Funky Speaker Placement in How to Setup a 7.1 System Article

Youthman

• Moderators

Just saw this and am scratching my head on their suggested speaker location for the back surrounds.  I have no idea why they would recommend placing them directly in the corners.  THX, Dolby, Yamaha etc all recommend along the back wall away from the corners.

http://www.klipsch.com/blog/how-to-set-up-a-7-1-system/

I agree, that placement does not look like it matches other 7.1 setups I've seen. 

Home_Theatre_7_1_Surround_Speaker_Placem

I thought the Klipsch "suggestion" that "some toe-in might be desirable." was a little wishy-washy.  With horn loaded speakers I thought they should always be toed in.  Dolby places the subs inboard of the mains, not corner loaded.  With two subs that would not be an issue, but with one sub the bass will be biased towards that outside placement.

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/7-1-setup.html

• Moderators
That post should say two possible locations for the surrounds. The configuration would then be 5.x.

I don't think that would be correct either.  Even in a 5.1 setup, why would you want to place the side surrounds behind you and directly in the corner?

The rear surround speakers add more depth to the surround sound experience by spreading the sound across four speakers (the left and right surrounds and rears), rather than two, resulting in more directed, immersive sound.

The two additional speakers also help to fill larger rooms more completely. Plus, more and more films are being released or home viewing in 7.1 format, adding to its appeal.

Based on these two sentences, they meant for that to be a 7.1 setup.  Just cannot understand their logic on placement of the rear surrounds.  I emailed Alex and posted on their Facebook page but haven't received a response yet.

• Like 1

That post should say two possible locations for the surrounds. The configuration would then be 5.x.

I don't think that would be correct either.  Even in a 5.1 setup, why would you want to place the side surrounds behind you and directly in the corner?

The rear surround speakers add more depth to the surround sound experience by spreading the sound across four speakers (the left and right surrounds and rears), rather than two, resulting in more directed, immersive sound.

The two additional speakers also help to fill larger rooms more completely. Plus, more and more films are being released or home viewing in 7.1 format, adding to its appeal.

Based on these two sentences, they meant for that to be a 7.1 setup.  Just cannot understand their logic on placement of the rear surrounds.  I emailed Alex and posted on their Facebook page but haven't received a response yet.

I have often wondered about things like this with products... Who is proof reading this before it is released? Why do so many manufacturers have manuals that don't make any sense? Is it a language barrier or just that they don't know their product?

WRONG, I'd always tell people calling tech support to Google THX SPEAKER PLACEMENT. 

There are some alternate methods that work interestingly well, like firing rear surrounds up and off the ceiling, or placing side surrounds next to seating firing off the side walls. But never in the rear corners... geesh c'mon. 

• Like 1