Best Horn Sub For La Scalas And Music / Not Home Theater Use

Ivanhoe56

the 1802 is big and bad...I also have an F20 that I built over xmas. its a very good design, and sounds fantastic. If your into DIY, its cost effective and sounds great. I will likely build another one once the warm weather hits.

Ivan you will easily be able to integrate an F20 there for sure. A Crown XTI1000 should do the trick.

Klipsch 1802 HLS or the Othorn if you don't mind DIY.

How much space do you have, and what kind of music do you predominately listen to?

Doc, how would you cross the 1802 over?

I'm actually a bit worried about the xover in this application because of the minimalist approach....I seriously doubt he'd enjoy a pro amp with a fan and then there's compensating for the latency of the DSP. In fact, the main speakers would ideally be delayed relative to the sub since the sub generally has a larger pathlength - that gets quite a bit more complicated with the tapped horns because there are two different dominant pathlengths for the sound depending on the frequency range.

As far as frequency range, I'd target somewhere around 100Hz. The lascala is flat to around 100Hz and then shelves down ~8dB below that until it drops like a rock at ~50Hz. You could probably get by with an 80Hz xover with a shallower slope and then adjust the relative subwoofer level to try and fill in the gap....

I think I should mention that the main reason I am planning this project is because I read on one of the Klipsch Forums that the La Scalas can outperform the Klipschorns if they have a good subwoofer , because I have both Klipschorns and La Scalas , and if that is the case I would like to put it to the test , max the La Scalas out and make them sound as good as possible . I know that the La scalas roll off at around 100Hz and not all subwoofers will go up that high . Which sounds better the Tuba sub or Cinema F20 , If worse came to worse I could stand the subs upright against each wall ( I would make 2 subs ) . I am not afraid of a more difficult build if it will me that it will sound better in the system .

The tuba is a more difficult build and a little more space efficient but I don't think there is much if any real world difference in performance. I can say that my tuba table took many times longer to assemble than the F20s did, though it is a nice "little" package and has a much higher WAF.

An old shot of my tuba table between La Scalas.

post-26564-0-23960000-1424303455_thumb.j

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

The difference between the models will be low end extension.

The Tuba home theater (THT) and Table Tuba can be built in different width's 12" - 36" wide, the wider the width the flatter the response, lots of driver options available.

The F-20 is basically a re-folded THT although a slightly longer horn path and uses the same or very similar driver options as the THT.

The F-20 uses 3/4 " material & the Tubas 1/2" and uses bracing to keep resonances at bay

2 different versions of the THT & TT are available, the snail shell type and the long style version. Choose the model that fits your needs as there will be no difference in sound between the two designs.

Any of the above models will have no problem using 100 Hz for a crossover.

Edited by jason str

The tuba is a more difficult build and a little more space efficient but I don't think there is much if any real world difference in performance. I can say that my tuba table took many times longer to assemble than the F20s did, though it is a nice "little" package and has a much higher WAF.

An old shot of my tuba table between La Scalas.

Hey----Another set of full grill cloth La Scalas

• Like 1

If you orient your F20 like mine and put a La Scala on top it will be too high, unless you lie it on its side (which works fine, I had a La Scala center placed like that once). The F20 can be placed vertically (and was actually designed to be setup that way) which gives you another option for placement.

Yes I use my system in stereo and still spin records. Even though it is 5.2 my system for me is primarily for music, though it gets quite a bit of use for movies as well. I power the F20s with BASH plate amps and a Pioneer SC-1222k sorting out the details. I am thinking about trying an Inuke amp with their DSP for the subs to see if it does anything different but am very happy with the sound as is. 

Tromprof,

Would a La Scala sitting on top of a F20 on its side really put the the mid and tweeter horns much higher than the ones in your avatar? Hard to get perspective from the picture(well at least for me).

It may not be minimalist, but I use the Paradigm X30 to control my sub to lascala crossover when I'm doing stereo. 

It is discontinued for some reason, but they can still be found from time to time used. If you had one, you could use a regular pro amp for the sub you choose.

PS: Did anybody here buy that X30 without the PS? If so, and you need me to I can get the details from my power supply.

Edited by mustang guy

PS: Did anybody here buy that X30 without the PS? If so, and you need me to I can get the details from my power supply.

You posted the link about a week before the listing ended.  I wrote a note on my calendar to check it that morning and totally spaced out and missed it.

I built my F20 Extra Wide. Using the same principles as the varying width of the Tuba, I built my F20 Extra wide at about 25 inches total including the sides. there is another thread where Mustang showed the plots. This model allowed me the best use of Wood for the $ with little scrap.

Ivan, your free to stop by sometime...I am not far from you.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the great advice ! I will go with the Cinema F20 , what would be the best plate amp , and driver to use with the Cinema F20 subs ? Also could someone direct me to some links to some detailed plans , and build in progress pictures in addition to what I have been given so far , the more I have avaiable to cross reference the better , I have never built one of these before . Thank you Turbox for the invitation , yes I would be interested in taking you up on your offer , I will PM you .

• Like 1

If you orient your F20 like mine and put a La Scala on top it will be too high, unless you lie it on its side (which works fine, I had a La Scala center placed like that once). The F20 can be placed vertically (and was actually designed to be setup that way) which gives you another option for placement.

Yes I use my system in stereo and still spin records. Even though it is 5.2 my system for me is primarily for music, though it gets quite a bit of use for movies as well. I power the F20s with BASH plate amps and a Pioneer SC-1222k sorting out the details. I am thinking about trying an Inuke amp with their DSP for the subs to see if it does anything different but am very happy with the sound as is. 

Tromprof,

Would a La Scala sitting on top of a F20 on its side really put the the mid and tweeter horns much higher than the ones in your avatar? Hard to get perspective from the picture(well at least for me).

If it was on its side they would be lower since my mid and tweets sit on top of the QP bass bin. I don't see why that wouldn't work ok though.

You posted the link about a week before the listing ended.  I wrote a note on my calendar to check it that morning and totally spaced out and missed it.

If I see another one, I will shoot it over to you. I think that one sold for $105, which is a good price, but about pays for a power supply and shipping of one of the free shipping $150 ones.