Initial impressions of Reference Premiere

Scrappydue

Carl is hounding me for more I can tell. So still haven't watched much as I've been super busy on my days off.

Today however my dad came over and we watched edge of tomorrow upstairs since my son was home. My dad hadn't seen it yet so I threw it in and knew he would enjoy it. Cranked it on up to -15 and hit play. Well of course that initial bass sine went to town in the Svs (had totally forgot about it). I thought the surrounds did a great job. However the front three kind of let me down. Specifically the center today. I'm still trying not to be too judgemental till I have seen some more stuff. But I will say I thought for the first time ever my center needed to be turned up. Just felt it wasn't mixing well with the 260's. Everything has been calibrated and I haven't noticed it till today. Normal TV sounds good on the center. Im thinking the laid back sound will be nice for newer Klipsch users but I think my ears preferred the "brighter" ref ii center. Specifically the rc-62ii. I still think that the rc-62ii is a better bang for the buck, and even a better center as it's more designed for a typical user being fromt ported. I think this new center looks great like the 64 but a STUPID idea to rear port it. Will make it just about impossible to use for MANY users out there.

Watch how much you run that center up. I've noticed a lot of movie content, especially those in lossless formats, tend to be a little quiet in the center channel as opposed to TV shows which employ a lot more compression and dialog normalization. Just like some content doesn't have as much low frequency as we think it should, some of it doesn't have as much center as we think it should.

Yeah I hear ya but problem with that is I have watched this same movie 10 times probably. Watched it once on my rf-63 home theater. Once on my rf-42ii theater and quite a few times in my cinema theater. Never have i felt the need to boost the center.

What does your gut say; is it a response issue or a tonal issue?

Depending on where you cross the center over, the rear ports may not be a big issue. If you have any cabinet resonance, just put some egg crate behind the speaker. My RC-7 has been in a cabinet and it's not an issue at all.

this was what my buddy had done. Although not in a cabinet his is on a stand in his theater he just felt the center was a bit too boomy and couldn't seem to tame it with his eq to his liking. Oh well.

If they're coming out with these new premier speakers are they not replacing the 7ii's? The new reference & reference premier & reference ii's all at once is a bit confusing.

A nice structured hiarchy would be nice. (I still swear I heard that they're coming out with a replacement for all reference2 lineup. At least that's what my dealer said- hence them selling all old models. No more 7's on display. )

I hope they either keep the 7ii's or replace and not eliminate. It will be sad to see the big dual 10" drivers be a thing of the past. Although maybe the thought is smaller drivers = lower cost = more affordable = more sales? VS- go big or go home

I compared them directly against RF-7ii's.  Just don't hook them up at the same time and you'll be fine. :)  RF-7ii's are significantly more laid back in my opinion, tweeter is much smoother.  Otherwise in terms of output and tone they surprisingly could keep up and blend halfway well.  

I thought the new RP stuff was gorgeous.  Only thing I didn't like was that in direct sunlight right next to an RF-7ii with the pure black veneer, the RP's almost had a purple tint to them, it wasn't a pure black.  Inside of the room by themselves I never noticed but put them by the window and they had a purple or burgundy tint when comparing to the black veneer of RF-7ii's.  

Personally I'd like to see a mini RF-7ii, something smaller but with the same veneer and laid back sound.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I compared them directly against RF-7ii's.  Just don't hook them up at the same time and you'll be fine. :)  RF-7ii's are significantly more laid back in my opinion, tweeter is much smoother.  Otherwise in terms of output and tone they surprisingly could keep up and blend halfway well.  

I thought the new RP stuff was gorgeous.  Only thing I didn't like was that in direct sunlight right next to an RF-7ii with the pure black veneer, the RP's almost had a purple tint to them, it wasn't a pure black.  Inside of the room by themselves I never noticed but put them by the window and they had a purple or burgundy tint when comparing to the black veneer of RF-7ii's.  

Personally I'd like to see a mini RF-7ii, something smaller but with the same veneer and laid back sound.  

That's a good observation. I tend to like the speakers more laid back for music but for movies and TV I like them a little more pushy. To me it helps sell the immersion of the presentation with a more three dimensional affectation.

I do have the new reference 15" sitting amongst four RF7ii's in cherry. I think the vinyl black with the record album texture to it looks nice next to the cherry. It lets you know it's a subwoofer box with class. But you're right- next to the black rf7ii's it would look a bit... Off.

How would the new reference surrounds pair for side wall mounted surrounds with rf7 front and rear? Good blend sonically? Or is the new tweeter design going to sound silly for the dispersion side surrounds? Can't decide if I get the RS62ii or get the new side surrounds.

I do have the new reference 15" sitting amongst four RF7ii's in cherry. I think the vinyl black with the record album texture to it looks nice next to the cherry. It lets you know it's a subwoofer box with class. But you're right- next to the black rf7ii's it would look a bit... Off.

The 15 is wrapped in the brushed stuff like what's on the baffle of the new RP stuff.  I was talking about the ebony vinyl woodgrain on the side of the RP's when I mentioned the purple tint.