"off the record"

T2K

State Rep. Gene Alday, a Republican, told The Clarion-Ledger he was against increased funding for education, in particular funding to improve literacy. During his explanation, Alday said he comes "from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks.' They don't work."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mississippi-lawmaker-blacks-dont-work-and-get-crazy-welfare-checks/ar-BBhEOQI

Seems like this may be and apples to oranges problem.  We have a large group suffering from generational poverty that is most certainly anchored in racial boundaries starting for long ago.  They do suffer from illiteracy and remain unmotivated.  They have access to education.  They are transported to schools and even fed by the school systems.  Yet as a group they generationally continue to flounder.  Are we expecting an education solution to a social illness?  Not sure what the best approach might be but we've attempted education for several generations and have not made adequate headway.

It is quite the mess and not unique to blacks and ghettoes either.  There are enclaves of rural whites and other ethnicities who suffer a similar plight.  Is it reasonable to expect everyone to fill a minimum standard?

Guest Steven1963

Bring back the draft.

JJK

You might be kidding here, but this is pretty much what I think is coming.  Instability in Europe, economically, politically and geopolitically with the Ukraine problems. I keep flashing to a scene in a movie I saw where the Irish were streaming off of boats in New York fresh from Europe. Moments after setting foot onto American soil they were given a rifle and forced to enlist into the Army.  Off to fight the Civil War and if they lived through it, they were given citizenship. Not too far from what could happen if we fall into another war, only this time it'll be conscripts from the southern border joining the poor and impoverished already here in this country being shipped off to the front lines.

History repeats and it's a solution to a political hot potato. You know it won't be the politicians sons and daughters.

I don't keep up with the system much but I do read the local paper. Here is an article I read the other day and it mirrors what has gone on here for decades. Take from it what you will.

Trace Crossings' demographics also have changed dramatically. In 2003, Trace Crossings' student body was 69 percent white, 18 percent black, 8 percent Asian and 5 percent Hispanic. Now, the school is 41 percent black, 33 percent white, 16 percent Hispanic, 6 percent Asian and 4 percent multi-race. It is the only school in Hoover where black students outnumber white students.

The percent of Trace Crossings Elementary children from low-income families (qualifying for free or reduced-price meals) grew from 15 percent in 2003 to 46 percent in September 2014.

Craig's rezoning plan would make Trace Crossings 44 percent white, 31 percent black, 18 percent Asian, 4 percent multi-race and 3.5 percent Hispanic. Plus, Trace Crossings' percentage of students from low-income families would fall to 19 percent.

Test scores at Trace Crossings also dropped as students from lower-performing school districts moved into the Trace Crossings zone (often in apartment complexes). And as test scores declined, property values dipped as well.

Trace Crossings parents have begged the school board to redraw school attendance zones to change the demographic profile of their school and change the negative perception of the education being offered there.

And tonight, a Trace Crossings teacher told the school board that if rezoning doesn't happen, the challenges at Trace Crossings will only get more challenging.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/02/hoover_schools_wont_charge_bus.html

Keith

I keep flashing to a scene in a movie I saw where the Irish were streaming off of boats in New York fresh from Europe. Moments after setting foot onto American soil they were given a rifle and forced to enlist into the Army.  Off to fight the Civil War and if they lived through it, they were given citizenship.

"Gangs of New York" 

What an enormous failure of black and minority leadership. They certainly are not going to find any solutions in the "white" educational system, are they? What sort of lack of imagination is at work here? How surprised should anyone be that poor young blacks have lost faith? WOW!

All you have to do is pay attention to the dominant majority idiot here who shot his mouth off about 'welfare checks' to understand the relations here. Gee, they don't want to play ball? I haven't looked to deeply lately, but I can not even name a progressive black leader. Well there's Farrahkan, but I think he ran right into the GWOT buzzsaw and anti-Islam sentiment. There will be no traction in THAT direction. Aside from that, I guess it's billionaire jet-setter Oprah? LOL

Until they find the next Dr. King (and he has adequate protection), I think the results will be what you see. Sad, really to be wasting so much resource.

Um......... what is a 'black' educational system like?  Don't mean to sound cheeky and I do appreciate the racial conundrums faced by blacks currently and historically.   Specializing in respiratory medicine we have the understanding that you can drown a person in oxygen but unless they physically breathe they will still die of suffocation.  To learn a person still has got to apply themselves.  Despite any system disparities and real or perceived racial animus blacks actually can learn in the existing system.  We have seen this.  Why more do not do better or even excel is the challenge.  

So what is a 'black' education system about, how does it differ, why will it motivate and succeed where the existing system does not?  Are there any examples?  In and of itself this statement is racist, implying that some racially structured system must be contrived just for blacks.  

Dr. Ben Carson.......... can he perhaps be the next great black inspirational leader?  Why or why not?

• Like 2

. I keep flashing to a scene in a movie I saw where the Irish were streaming off of boats in New York fresh from Europe. Moments after setting foot onto American soil they were given a rifle and forced to enlist into the Army. Off to fight the Civil War and if they lived through it, they were given citizenship. Not too far from what could happen if we fall into another war, only this time it'll be conscripts from the southern border joining the poor and impoverished already here in this country being shipped off to the front lines.

Gangs of NY, based on true events.

Say what you will, but even with numbers showing ethnicities, how is it that Asian and Indian kids can do well, but not blacks? It's called laziness and comes from their parents. A parent who has been getting welfare since they were a child through their parents and then onto them,will never change. Why should they? And all they have to do is play the race card.

Where I grew up as a kid we had our ghettos and you know what happened? The blacks destroyed their homes, then turned and demanded new homes. What did we do? We gave them new homes and they destroyed them again.  Whites don't go into their neighborhoods and force them to sell drugs and pimp their own family members off to each other. Nor do the Asians, Hispanics, or Indians. They do it to themselves and expect us to continue catering to them. And the white left winged extremist continues to make excuses for them to continue to get a free handout.

So what is a 'black' education system about, how does it differ, why will it motivate and succeed where the existing system does not?  Are there any examples?  In and of itself this statement is racist, implying that some racially structured system must be contrived just for blacks

Common Core systems were developed for blacks, by a black as he ssaid our learning system was geared towards whites, and look at what is being taught in all schools now. Common Core.

It won't succeed and is just another excuse for them to continue to take and get handouts. Look at Bill Cosby and his statements on this, and then look at him personally,outside of all the stuff going on with him now. The dirfference with him and the rest of teh black community is he took responsibility for himself while the community refuses to.

I keep flashing to a scene in a movie I saw where the Irish were streaming off of boats in New York fresh from Europe. Moments after setting foot onto American soil they were given a rifle and forced to enlist into the Army.  Off to fight the Civil War and if they lived through it, they were given citizenship.

"Gangs of New York" 

Even though based on true stories that was one stupid movie.  But that is what I expect from the director.

Well, Goodfellas was alright.

Edited by oldtimer

mdeneen,

If you know anything about history in big cities then you will know what I am talking about. 1977-1981 I lived in Miami, before the Cubans ran everything there, when it was Hatians that ran the area. I was 1 of 3 white kids in my school. The other 2? My brother and sister who were younger than me. And you know what I got daily? An asskicking because I was white. 1973-1977 and then 1981-2001 I lived in Jersey City. Do you know the history there? Newark blacks back in the late 1960's to 1970 walked from Newark to the border of Jersey City burning down the towns on the way. Do you know why?

Did your generation or my generation bring said slaves over here? Did we tell them they couldn't change their own futures? Did we tell them they couldn't better themselves? Did we make them quit school, become druggies, pimps, or anything else?

Did you personally grow up in a large city surrounded by minorities? I call it like I see it and grew up in it.

History is what it is................the past. keep making excuses for the past, or keep refusing to help squash what happened and help push them to becoming better people.

Did you live in a city where 80% of the people of people living there were impoverished? I did and was one of theose people. I had parents who were drug addicts and died from heroin and aids, my parents lived off of welfare as well. You know what that did to me? It made me want to better myself and swear to myself I'd never live that way. I had my father throw me up against a wall at 6 months old because I had a solied diaper and was crying. Had both my legs broken, an arm, and my skull fractured. I did not use anything that I went through as an excuse. It was a motivator,that was it. And before I get called a racist, my wife is Dominican. I am Dutch German Irish and Spanish.

And if we are going by history, the blacks sold themselves to the whites. The tribal leaders sold them.I know they were also kidnapped.

Also, I'm Irish mix, look at what happened to the Irish in the late 1800's early 1900's. They were enslaved also. What did they do? THEY WORKED THEIR ASSES OFF TO GET AWAY FROM WHAT THEY WERE STEREOTYPED AS.

I'm not attacking you personally, but I do take exception to what you are saying. Blacks have said numerous times they wanted to be left alone in their own neighborhoods and businesses, so the redlining although true is also due to themselves.

All the abpove you state is also true,but it's not as bad as you say it is fgor them. They run all sports and make millions upon millions of dollars to play a game.

There is no excuse for what happened in the past, but enough is enough. How long can you beat a dead horse? When is it tiime for them to act on their own?

• Like 3