More sub questions...plenty vs. overkill?

dewthedru

I believe it is almost always better to have equipment just loping along rather than all out and strained just to barely be good enough, at least with amplifiers and subwoofers.

Yes, but on the other end... and this is probably a misled and incorrect theory of mine, but I've always thought that subs were meant to actually flex, at least somewhat, and with that in mind, if you were going to listen to them at really low volumes, it would be better to have a smaller number of subs that flexed more rather than a larger number that are fed only a small fraction of what they are meant to handle. I guess I envision somewhat of a threshold that is required to get them to move right and therefore sound right. Not sure if this is true or not.

this would be completely untrue actually. The "flex" you refer to, the more there is the more distortion there is. If you had 30 18's in your room and they all only moved 2-3mm it would be the cleanest bass youve ever heard.

For a given SPL and frequency, the less flex the better (lower frequency modulation distortion).  Horn-loaded subs are beginning to be popular because the horn loaded subwoofer cones move over a shorter distance than conventional sub cones.   I'd love some horn-loaded subs in my system.  My current subwoofer has too much flex, and therefore sounds muddier and less precise than my Klipschorns -- to the degree that I turn my sub off with some music, and movies that don't have a lot of bass.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1

Are you talking about your Ultimax subs?  They should handle the latest Tranformer movie without  a problem.  Are you using and bass boost or PEQ?

For the bottoming out yeah the ultimax's. Best I can figure is that maybe a combination of running the subs hot, having the amp's gain up pretty high instead of doing it through the receiver, having dynamic EQ on, and maybe changing the room up after running Audessey did me in. But yeah there is one specific part right when it starts when the spaceships fly by your field of view from behind that bottomed them out pretty hard. I haven't done it in awhile since things are set up better, I'll try it again.

Starting at 28 seconds here:

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Do you have a way to play sound from a computer through your system? If so, download REW and use the tone generator to sweep across the subwoofer frequencies. At modest levels, see if you can't find the frequency where things get violent sounding. It could just be a matter of bracing....

Sounds like a setup problem. I sent you a PM.

his subs are ran pretty hot. But we played with his setup and his room is pretty dang good for his subs. Only place we cut was up higher cause he was in a peak. Other than that no additional eq applied. But we didn't get to run this clip as my friend that came kind of made me feel rushed plus the weather was supposed to get really bad. It has to be the fact that the subs are ran so hot. Unless there is something wrong with BOTH drivers. I mean I even setup limiters on the amp. It should clip and shut off before allowing subs to bottom out?

I mean I even setup limiters on the amp. It should clip and shut off before allowing subs to bottom out?

If they're clacking on Transformers then they might need tweaking.  EDIT, he said he hasn't tried it since the last set up.  They may be ok.  How hot are you running?  More than 6dB?

I'd still like to see a picture of the bracing or at least a description.

Edited by CECAA850

What kind of bracing did you use?

I'd still like to see a picture of the bracing or at least a description.

2" poplar hardwood, multiple cross braces going in all directions including right next to the driver, plus a long piece along each panel. Baffle is double thick 13 ply baltic birch. Only reason I wondered if it was the box was that it is plywood. If you do the "knock test" it feels hard as a rock but rings a little, even right where I know there is a brace or even two on the other side of the wood. MDF comparatively sounds like a dull thud.

If they're clacking on Transformers then they might need tweaking.  EDIT, he said he hasn't tried it since the last set up.  They may be ok.  How hot are you running?  More than 6dB?

Yes, I have not tried this clip on Transformers since changing it. Subs aren't as hot now, I'm right at 6 db hot. I don't know what it was before as I did it through the gain on the amp and not the receiver. I don't have dynamic eq on. Used to they were on 60 hz as well, now they are on 80.

Scrappy set up the filter he already mentioned, really steep cut around 40 hz, plus put a 1,200 watt limiter on it. Subs sound much smoother and doesn't have an obnoxious peak on sine wave sweeps.

Really the only questionable thing right now is the violent sounding action on strong dynamic material in the upper subwoofer frequencies. I will have to try to isolate it before I can even explain it properly.

we didn't get to run this clip as my friend that came kind of made me feel rushed plus the weather was supposed to get really bad.

All of the above did kind of suck. :) Like I said before I have not played this since changing the setup, I can't say that it is still doing it. The "clacking" remark just reminded me of it but I was talking about something else and didn't explain fully.

I will try it again soon. It does sound much smoother. I've been doing more spending time spending time with the wife rather than abusing my theater room recently.

6dB should be about perfect.

Any fiberglass or batting in the boxes?

A bunch of poly fill. This is the only pic I have on me of the construction, doesn't show much, but the poplar on the ground is what I used for the braces.

box2_zps304faae5.jpg

box_zpsbf0439e3.jpg

room2_zpsa4f8fc9c.jpg

I can't imagine what you're hearing then.  Are you sure it's not can lights rattling or something other than the subs themselves?

No I'm not sure what it is.  It could very well be something in the room rattling or at least vibrating strangely, I have not isolated it yet.  I did install REW and went from 10 to 100 hz in 5 hz increments and fixed some rattles recently but I may have missed some plus it may need to be louder to set it off.  It does sound like its coming from the general area of the subs but it may be something else.  

Sounds like a setup problem. I sent you a PM.

his subs are ran pretty hot. But we played with his setup and his room is pretty dang good for his subs. Only place we cut was up higher cause he was in a peak. Other than that no additional eq applied. But we didn't get to run this clip as my friend that came kind of made me feel rushed plus the weather was supposed to get really bad. It has to be the fact that the subs are ran so hot. Unless there is something wrong with BOTH drivers. I mean I even setup limiters on the amp. It should clip and shut off before allowing subs to bottom out?

He told me you had helped him in a PM.  I told he was in good hand and work with you.  It will bel less confusing and since you know what you did, further tweaks will be easier for the two of you to workout. 

I use PEQ on the low end and use an 8.5 db boost at 20 Hz due to the room size.  This eat's up some headroom but, I have never bottomed out the subs.  I do have limiter set currently.