Newbie looking for advice on budget home theater

miketyler

Hello all

I am remodeling our garage loft and am converting it to a media room. While I love the clean aesthetics of in-wall speakers I have opted to spare that expense and go with conventional external speakers that might offer more presence and mobility. I am a little new to Klipsch products but am a big fan of middle to high end audio. I have been lurking here a while and on AVS forums for several years and have a few questions I would like to field to you regarding budget choices for front, center, and rears. The application would mostly be for weekend movie nights.    

So far, the plan is this:

17'L x 21'W x 8' vaulted ceiling

Walls are finished with typical insulation

Denon AVR4800 or AVR5800 125 and 175 watts repectively

Klipsch front, center and rear speakers models TBD

Carver/Sunfire True Subwoofer

Sharp Aquos 70" LED/LCD

Dalite Senor Electro high gain screen

Optoma HD 21 projector

I would like to stay under $1500 and am not opposed to preowned equipment. I read an earlier recommendation for a combo of a pair of RF-62 II's, an RC-62 II center, and a pair of RS-42 II's or RS-52 II's for the rear. What would this setup cost me if I shopped hard on the used market?

I have also read raving comments on the RB-75 bookshelf units? Towers are great but was wondering if the same sound quality can be acheived with bookshelf speakers half the height on stands?  

Appreciate any advice and direction you can offer.

• Like 2

Welcome Mike, great first post!

You already have a well thought out plan and a budget, so I think there are some here who can help you refine what models will give you the best bang for the buck.

My question is about the $1500 budget.  Is the $1500 for 5.0 speakers only, or does that include the AVR and other components you listed?

• Like 2

Thanks guys. This loft is over our detached garage and will mainly be for movies. The other half of the loft will be an exercise area and the audio setup would provide music while working out. Both uses considered, maybe 50/50 but I really want the best cinema experience I can afford and am willing to sacrifice that over music quality. I have most of the equipment listed already and the $1500 budget is for speakers only but if you guys have some tricks where I can squeeze in an Epson 8350 in there let me know!  :)   

Edited by miketyler
  • Like 1

You got all kinds of options with what I would call a midsized viewing space, that is quite adequate, I would think. Is the ceiling suspended, tile type or solid sheetrock,other. Just thinking how you would run the wires for rears. You could buy new or close to depending upon the system and, looks like you have the sub already picked. Thinking 5 speakers then L C R  RL RR

Bookshelves on stands rear would work, and should sound nice, without being RB75's.

*Scrappydue and other's know where to buy so...

• Like 2

The ceiling is typical sheetrock construction with no attic access. I am already committed to punching holes to pull AC, component and HDMI for the projector. I figured I would run audio cabling along the floor and tuck it in between the baseboard and carpet.

On the subject of speaker types, as I have grown older I have mostly leaned towards the "less is more" mentality for the cleaner look. This project gives the me a chance to return to my roots, where big speakers were king and appreciated more for their function and less for the space they consumed. My brother had a pair of Altec-Lansing theater speakers. (I'll have to ask him about model numbers) The cabinets were as large as washing machines with a huge horn tweeter on top that you couild reach both arms in. He powered these with a Pilot 602 Stereophonic tubed amp. The house was pier and beam construction and you got a lot of vibration thru the wood floors in that room. Man I loved that!!!!

But I digress....

I do love the copper cones and floor standing towers are growing on me. The engineer in me wonders if can get the same or close to the same sound field from a large RB series then I can with the RF-62's or RF-52's?       

Where are you located? I would sell you my 4 month old, mint RF-62's and RC-62. I have the boxes but I really don't want to ship, they are too perfect to let a shipping company beat on them.

$800 to a local Seattle forum member.

Edited by K5SS

You could go with some used La Scalas... If you shop carefully you might be able to pick up 3 of them for the front 3 channels, and then get a pair of Heresy's used for a 5.0 setup. Or you could go for 5 Heresy's, and then get your sub.

<snip>

I do love the copper cones and floor standing towers are growing on me. The engineer in me wonders if can get the same or close to the same sound field from a large RB series then I can with the RF-62's or RF-52's?       

I just bought my first RB series, the RB35. They are impressive. The RB75 you mentioned come highly regarded. The FR63 are the best sounding 2 way speakers that sound like they're 3 way. For what you have and the amount you're ready to spend, you'll be able to buy a lot of sound.  

You could go with some used La Scalas... If you shop carefully you might be able to pick up 3 of them for the front 3 channels, and then get a pair of Heresy's used for a 5.0 setup. Or you could go for 5 Heresy's, and then get your sub.

Mike mentioned the $1500 budget was for 5.0 speakers, so $300 a speaker roughly.  I think that is a good sweet spot price per speaker.

Mike, I really like the sound of woofers in that dual 6.5" size, I have dual 7" in my MTM center speaker.   It's not that bigger=louder, but I like the quality of sound in that range, so anything from 6" to 7" would likely be ideal for you, if you could find the right deal on some used.

The RF-62 and RC-62 for $800 ($266 per speaker) from K5SS directly upstream would make an excellent front end.  I don't think you would not grow tired of that sound anytime soon.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Mike mentioned the $1500 budget was for 5.0 speakers, so $300 a speaker roughly.  I think that is a good sweet spot price per speaker.

Mike, I really like the sound of woofers in that dual 6.5" size, I have dual 7" in my MTM center speaker.   It's not that bigger=louder, but I like the quality of sound in that range, so anything from 6" to 7" would likely be ideal for you, if you could find the right deal on some used.

The RF-62 and RC-62 for $800 ($266 per speaker) from K5SS directly upstream would make an excellent front end.  I don't think you would not grow tired of that sound anytime soon.

Yes, and if he shops around I think he might be able to find some used LaScalas, and Heresy's to do a 5.0 for $1500... Another option would be all Heresy speakers which should come in under $1500.

• Like 1

Thanks, I am in Cedar Hill, TX and shipping would likely be expensive though maybe I should get it quoted on my FedEx acct to know for sure. There is a RF42 II 5.1 set here local and the owner is asking $900. I assumed those drivers in the towers to be the smallest of the model line thought admittedly I have researched it. The 5.1 setup he has consists of a pair of RC-42 II's, pair of RB-41 II's, an RC-42 II, and the updated SW311 sub.  

• Like 1

Thanks, I am in Cedar Hill, TX and shipping would likely be expensive though maybe I should get it quoted on my FedEx acct to know for sure. There is a RF42 II 5.1 set here local and the owner is asking $900. I assumed those drivers in the towers to be the smallest of the model line thought admittedly I have researched it. The 5.1 setup he has consists of a pair of RC-42 II's, pair of RB-41 II's, an RC-42 II, and the updated SW311 sub.  

One thing to look at when shipping... If the seller takes them to the shipper and you pick them up from the shipper it can make a substantial difference in shipping qoutes. I had 2 DTS-10 subs shipped from Arizona to Northern California for $200 (pair). To have them delivered to my house was another $250 for a 20 minute drive to our house. The subs weighed $300 each.

Should be able to do it for $1500.00 easy ...bought a RF 35 5 channel system ....towers/ center/ surrounds/ and sub for $600.00 last year... Just picked up a pair of RB 35's (never opened) last week for a couple of hundred ish...but be careful it is habit forming

Edited by oldred
  • Like 1

Thats the kind of thing I am looking for. I was prepared to spend up to $1500 but I am still busy remodeling the space so I have time. Here is the RF-42 II setup I was talking about  with the smaller towers. This one is not really a potential for me but is indicative of some of the market deals out there

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/4864779935.html

• Like 1

Thats the kind of thing I am looking for. I was prepared to spend up to $1500 but I am still busy remodeling the space so I have time. Here is the RF-42 II setup I was talking about  with the smaller towers. This one is not really a potential for me but is indicative of some of the market deals out there

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/4864779935.html

Put the cash aside and keep looking... When you see the deal on what you want go for it. I have watched on CL and seen prices that were decent and thought that was the market price... Next thing i see I find it for less than half what the others are going for. Be patient and you will score... Just ask Youthman. :)

If you can DIY these would make a killer setup

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites-cs-1-speaker-project.html

5 CS-1s and a decent sub would fit your budget. Thinking about making this my summer project myself.

Also has a center channel design

http://www.critesspeakers.com/csc-1-center-channel-speake.html

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1