Break in for new Heresy III?

Shaun K

Hi all,

Just got my Heresy III's over the weekend, and was wondering how long it should take for them to break in, if at all?  Thus far they sound far more wooden and dead than the KLF10's they replaced, but I assume (hope) that will change over time.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I've heard 10 hours, but I'm not sure to be honest. The sound WILL change, of that I am sure.  I also understand it is a myth that you have to keep them at low volumes during break-in. 

Oh, and GRATS on the new speakers!

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I did forget to mention that one of them is pretty badly broken (cracked baffle and horn) so I'm sure that has affected the sound.  I wish I could get them both replaced so I wouldn't have to keep track of 2 break in cycles :)

Just curious... Had you listened to a Heresy 3 (or any Heresy) before you bought them? Having owned Heresy 1's & 2's, they do sound different than the KLF series. And I'm betting the Heresy 3 does as well.

Are your Heresy 3's on the floor or up at ear level? If on the floor, it would make a difference compared to the KLF 10. And they will be a bit bass shy compared to a KLF 10 as well. So that may be contributing to the difference in sound. But the upper bass that is there is nice and tight. Overall a great little speaker.

Not having owned a brand new pair of Heresy. I can't say how much/little the sound may change over the initial few hours. But it may take a while regardless, to adjust to the new sound, if your coming from the KLF 10 and never heard a Heresy.

If your that concerned about breaking them in... put a CD on repeat, turn it up to 90dB or so, and let them play all day while your at work.

I've listened to 2 sets of Heresy I's before these.  I expected these to sound different than my KLF's but I still expected them to sound "good".  I know that's a subjective quality and I've only used them for about 10 hours, so I'm just going to be patient for now.

They are on the floor, tilted upwards on the built-in stands.  Do you recommend any further isolation from the floor?  My KLF's and CF-2's both have carpet spikes, but they didn't have stands like these do.

I didn't expect them to be that much more "bass-shy" since they have 12" woofers.  Perhaps another mistake on my part. 

Oh and my wife works at home, so playing a cd at 90db all day might not go over so well :) 

Just curious... Had you listened to a Heresy 3 (or any Heresy) before you bought them? Having owned Heresy 1's & 2's, they do sound different than the KLF series. And I'm betting the Heresy 3 does as well.

Are your Heresy 3's on the floor or up at ear level? If on the floor, it would make a difference compared to the KLF 10. And they will be a bit bass shy compared to a KLF 10 as well. So that may be contributing to the difference in sound. But the upper bass that is there is nice and tight. Overall a great little speaker.

Not having owned a brand new pair of Heresy. I can't say how much/little the sound may change over the initial few hours. But it may take a while regardless, to adjust to the new sound, if your coming from the KLF 10 and never heard a Heresy.

If your that concerned about breaking them in... put a CD on repeat, turn it up to 90dB or so, and let them play all day while your at work.

I did forget to mention that one of them is pretty badly broken (cracked baffle and horn) so I'm sure that has affected the sound.

Why bother worrying about "breaking in" a "badly broken" speaker... It's never going to sound the way it's supposed to.

Because I'll still want to break in the new one when it arrives?

You may want to try them up off the floor, with the tweeters closer to ear level, to see if that makes an improvement to your ears... it may or may not.

It is a 12" driver, but it's in a relatively small cabinet. However the low bass frequency response among the Heresy versions is relatively close. So it shouldn't be significantly different than what you heard with the Heresy 1.

Good luck with the break in...

You may want to try them up off the floor, with the tweeters closer to ear level, to see if that makes an improvement to your ears... it may or may not.

It is a 12" driver, but it's in a relatively small cabinet. However the low bass frequency response among the Heresy versions is relatively close. So it shouldn't be significantly different than what you heard with the Heresy 1.

Good luck with the break in...

I'll try them up higher, but I actually hope that they don't sound better that way.  One of the main reasons I replaced my KLF10's with these was WAF, and I'd pretty much lose that if I bring them more than a foot off the ground.

Good point about the smaller cab, and it's sealed as well.  I can't expect the same response from these as I do my other speakers.  I guess this means I'll need a second sub :).

Hi all,

Just got my Heresy III's... they sound far more wooden and dead than the KLF10's they replaced, but I assume (hope) that will change over time.

I had a set of well broken in H-III's and that was my exact impression of them. They sounded lifeless, dull and congested compared to my Chorus II's.

Oh and my wife works at home, so playing a cd at 90db all day might not go over so well

Please send them to me for break in. They require approximately 2000 hours of focused. expert break in. Also have the replacement sent here. I will agree to perform this valuable service w/o charge.

Wooden and dead........ Never heard them described like that . Breaking them in is not going to change that if breaking in is even '' A thing'' which I do not agree with. You did not mention what your driving them with. The only complaint I have ever heard abut them is lack of bass and I disagree with that also. Did you not listen to them before you bought them ? What was wrong with the KLFs guess you could sell the Heresys and go back to the KLFs .

• Like 1

Wooden and dead........ Never heard them described like that . Breaking them in is not going to change that if breaking in is even '' A thing'' which I do not agree with. You did not mention what your driving them with. The only complaint I have ever heard abut them is lack of bass and I disagree with that also. Did you not listen to them before you bought them ? What was wrong with the KLFs guess you could sell the Heresys and go back to the KLFs .

I did not listen to them first...not sure how you can do that when most places sell Klipsch only via mail order.  I have listened to Heresy I's before and my impression of those was much better.  I am driving them with an Onkyo TX-SR806 (130 wpc).  Only driving 2 channels as I don't have a center anymore and my sub amp decided to act up.  I may hook them up to my Teac NP-H750 tonight to see if anything changes.  As for the KLF's, they did not have any WAF since they block half the windows in the living room.

Make sure the polarity is correct.

Polarity is correct, but yes that's always a good thing to check.

The replacement speaker arrives tomorrow, and I'm sure things will improve.  Thanks for all the input everyone.

Hi all,

Just got my Heresy III's over the weekend, and was wondering how long it should take for them to break in, if at all?  Thus far they sound far more wooden and dead than the KLF10's they replaced, but I assume (hope) that will change over time.

definitely a bad speaker  choice for you  - Heresies are best at sound at ear level - they are lifeless , by that , you mean uncolored  -yep that is right - they are over 10 hours old - they are broken in , now your ears have to adapt to the speaker-as well , - - the heresy 3 is not a modern sounding speaker - although a good monitor - klf 10 is better in my book - more bass - more definition - punchier -