k-55v Usable Frequency Range?

jjptkd

Anyone here know the usable frequency range of a k-55v mid driver? I'm thinking about using a set in my KP-250 II's in place of the stock k-65's. Anybody ever done this? Compared these two drivers? I'm likely to try it out any way to hear for myself, just curious what others have to say, thanks.

probably about as wide as it gets especially in terms of going low they can be used on very large horns as low as 100Hz. Klipsch typically cross them over 4500Hz. range Check with Atlas who are the makers of this driver they will provide you with all the data you need. There is a large thread over at diy audio dot com on the K55 being used to play low. It really is an amazing driver. Hope this helps best regards Moray James.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/239472-new-ideas-k-55-pd-5v-compression-drivers.html

http://www.atlassound.com/v/SupportFiles/772/ATS004136%20PD%20Series%20Datasheet%20RevA.pdf

you can see how the mass of the Phenolic diaphragm eats up potential top end response. Newer K52 style drivers such as used in the H3 and CW3 and others can be fitted with Titanium diaphragms which can be crosses higher because they are so much physically lighter. I have switched from Phenolic mid diaphragms in Quartet Forte Forte ll and KLF and have been very pleased with the results.

Edited by moray james

Nice to see the K55 getting the props it deserves 8-)

the only drawback is the cost of the replacement diaphragms -used K55v go cheaper than buying a diaphragm -the nice setups are when you use 2 k55v in one assembly -

The 250 II's come stock with 2" titanium drivers on the mid horns, just curious if the 55v's would sound better with these being used as home speakers. I've got the cabinets stripped and re-painted, going to add a final coat tomorrow and plan on reassembling them on Monday. I'm planning on installing a 55v in one and the stock 65 in the other and to see if there's a noticeable difference.

I know the 55v will play low enough, was really more concerned whether it would play high enough. Crossover points are 700 & 6khz

Thanks for the replies!

Edited by jjptkd

The 250 II's come stock with 2" titanium drivers on the mid horns, just curious if the 55v's would sound better with these being used as home speakers. I've got the cabinets stripped and re-painted, going to add a final coat tomorrow and plan on reassembling them on Monday. I'm planning on installing a 55v in one and the stock 65 in the other and to see if there's a noticeable difference.

I know the 55v will play low enough, was really more concerned whether it would play high enough. Crossover points are 700 & 6khz

Thanks for the replies!

you would need to have a K77m as a tweeter the K55V and the HIP crossover that came with the original first series with the EVM 12L or the K42E -

"you would need to have a K77m as a tweeter the K55V and the HIP crossover that came with the original first series with the EVM 12L or the K42E -"

If you dropped the mid down one tap on an original HIP network it should be fine (change the cap or add a swamping resistor).

"you would need to have a K77m as a tweeter the K55V and the HIP crossover that came with the original first series with the EVM 12L or the K42E -"

If you dropped the mid down one tap on an original HIP network it should be fine (change the cap or add a swamping resistor).

ok -

the new PD5Vh and K55X is superior than the k55v push pin by the way -

The new PD5 IS the K-55-X, they are the same driver. Though the current driver has soldered terminals, it has a single phase plug and is identical to the original driver with the spring loaded terminals. Many are now assuming that since the new driver has the soldered lugs, that it is the same design as the driver that saw very limited use in the early 80s - it is not. The dual phase plug version of the K-55-V was quickly replaced by the EV K-55-M, which is basically the same driver from a performance perspective. I don't know how long Klipsch used the dual phase plug Atlas PD5-VH/K-55-V, but it wasn't long - maybe even only a year.

The K-400 (as well as the 600 & 700) collapse the verticals and provide enough "squeeze" to get the response up to 5.8kHz. There is a sharp drop in response that begins a little after 4kHz, before quickly recovering and then rapidly climbing back up to nearly 6kHz. When Klipsch released the dual phase plug version, PK didn't think the improvement in performance would be noticed by most. I can hear it, but it's subtle. People saying that better performance can be had by dropping the crossover point are over simplifying things a bit, and are forgetting that though PK had numerous opportunities to do this, he didn't.

There is also a vast difference between a first order midrange filter that uses an autoformer and what Klipsch is currently doing -- a lower crossover point using steep filters with NO autoformer for the purpose of getting better phase behavior and producing better polar response. Changing a capacitor value and adding a coil doesn't do either of those things, in fact, the phase response gets worse, and the sonic signature is now dominated by the tweeter instead of the midrange, at least, that's what I hear.

Edited by DeanG

the new PD5Vh and K55X is superior than the k55v push pin by the way -

The new PD5 IS the K-55-X, they are the same driver. Though the current driver has soldered terminals, it has a single phase plug and is identical to the original driver with the spring loaded terminals. Many are now assuming that since the new driver has the soldered lugs, that it is the same design as the driver that saw very limited use in the early 80s - it is not. The dual phase plug version of the K-55-V was quickly replaced by the EV K-55-M, which is basically the same driver from a performance perspective. I don't know how long Klipsch used the dual phase plug Atlas PD5-VH/K-55-V, but it wasn't long - maybe even only a year.

The K-400 (as well as the 600 & 700) collapse the verticals and provide enough "squeeze" to get the response up to 5.8kHz. There is a sharp drop in response that begins a little after 4kHz, before quickly recovering and then rapidly climbing back up to nearly 6kHz. When Klipsch released the dual phase plug version, PK didn't think the improvement in performance would be noticed by most. I can hear it, but it's subtle. People saying that better performance can be had by dropping the crossover point are over simplifying things a bit, and are forgetting that though PK had numerous opportunities to do this, he didn't.

There is also a vast difference between a first order midrange filter that uses an autoformer and what Klipsch is currently doing -- a lower crossover point using steep filters with NO autoformer for the purpose of getting better phase behavior and producing better polar response. Changing a capacitor value and adding a coil doesn't do either of those things, in fact, the phase response gets worse, and the sonic signature is now dominated by the tweeter instead of the midrange, at least, that's what I hear.

I stand corrected  as that was my assumption that the soldered pins terminals were the dual phase plug - out of 10 k55V  I own -the best  K55V is from the  sixties , the  serial  number is under 3000 - push pin -

Thanks for the replies!

They come with a two in diaphragm made of titanium the exit is the same as a K55. as far as I know these mid drivers are made by Eminence and I would not bet that they sound better than a K55 but I have not made the comparison so that is just my guess. They are made for loud. The mid driver used in a H3 and a CW3 both use ti diaphragms and both have no problem with the range you are after. I use this same diaphragm in my late Heresy in the Quartet I had the Forte Forte ll KLF20. Best regards Moray James.

So it sounds like the k55v might have trouble making it all the way up to 6khz which is what I was worried about. I may still give it a try and report back my impressions. I do like the stock titanium drivers, just have the 55's laying around and noticed they fit on the Tractrix mid horn of the 250 II, thanks.

So it sounds like the k55v might have trouble making it all the way up to 6khz which is what I was worried about. I may still give it a try and report back my impressions. I do like the stock titanium drivers, just have the 55's laying around and noticed they fit on the Tractrix mid horn of the 250 II, thanks.

there was a dual k55v in one of the MCM 1900 , I think , 2 k55v or k55M on a dual throat - really amazing sound -

You're welcome! Now what you should hopefully be noticing is that the single phase plug version with the spring loaded terminals has no trouble getting out to 6kHz. Yes, there is a small drop between 4.5 and 6, but it's hardly worth getting our panty hose twisted up about.

there was a dual k55v in one of the MCM 1900 , I think , 2 k55v or k55M on a dual throat - really amazing sound -

No, If the MCM-1900 stack is an early stack, either 3-way or 4-way, they came with a large single Gause driver, later models came with FOUR K-55 drivers mated to a K-260 horn with a 2 inch throat, not Two K-55 drivers as you mention, as well as the 2 inch throat K-400 horn on TSCMs, which also have FOUR K-55 Drivers and can be K-55m OR K-55V in either push pin or solder terminal.

Roger

Dennis says to give it a go I would he knows more than most have ever known. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james