Newbie looking for advice on budget home theater

miketyler

The remodel continues on the media room space. I had to blank out a window and have most of the in-wall cables run. Am just about ready to hang the 70" Sharp LED screen as soon as I get some circuit protection in place. Once the TV is up, then electric screen install will follow.

I did get chance to fire up the RF-62 IV's. As a first time Klipsch owner I am impressed and happy with the decision to purchase these. I used my garage amp (Sony STR-DE935) and was pleasanty surpised with how warm and full the sound was. Testing with some audio tracks from John Mayer's "Born and Raised" via my iPhone these have an impressive bass response, solid mid-range, and nice clear highs. I cannot possibly see any disappointment when I get these in a 5.1 configuration running bluray content.

I am still looking for RS-62 surrounds and now am considering a 7.1 setup. The Denon AVR-5800 apparently supports it with built-in amplification for the added rears. Whats the concensus on 7.1? Is there enough DTS/ES content out there? How would this work with 5.1 content?

I just picked up a pair of RS62II's from a guy in TX so I guess I am all set for now. So I have a mint pair of RF-62 IV's, an RC-52 IV, and pair of RS-62 II's for right at $1k. I'll post the 7.1 question over on AVS before I pull the trigger on another pair of surrounds.

Yes, going to keep my Carver/Sunfire True subwoofer....at least for now. My brother swears by Velodyne and they sound pretty impressive but I like the small size and big sound of the Sunfire.

Edited by miketyler
  • Like 1