Best Horn Sub For La Scalas And Music / Not Home Theater Use

Ivanhoe56

I have a beautiful pair 1981 raw unfinished birch La Scalas , I want to start using them again to listen to 2 channel stereo music again after giving them a couple of years rest . I would like to mate them to the best horn sub woofer available , I have read a lot of threads on the Klipsch forums about La Scalas   and sub woofer recommendations for home theater use but not exclusively for music , I am not that knowledgeable on the new horn sub woofers available for music only , and therefore require some advise .  Please remember my application is for 2 channel stereo music only ( Turntable , FM tuner , CD player ) .   I have a Totem Mani-2 system I use for home theater   , and a pair of 1991 Klipschorns as a 2nd pair of Klipsch speakers . I know that some horn subs are more suited to home theater then 2 channel stereo music.

Thanks  

• Like 1

If you want to go "small" a tuba table will take you to 25 HZ and works well with the La Scala (why I built mine), but the Cinema F20 would be the one I would recommend highest. I take up a fair amount of real estate but you will never be left wanting more.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

I live in Toronto , Ontario , Canada , I have a dedicated listening room for music only ( 13 x 13 feet  approx. ) , I have a single ended  VT 52  ( Special 45 )  tube amp ( 2-3 watts ) for amplification and an excellent tube pre-amp , I will be getting some new 300b mono block tube amps ( 7-8 watts ) in about a week  . I listen to mostly classical music ( Symphony and opera ) New Age  music like  Andreas Vollenweide , Enya , Loreena  McKennitt ,and some popular nostalgia from the 70`s & 80`s  , I am 58 years old . I am no afraid of DIY , in fact I would welcome it as a means of cutting costs , I have lots of power tools . I am not afraid of big , if it means that I can have a maxed out system that I will be satisfied with .   tromprof is the Cinema 20 what you have at the very bottom of your stack of horns in your picture ?                                                                  

• Like 1

Thanks CECAA850 for the link to your building of the Cinema f20 , that is very helpful . Do you think that I could stack the La Scalas on top of the Cinema f20`s the same way , or do you think the tweeter and midrange horn would be to high up . I know from reading a lot of the Klipsch forum threads that a lot of members use equalizers , active cross-overs and bi-amping , and tri-amping , that is not something that I currently do , all of my cross overs are passive . This might sound like a dumb question , but will it be possible for me to integrate this sub into my system without using an equalizer , my philosophy preference is to keep things in my 2 channel stereo music set up as simple as possible , like my minimalist single ended tube amplifiers . I guess I would need to get something called a plate amp . I like Human Horn Driver`s set up , what do you use for amplification and interfacing , do you ever use that set up for 2 channel stereo ( Like a turntable ) and listening to music rather then home theater , I am sure that it must sound awesome with home theater , but how does it sound with music ?

• Like 1

They're fantastic with music.  A horn loaded sub benefits more from horn loading than a mid or tweeter does.

It could be easily integrated into a 2 channel rig without eq. Just use the crossover on the plate amp.  EQ'ing will benefit your entire system but it's certainly not unlistenable without it, just the opposite.  Be sure your plate amp has high level (speaker wire) inputs.

The F-20 is certainly stout enough to support a Lascala.  Depending on your seated heights, the tweeters may be too high.  One remedy might be to angle the Lascalas  down.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

If you orient your F20 like mine and put a La Scala on top it will be too high, unless you lie it on its side (which works fine, I had a La Scala center placed like that once). The F20 can be placed vertically (and was actually designed to be setup that way) which gives you another option for placement.

Yes I use my system in stereo and still spin records. Even though it is 5.2 my system for me is primarily for music, though it gets quite a bit of use for movies as well. I power the F20s with BASH plate amps and a Pioneer SC-1222k sorting out the details. I am thinking about trying an Inuke amp with their DSP for the subs to see if it does anything different but am very happy with the sound as is. 

Edited by tromprof

The nice thing about a horn sub coupled with a La Scala or K-horn (or any other big bass horn for that matter) is the clean bass horn sound just keeps going lower and lower. Set up correctly you will be unable to hear where the La Scala stops and the sub takes over. You will be surprised how much bass there is below even the cut off point of the Klipschorn (35 HZ) in modern music recordings.

If you need subwoofers under your mains build two minimum width THT subwoofers, at 15" its your best option.

Another option is to build a THT with a 10" driver for an even slimmer profile.

If you have woodworking experience the build is not that hard and the plans are very detailed.