Welborne Laurel II monoblock repair/refurb?

Delicious2

Hi Klipschophiles,

Been a coupla years since I posted but I lurk often.  Lots of useful contributions here that have taken me from stock 1990 Khorns to hot rod ones with eliptrac mid and Al's universal xover.  Now it's time get my SE amp journey back in gear.  A few years ago I bought a pair of well used Welborne Lab Laurel IIs monoblocks.  They ran pretty good for a while despite some damage to one output post.  Later one began to smell that electrical smell that lets you know something is wrong.  A skilled electronics guy at work tested it and concluded they had been built from kits and that the first one wasn't assembled very well (the one that's smelling) and the second one better.  He replaced a cap but I found it still started to smell after it warmed up and now he says a bridge rectifier is bad but he has no time to do the repair himself.

Please recommend someone in the New England area who is skilled with these and would repair the one, test them both and possibly refurbish, update, modify.

thanks in advance!

Mark H

post-41832-0-60480000-1424289021_thumb.j

post-41832-0-60960000-1424289057_thumb.j

Another Option if you would like would be to refurbish these amps yourself. I also own a pair of these and have an assembly manual and parts list. If you know how to run a multi-meter, and soldering iron and have a basic understanding of electricity, it would not be difficult to do this yourself. I have built a number of amps from kits and it is not that difficult. If you are patient and have attention to detail, you could un-assemble these amps and then follow the assembly instructions and re-build them.  It would be a satisfying project when you were finished. The key element is to Not be in a hurry.