RF-5 playing quiet (Solved)

Fizik

Picked up another pair of RF-5's off Craigslist today. They are in pretty good shape cosmetically. Few broken tabs, minor finish wear, etc.

They had been sitting in the original owners garage for a while as he had replaced them with a Klipsch soundbar and wireless sub.

One of them works perfectly, however the woofers on one of the towers is playing very quietly the sound is clean just quiet. The tweeter plays at the proper volume.

I checked the connections and nothing was amiss.

Is it possible the crossover had gone bad? Or anything else I should check?

Thanks.

Picked up another pair of RF-5's off Craigslist today for $125. They are in pretty good shape cosmetically. Few broken tabs, minor finish wear, etc.

They had been sitting in the original owners garage for a while as he had replaced them with a Klipsch soundbar and wireless sub.

One of them works perfectly, however the woofers on one of the towers is playing very quietly the sound is clean just quiet. The tweeter plays at the proper volume.

I checked the connections and nothing was amiss.

Is it possible the crossover had gone bad? Or anything else I should check?

Thanks.

blown voice coil [- take an ohmmeter reading on both woofers - one is bad if all the connections are ok -

Edited by Randyh

Check the connections inside the speaker and see if there's some loose wire or alligators running to the low drivers. All it takes is a bad connection to ruin a good speaker. Also check your jumpers in back.

Checked all the connections, they are bi amped so no jumpers are being used.

Check the connections inside the speaker and see if there's some loose wire or alligators running to the low drivers. All it takes is a bad connection to ruin a good speaker. Also check your jumpers in back.

Checked all the connections, they are bi amped so no jumpers are being used.

here are few steps you can do -  1) take an ohmmeter reading on both  and compare   2)  swap the woofers - remove the woofer from the bad speaker to the other one - and  test  3)   that will tell you right away if it is a wire or connector or if the woofer is bad - if the 2 woofers work fine - then swap the crossovers on both speakers  -   as it could be a bad capacitor -

Edited by Randyh

Something else I noticed.

My first set of RF-5's, made in 2001 say on the sticker a max input of 150 watts.

My second set made in 2002 say a max input of 250 watts.

For reference I found a photo from one made in 2003 that goes back to 150 watts.

Is this just a sticker mix up? I've seen the 250 watts on RF-7's but not 5's.

IMG_2416_zpsdda7b6d8.jpg

IMG_2447_zpse1ed6e2d.jpg

Edited by Fizik

Got it. One of the woofers had the voice coil wires touching. Separated them and works perfectly now.

I had a pair of 5's that drove me crazy.  You could listen all day long at moderate to semi loud levels and never have an issue.  If you pushed them hard my receiver would go into protect mode.  I had to disconnect all 7 speakers and add them one at a time to isolate the offender.  The wires on one of the woofers voice coil would touch each other but only during high excursion.  I bent them away from each other and never had another problem.

Got it. One of the woofers had the voice coil wires touching. Separated them and works perfectly now.

I had a pair of 5's that drove me crazy.  You could listen all day long at moderate to semi loud levels and never have an issue.  If you pushed them hard my receiver would go into protect mode.  I had to disconnect all 7 speakers and add them one at a time to isolate the offender.  The wires on one of the woofers voice coil would touch each other but only during high excursion.  I bent them away from each other and never had another problem.

I could understand how that would get irritating. Fortunately it was just the one, new to me tower that did it. Haven't had an issue before or since. I'm really enjoying having 4 RF-5's in the same room.