Anything I need to know before I inuke ?

Bryant0086

I have an older Bag End Infrasub 18 that never really got played a great deal considering it's age, but the plate amp gave up on me, went DC and started blowing fuses. I am more of a music guy than movie buff, so I absolutely love the BE sub. That sub seemed to be quite polarizing as the music guys adored them and the movie buffs couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Ha ha ha anyway, I thought about buying a new sub, but figured at $279 plus a speakon plug and RCA to 1/4 mono jack, I could make this thing rock again. I have even already downloaded and "played" with the software.

Even if the driver failed, I think the driver is VERY similar to an Eminence Sigma Pro 18 which is 175 ish. I did my homework and through liberal use of Google and various forums, I seemed to figure out Bag End's "magic" ELF technology with the 12dB roll off per octave at 63 hz. I also am a musician and have dealt with pro audio gear, though we are talking about lead boxes called Peavey CS800s when it comes to power amps, so it has been a while.

Having said all of that, I have never put my hands on one of the inukes, so other than the fan sounding like a radio controlled jet plane, is there anything I am missing, or any advice anyone can give (other than get a "real" sub ha ha ha) ?  

Bryant

Please share your experience. I've already bugged derrickdj1 for iNuke advice, and I plan to do so again soon.

I have put my hands on an iNuke1000dsp, but I've not gotten a chance to power it up. This will make no sense to most and seem moronic to a few, but I have a question regarding the Speakon connections.

I'm guessing that channel A output is positive to +1 and negative to -1, with channel B output positive to +2 and negative to -2. Given the confusing, to me, instructions, including examples regarding mono and bridged outputs, I'm reluctant to plug it in and elect a Pope (white smoke).

Edited by DizRotus

I am not at home right now but, the diagram in right on the back of the amp.  This amp has some good safety features, I doubt if you will see smoke, lol.  You  may need a little light to see the +1, +2, -1, and -2  on the speakon.

Light is good.  Younger eyes would be an even better help.  I can see the tiny designations on the Speakon.  The diagram on the back of the amp is consistent with my assumption described above.  I'll give it a go this evening.

Thanks Derrick.

Apologies to Bryant0086 for the minor hi-jack of his thread.  At least it's on topic.

Edited by DizRotus

Please share your experience. I've already bugged derrickdj1 for iNuke advice, and I plan to do so again soon.

I have put my hands on an iNuke1000dsp, but I've not gotten a chance to power it up. This will make no sense to most and seem moronic to a few, but I have a question regarding the Speakon connections.

I'm guessing that channel A output is positive to +1 and negative to -1, with channel B output positive to +2 and negative to -2. Given the confusing, to me, instructions, including examples regarding mono and bridged outputs, I'm reluctant to plug it in and elect a Pope (white smoke).

I am purchasing the amp today. Don't have one near me locally, so I will have to order it. Maybe a week before I get it. I am off next Monday and Tuesday, so tentatively, that will be when I hook it up. If it and the cables come in sooner, I may not be able to wait. I'll post everything here though. Probably going to go with Parts Express. The price seems to be bottomed out at $279 wherever I look, so I will get it from somewhere that also has the cables is my thought.

Bryant 

Bryant,

Does PE have any "open box" iNukes?

Looks like they have open box iNukes (3000dsp) for $250. But it appears they only come with a 6 month warranty. Not sure the $30 savings is worth losing the 3 year warranty.

Warranty Schwarranty.  First thing you need to do is a fan mod which throws any warranty out the window anyway.  Of course if you are careful I'm not entirely sure how they could ever know, it is possible to remove the original fans without destroying them, and if you get a 3-pin replacement fan they plug right in to the board.  I would think that swapping back would be super easy.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Bryant,

Looks like they have open box iNukes (3000dsp) for $250. But it appears they only come with a 6 month warranty. Not sure the $30 savings is worth losing the 3 year warranty.

Warranty Schwarranty.  First thing you need to do is a fan mod which throws any warranty out the window anyway.  Of course if you are careful I'm not entirely sure how they could ever know, it is possible to remove the original fans without destroying them, and if you get a 3-pin replacement fan they plug right in to the board.  I would think that swapping back would be super easy.  

I already bought the new one from PE. Most likely I will be doing a fan swap, but I have dogs, cats, chickens (I live in the sticks) and two elementary school age kids. The fan noise may be a lot more "tolerable" to me than it would be for some. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the amp yet and don't know how loud it will be....... just sayin'. 

The fan swap won't be a problem, either way. I am an industrial technician and do quite a bit of automation with a good bit of electrical/electronics, plus I do computer repair for my friends, family and work associates. DIY projects become my nemisis when they involve wood. In my line of work, everything is made of metal. I can weld, use machining tools etc. However, I have a hard time cutting a straight line with a "skill" saw.  >:0 

Bryant

Bryant,

I already bought the new one from PE. Most likely I will be doing a fan swap, but I have dogs, cats, chickens (I live in the sticks) and two elementary school age kids. The fan noise may be a lot more "tolerable" to me than it would be for some. Don't get me wrong, I don't have the amp yet and don't know how loud it will be....... just sayin'. 

The fan swap won't be a problem, either way. I am an industrial technician and do quite a bit of automation with a good bit of electrical/electronics, plus I do computer repair for my friends, family and work associates. DIY projects become my nemisis when they involve wood. In my line of work, everything is made of metal. I can weld, use machining tools etc. However, I have a hard time cutting a straight line with a "skill" saw.  >:0 

Bryant

oh trust us, it will be a problem. It's like having a vacuum cleaner on in the room lol

Bryant,

Bryant

oh trust us, it will be a problem. It's like having a vacuum cleaner on in the room lol

Ha ha ha, yeah I suppose so. I have heard "small jet" and others as well. I'll be sure to get dimensions and get one ordered. Newegg probably has a hundred to choose from. Maybe I can find one that has a connector that will fit.

Bryant 

Bryant, I have two of the five I Nuke amps with the fan mod.  Depending on how close the amps are to the tv/projection screen depends on if you need the mod.  The warranty is void with a fan mod.  I did have a board failure in the first 6 months and had to send it in to be replaced. 

Bryant, I have two of the five I Nuke amps with the fan mod.  Depending on how close the amps are to the tv/projection screen depends on if you need the mod.  The warranty is void with a fan mod.  I did have a board failure in the first 6 months and had to send it in to be replaced. 

I do appreciate the info due to giving me at least some sort of info as far as reliability, but as far as fan mod, I will just hook it up and see, before I order anything. Since people said it is three wire, it almost has to be two speed...... or Behringer was submitted the lowest bid on a two speed fan, but chose to use a single speed, or something like that. In any sense, I will look at the fan before I actually hook it up and get measurements etc. simply because it is more practical, and the fact I want to see what's inside, and see if I can take the front cover off and spray paint it black.

Bryant   

• Like 1

I do appreciate the info due to giving me at least some sort of info as far as reliability, but as far as fan mod, I will just hook it up and see, before I order anything. Since people said it is three wire, it almost has to be two speed...... or Behringer was submitted the lowest bid on a two speed fan, but chose to use a single speed, or something like that. In any sense, I will look at the fan before I actually hook it up and get measurements etc. simply because it is more practical, and the fact I want to see what's inside, and see if I can take the front cover off and spray paint it black.

Bryant

I'm interested in your plans. Mine will be black also.