k-55v Usable Frequency Range?

jjptkd

I own -the best K55V is from the sixties , the serial number is under 3000 - push pin -

Curious about how that works -- what about that particular driver makes it "the best"?

I own -the best K55V is from the sixties , the serial number is under 3000 - push pin -

Curious about how that works -- what about that particular driver makes it "the best"?

I will clarify - it is a brand new unused 1960's K55V - that 's it - by best - I meant unused

So it sounds like the k55v might have trouble making it all the way up to 6khz which is what I was worried about. I may still give it a try and report back my impressions. I do like the stock titanium drivers, just have the 55's laying around and noticed they fit on the Tractrix mid horn of the 250 II, thanks.

there was a dual k55v in one of the MCM 1900 , I think , 2 k55v or k55M on a dual throat - really amazing sound -

No, If the MCM-1900 stack is an early stack, either 3-way or 4-way, they came with a large single Gause driver, later models came with FOUR K-55 drivers mated to a K-260 horn with a 2 inch throat, not Two K-55 drivers as you mention, as well as the 2 inch throat K-400 horn on TSCMs, which also have FOUR K-55 Drivers and can be K-55m OR K-55V in either push pin or solder terminal.

Roger

thanks Roger - which was the klipsch pro speaker or HF sections that had 2 K55V on a single horn -

So it sounds like the k55v might have trouble making it all the way up to 6khz which is what I was worried about. I may still give it a try and report back my impressions. I do like the stock titanium drivers, just have the 55's laying around and noticed they fit on the Tractrix mid horn of the 250 II, thanks.

there was a dual k55v in one of the MCM 1900 , I think , 2 k55v or k55M on a dual throat - really amazing sound -

Roger

No, If the MCM-1900 stack is an early stack, either 3-way or 4-way, they came with a large single Gause driver, later models came with FOUR K-55 drivers mated to a K-260 horn with a 2 inch throat, not Two K-55 drivers as you mention, as well as the 2 inch throat K-400 horn on TSCMs, which also have FOUR K-55 Drivers and can be K-55m OR K-55V in either push pin or solder terminal.

Roger

thanks Roger - which was the klipsch pro speaker or HF sections that had 2 K55V on a single horn -

No such animal exists in the Klipsch lineup... The KP-600 stacks have Two KP-60s mounted to a single horn on the earlier versions such as mine, that is the only Klipsch product I am aware of that has two drivers on one horn, except for the dual K-77 tweeters on one horn that were found in the TSCM top hat, the optional MMTM tweeter array for the MCM-1900 stacks, and in the KP-600 stacks... :)

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Actually Klipsch had several manifolds for K55 back in the day so you could attach 2 or 4 K55's.

Seti,

For WHAT speakers?? I am sure things were experimented with, but where are these said manifolds in production???

I have to call BS here, never heard of or seen one, so I want some proof of production...

Roger

Lighten up Roger, Iain's good people.

No I'm not :blink:  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

When Klipsch first went pro cinema they used some heritage line speakers with upgraded drivers for greater power handling and manifolds that used multiple K55 or K77 drivers. Here are some interesting critters I found last time we were at Klipsch. I think I took this pic right after copying the bass mechanic cds from you.

http://www.itishifi.com/2014/08/klipsch-driver-manifolds-pro-cinema.html

I love this one.

post-10755-1381945500592.jpg

This one is cool as well.

MSMMSSMdoors_resize.jpg

Edited by seti

When Klipsch first went pro cinema they used some heritage line speakers with upgraded drivers for greater power handling and manifolds that used multiple K55 or K77 drivers. Here are some interesting critters I found last time we were at Klipsch. I think I took this pic right after copying the bass mechanic cds from you.

I love this one.

MSMMSSMdoors_resize.jpg

Yes, those are both the same K-4M manifold that hold 4 K-55 manifolds into one 2 inch throat that I spoke of. The one on top could be from an MMWM unit, or it could ba from a TSCM unit. I have owned both. The one on the bottom is attached to a K-260 Horn in a MMWM unit for the MCM-1900 stack of a 4-way MCM-1900 unit.

So where is a picture of a two K-55 driver manifold and / or proof of it's existence and production???

I am still calling BS on you....

Roger

I love this one.

MSMMSSMdoors_resize.jpg

Yes, those are both the 4 K-55 manifolds into one 2 inch throat that I spoke of. The one on top could be from an MMWM unit, or it could ba from a TSCM unit. I have owned both. The one on the bottom is attached to a K-260 Horn in a MMWM unit for the MCM-1900 stack of a 4-way MCM-1900 unit.

So where is a picture of a two K-55 driver manifold and / or proof of it's existence and production???

Roger

That isn't exactly what you called BS on nor were you very specific. I did see a two K55 manifold at Klipsch perhaps it was a prototype. At this point you can only call half a bs. Geeeze...

Just to keep some levity on this forum how about dual k55's on a Western Electric horn.

vh5.jpg

• Like 1

I love this one.

MSMMSSMdoors_resize.jpg

Yes, those are both the 4 K-55 manifolds into one 2 inch throat that I spoke of. The one on top could be from an MMWM unit, or it could ba from a TSCM unit. I have owned both. The one on the bottom is attached to a K-260 Horn in a MMWM unit for the MCM-1900 stack of a 4-way MCM-1900 unit.

Roger

That isn't exactly what you called BS on nor were you very specific. I did see a two K55 manifold at Klipsch perhaps it was a prototype. At this point you can only call half a bs. Geeeze...

Just to keep some levity on this forum how about dual k55's on a Western Electric horn.

vh5.jpg

Seti,

Go back and reread the thread. I spoke of this exact same manifold! I was calling BS from the beginning of Klipsch ever having commercially made available a Two K-55 into one throat manifold. I do not doubt that they may have fiddled with the idea, but I absolutely do not believe that one ever made it into production! Look up the thread, "Feeding the TSCM fever and you will see photos of that exact same K-4M manifold used in the TSCM as well.

Roger

The K-400 (as well as the 600 & 700) collapse the verticals and provide enough "squeeze" to get the response up to 5.8kHz. There is a sharp drop in response that begins a little after 4kHz, before quickly recovering and then rapidly climbing back up to nearly 6kHz. When Klipsch released the dual phase plug version, PK didn't think the improvement in performance would be noticed by most. I can hear it, but it's subtle. People saying that better performance can be had by dropping the crossover point are over simplifying things a bit, and are forgetting that though PK had numerous opportunities to do this, he didn't.

I have K55-m's on a pair of La Scalas.  What happens if you replace the K400 horn with a tracthorn or other horn that does not "squeeze"?  Will the cutoff be closer to 4500 hz? 

It’s like déjà vu all over again! (apologies to Yogi Berra). I was going thru some old measurements recently and came across the three horn comparison I did lo these many years ago. I posted the color version to make it easier to distinguish each response. BTW, all horns were normalized @ 1 kHz (the vertical line above the “g” in Log). 

Lee