Newbie looking for advice on budget home theater

miketyler

rf-42ii theater is a great little theater for price and size. But me personally, wouldn't want that as my one and only theater unless budget and space were big problems. But I'm also not your average listener. I've had many friends over that love my living room theater and say they would love to own something that good. So it's all relative to what you know

• Like 1

• Moderators
Be patient and you will score... Just ask Youthman. :)

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about?  I've only owned a few Klipsch speakers.  :P

speaker-list-02-14-15.jpg

As mentioned, take your time, be patient, do your research to discover what you are looking for and the right deal will come along.

• Like 2

If you can DIY these would make a killer setup

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites-cs-1-speaker-project.html

5 CS-1s and a decent sub would fit your budget. Thinking about making this my summer project myself.

Also has a center channel design

http://www.critesspeakers.com/csc-1-center-channel-speake.html

Or you could...

DIY 3 1/4 pies, and match them up with some horns for under $1k... How much under will depend on what kind of deal you can find. :)

• Like 1

If you can DIY these would make a killer setup

http://www.critesspeakers.com/crites-cs-1-speaker-project.html

5 CS-1s and a decent sub would fit your budget. Thinking about making this my summer project myself.

Also has a center channel design

http://www.critesspeakers.com/csc-1-center-channel-speake.html

Or you could...

DIY 3 1/4 pies, and match them up with some horns for under $1k... How much under will depend on what kind of deal you can find. :)

That would of course set you up for life.

I would have suggested that myself but I didn't want to scare off the new guy.

I actually am a DIY fanatic and enjoy woodworking. The Crites boxes look like a fun project but truly, I am juggling a few projects right now and to take something like that on would delay the media room completion. From our dialogue I do have some target models identified now (thanks!) and I can narrow the scope and be more specific in my searches. I do enjoy the hunt but only up to a point where time is lost due to indecision. I still need to track down a short equipment rack and some surge protection.

One model we didn't really discuss was the THX branded models like the KL-650-THX Ultra2 or the KS-525-THX surrounds. I respect the labeling and associate the THX brand with higher end equipment though admittedly, less so over the years. Any thoughts on the THX certified Klipsch boxes?

2666e339-8d64-464f-bf4c-e22747a335e6-000      

• Like 1

Mike welcome to the forum.  You have lots of good advice here, good to see you willing to buy used.  That will save you a bunch, and get a good bang for the buck.  All so keep your eye out for RF-7s or RF-5s those are wonderful older Reference that can be had at a great price.  Good luck on your search. 

• Like 1

Be patient and you will score... Just ask Youthman. :)

I'm not sure I know what you are talking about?  I've only owned a few Klipsch speakers.  :P

speaker-list-02-14-15.jpg

As mentioned, take your time, be patient, do your research to discover what you are looking for and the right deal will come along.

Now I feel better.......and my wife says I got problems......ahhhh don't think so.....lo lol

• Like 1

Colter used tell everyone if our wife complained about the amount of speakers we have, to show her the pic of his massive Pro Audio Klipsch setup

I did that after returning from a trip to the House of Klipsch last fall. The photo I took of my LSI LaScala's next to Colter's pro stuff left my sweet wife speechless. Well, for just a moment mind you.

Mark

Willand* is getting good results with his RB75's you may have read. Think his is 2.1 setup.

Loving them more and more the more I listen to them.

I just bought my first RB series, the RB35. They are impressive.

Yes they are.  I have owned three pairs in my time.

The RB75 you mentioned come highly regarded.

Even better.

The FR63 are the best sounding 2 way speakers that sound like they're 3 way.

True too, IMO.

Thats the kind of thing I am looking for. I was prepared to spend up to $1500 but I am still busy remodeling the space so I have time. Here is the RF-42 II setup I was talking about  with the smaller towers. This one is not really a potential for me but is indicative of some of the market deals out there

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/4864779935.html

Put the cash aside and keep looking... When you see the deal on what you want go for it. I have watched on CL and seen prices that were decent and thought that was the market price... Next thing i see I find it for less than half what the others are going for. Be patient and you will score... Just ask Youthman. :)

Be patient grasshopper. ;)  :D

Bill

So budget aside, does the THX line eclipse the RF, RC and RS lines? Though not in abundance I do see them in the used market right around the price point of what I am shopping for. If I am really just paying for THX licensing, then I will stick with the reference products mentioned.     

• Moderators
So budget aside, does the THX line eclipse the RF, RC and RS lines?

Mike, check with MichaelandKlipsch.  He has owned THX for awhile now and absolutely loves them for HT.  Not so much for music though.  I have not heard the THX myself so I do not know how they compare to say the RF-7ii / RC-64ii.

I realize time is of the essence by reading your posts, but if I were you, I would go listen to different Klipsch models before deciding. You never know what you like until you hear them. For example, I am a fairly modern guy with a 5.1 system who listens to modern music from digital sources. However, I have Khorns as my mains and a Belle center. Those are heritage (really oldschool) speakers, but they are what I prefer. You may find you like something that impresses your ears more than what you see on the net. Just my $0.02 though. Hard to really go wrong with most offerings by Klipsch.

One thing to think about though is maybe forgo the sub for now. You said you like woodworking and such. Once you get caught up on your projects, one of the most popular projects out there is the DIY subwoofer. Plate amps also seem to be growing less popular in favor of class "D" pro amps like the Behringer nu3000 DSP which offers rediculous control through software via USB. For around $600-700, you could build a monster of a sub. Just rambling......

Bryant

• Like 1