Break in for new Heresy III?

Shaun K

Hi all,

Just got my Heresy III's over the weekend, and was wondering how long it should take for them to break in, if at all?  Thus far they sound far more wooden and dead than the KLF10's they replaced, but I assume (hope) that will change over time.

definitely a bad speaker  choice for you  - Heresies are best at sound at ear level - they are lifeless , by that , you mean uncolored  -yep that is right - they are over 10 hours old - they are broken in , now your ears have to adapt to the speaker-as well , - - the heresy 3 is not a modern sounding speaker - although a good monitor - klf 10 is better in my book - more bass - more definition - punchier - 

Perhaps I should have gotten the RF82-II's like I had originally planned...

How many hours on them now?

Probably under 20.  Most of that has been movies and tv shows too.

I am still using one of the damaged speakers too, the replacement arrives tomorrow.  Here's the damage just for reference:

post-60723-0-82480000-1424289137_thumb.j

post-60723-0-93840000-1424289144_thumb.j

Edited by Shaun K

Hi all,

Just got my Heresy III's over the weekend, and was wondering how long it should take for them to break in, if at all?  Thus far they sound far more wooden and dead than the KLF10's they replaced, but I assume (hope) that will change over time.

definitely a bad speaker  choice for you  - Heresies are best at sound at ear level - they are lifeless , by that , you mean uncolored  -yep that is right - they are over 10 hours old - they are broken in , now your ears have to adapt to the speaker-as well , - - the heresy 3 is not a modern sounding speaker - although a good monitor - klf 10 is better in my book - more bass - more definition - punchier - 

Perhaps I should have gotten the RF82-II's like I had originally planned...

- I love heresies - I have a few pairs  - h1-h2-- they are like a monitor to me  - ithey can give a lot of detail but dont expect bass - like the bass of  the RF-82 - or klf 10 -the H3 needs a sub and with that will be very impressive - crank it up and enjoy the sound - take time to hear the H3 and then you might be surprised - just dont compare it to the newer stuuf from klipsch which is really different

• Like 1

Hi all,

Just got my Heresy III's... they sound far more wooden and dead than the KLF10's they replaced, but I assume (hope) that will change over time.

I had a set of well broken in H-III's and that was my exact impression of them. They sounded lifeless, dull and congested compared to my Chorus II's.

Compared to Chorus II's huh?  I am utterly mystified by this....

Dang….what did they do drive over it?

I'd love to know too...the grille is in perfect condition, so it must have been off when it was damaged.  They were an open box set from AcousticSoundDesign, and the note inside the box from the previous buyer indicated that he "didn't like how they sounded".  I can certainly understand why...

Dang….what did they do drive over it?

I'd love to know too...the grille is in perfect condition, so it must have been off when it was damaged.  They were an open box set from AcousticSoundDesign, and the note inside the box from the previous buyer indicated that he "didn't like how they sounded".  I can certainly understand why...

so he took a hammer and smached them - sounds like a case of speaker rage -

I love my Heresy III's! I wouldn't descibe them as lifeless at all. They sound just like my Forte's upstairs, just not as deep of bass. The bass is more tight though. And do check the polarity. One of my subs was backwards from the factory. Easy quick fix!

did you add this white  foam to the speakers -

Edited by Randyh

I messed around with placement and eq in the living room last night, and I think they are starting to sound better.  The replacement arrives today, looking forward to lots of listening this weekend.

That's good to hear.  I absolutely love my HI's and HII's and I hear that the HIII's are even better.

Bill

HIII has slightly better bass than the HI IMO.  Dull and lifeless?!  Definitely not in my experience.

Your damaged speaker isn't even sealed anymore so I can't imagine much good sound is coming from it.  Break-in seemed pretty slight and was mostly on the low end.  The mid-horn is easy to damage from the weight of the driver.  I wonder if the other isn't damaged too; if it wasn't slammed around as well.

If these were open box returns who knows what the previous person did to them.

The mid-horn is easy to damage from the weight of the driver.

I thought that as well.  It looks like it was dropped upside down and the weight of the driver broke the horn.  It could have been done while still boxed up so there would be no evidence on the cab.

The mid-horn is easy to damage from the weight of the driver.

I thought that as well.  It looks like it was dropped upside down and the weight of the driver broke the horn.  It could have been done while still boxed up so there would be no evidence on the cab.

I never would have thought of that (I thought compression drivers were fairly light).  I know the other speaker looks good, but I will probably pull the woofer today and inspect the inside of the cab for any damage (and for correct polarity)