James recommendation and Alex G's recommendation after he did some major upgrading to his CF-4's.  Alex is solidly behind the 1506 sound.  I don't normally do critical listening with only one of each speaker working, but here goes.

If I did a blind test, I think I could tell the difference, but really both drivers sound pretty darn good.  I listened to some acoustic guitar, and the 1506 sounds tremendous.  It's like the difference between hearing a sound, and feeling a sound.  The 1506 has more drive, a fatter more resonant sound.  The human voice, in particular dialog sounds eerily real, not like a recording of a person, but like the  person is in the room.

The K-63-KN crosses over at 1600hz (was it 1400, Moray?) and the 1506 is essentially flat from 500 to 20,000, with a recommended XO of 800hz.  I think the 1506 would sound even better if I modded the XO's and pushed the volume more.  In the moderate volume at which I listen, they sound very similar.

post-58280-0-51520000-1424140097_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

Since you asked, I've been doing some critical listening.  I made the decision to buy based on Moray James recommendation and Alex L's recommendation after he did some major upgrading to his CF-4's.  Alex is solidly behind the 1506 sound.  I don't normally do critical listening with only one of each speaker working, but here goes.

If I did a blind test, I think I could tell the difference, but really both drivers sound pretty darn good.  I listened to some acoustic guitar, and the 1506 sounds tremendous.  It's like the difference between hearing a sound, and feeling a sound.  The 1506 has more drive, a fatter more resonant sound.  The human voice, in particular dialog sounds eerily real, not like a recording of a person, but like the  person is in the room.

The K-63-KN crosses over at 1600hz (was it 1400, Moray?) and the 1506 is essentially flat from 500 to 20,000, with a recommended XO of 800hz.  I think the 1506 would sound even better if I modded the XO's and pushed the volume more.  In the moderate volume at which I listen, they sound very similar.

attachicon.gifIMG_4290.JPG

this monster driver must really perform with very loud sound - thanks for sharing the info - by the way , this must be very heavy duty and should hold up more than the k63 - did you know the diaphragms cost over 100$ - wow