La Scala placement (starting point)

imahawki78

Update on my post earlier; I've experimented with their placement some more (given that I am dealing with a short wall and farther away LP), I have now pulled them out of the corners about 5ft and so the LP is now 19ft, with a slight toe-in of the left speakers but not toe-in of the right speakers (LP is a bit off-angle).  The effect was enormous.  I think the short wall, given that it is a narrow-long room may have acted as an alcove coupled with a mini-cathedral ceiling (from 7.5 to 10ft and then down again) which created a huge bouncing effect in the front section (my guess as a non-prof accoustic expert).  And I think in my case 19ft is about as far away as a LP without loosing the directness to the speakers, in my previous room the max was 13ft and I always thought that was too close for my taste.  I have not lost any bass, I think the amp does all the work (and granted with classical music the LS have ample).  I am good for while I guess.  Thanks for the different ideas here in the posts.

Me too!

I'm a new (vintage 1979) La Scala owner and a recent forum member, and happy to be both!.

I'm definitely not a new high-end audio practitioner having enjoyed the pursuit for a few decades, but being a virgin La Scala, owner,

room placement has become a high priority for me. I have found that the LS are far more sensitive to placement than any of the

dozens of my previous speakers. Distance from walls, distance from listener, and most of all - toe-in/out cause significant changes

in sound. 

This can be either a virtue and a vice.   

Thus far for me placement against the wall corners, pointed directly at me sounds the most evenly balanced across the frequency spectrum,

but resulted in some strong resonances in the upper bass.  For now, I'm stuffing some fiberglass insulation into the corners which has helped, but

I will need to find a better room treatment solution - definitely not digital room correction - maybe an equalizer in the analog domain after my PS Audio

DirectStream dac and my turntable. 

I'm theorizing that pointing the horns directly at the listening position can sound harsh and strident if the front end and amplification are not compatible,

especially if the source of digital playback is not high quality.  Digital playback quality is inherently a serious challenge, and with 105 db sensitivity I'm guessing

the LS exacerbates the problem.    

On 2/16/2018 at 1:53 PM, Mxvm said:

Thanks for the welcome jimjimbo ! I’ll keep in touch and keep improving my english :)

and yes, I tried many spotting points, except this one that I tried last... and it was the better... as written in the klipsch documents lol. 

Votre Anglais est parfait, monsieur. Tres comprenable. Much better than my French!