My two favorite movies in my life

Karsoncookie

I encourage much you folks to see these---  I'm sure many have - They NEVER get old for me.

To Kill a Mockingbird w Gregory Peck

And, Sling Blade w Billy Bob Thornton. (It's not a slasher film)

The first is in the IMDB top 250.

I REALLY don't know why the second isn't

I grew up watching Andy in Mayberry like.

When they asked me in grade scholl - "Who is your hero?" it was him.

Anyway, ya.   Lars 

I encourage much you folks to see these---  I'm sure many have - They NEVER get old for me.

To Kill a Mockingbird w Gregory Peck

And, Sling Blade w Billy Bob Thornton. (It's not a slasher film)

Anyway, ya.   Lars 

Great movie, I didn't know your second pick.

Another great movie from the Old Days would be Twelve Angry Men.  No action, just dialog, and they probably didn't even need a movie set, just an old court house building.  It explored the issues of prejudice waaay before it was popular, in a very personal way.  Great acting.

+++

Lars:  I'm not sure what Scandinavian nation you are from, but do you get the American TV series on our History Channel, called Vikings?

http://www.history.com/shows/vikings

I followed the first two seasons, and on 02/19/15 it will start its third season.  It is a terrific series.

vikings_lagertha_3-AB.jpegvikings_gallery_7_5-P.jpeg

Edited by wvu80

Scandinavian? No , It was a BS name I chose to be anonymous when I (apparently paranoidly) joined the forum because I was not yet familiar that it was populated by great guys. 

12 angry Men--- VERY good.

Wvu - It would be cool if you wanted to write on why different movies/ music appeal to diff people.

I'm one of those guys that never got "into" any certain particular bands albums, but there are songs from many artists that like floor me. I mean like a Baby - Specially after a few. OMG.

"Lars"

I LUV Lutefisk (Not)

Mockingbird is a classic that when I come across it I have to watch it, Gregory Peck is one of my favorite actors. He was very good in The Omen also.

The Andy Griffith Show is my all time favorite. It was so simple, and usually had some type of message. I'll never get tired of watching them.

Slingblade was a great movie, BB Thornton did an excellent job, I liked the young kid in that movie, he's been in a few movies lately as an adult.

Another of my favorite movies is Cool Hand Luke with Paul Newman. Newman always reminded me that whatever character he was playing, he wasn't acting. He was a great man also.

OMGosh!!!!  Sling Blade is my favorite movie, ever!!!  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

"mmmm hmmm, French fried taters."

Best line in the movie.  "Carl, whacha doin with that lawn mower blade?"  "Mmmm Hmmm, I'm fixin' to kill you wit it, mmmm hmmm."

YAY - I am not alone.  Some think I am crazy for loving this movie so much :)

• Like 1

Slingblade was a great movie, BB Thornton did an excellent job, I liked the young kid in that movie, he's been in a few movies lately as an adult.

He's in one of the myriad of NCIS spin offs now.  I think New Orleans.

I've always enjoyed Scent of a Woman and will always re-watch any of the 3 of the Godfather trilogy.

Another great movie from the Old Days would be Twelve Angry Men. No action, just dialog, and they probably didn't even need a movie set, just an old court house building. It explored the issues of prejudice waaay before it was popular, in a very personal way. Great acting. +++

I'll have to watch it.  I'd like to see The Judge that's out now also.

I tried compiling a list a couple of times and was a little surprised that they were all violent.  Not all are great works of art but action packed with plots that intrigued me.  Here are some of the candidates.

Saving Private Ryan

Full Metal Jacket

Scar Face

Platoon

No Country For Old Men

The God Father

Deliverance

Apocalypse Now

The Deer Hunter

The Firm

Stand By Me

Jaws

Wall Street

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 4

Another great movie from the Old Days would be Twelve Angry Men. No action, just dialog, and they probably didn't even need a movie set, just an old court house building. It explored the issues of prejudice waaay before it was popular, in a very personal way. Great acting. +++

I'll have to watch it.  I'd like to see The Judge that's out now also.

The Judge was a great movie.

My review of The Judge

• Like 1

I tried compiling a list a couple of times and was a little surprised that they were all violent.  Not all are great works of art but action packed with plots that intrigued me.  Here are some of the candidates.

Saving Private Ryan

Full Metal Jacket

Scar Face

Platoon

The God Father

Deliverance

Apocalypse Now

That's pretty much my list also, I might add Gladiator and Heat

• Like 1

NETWORK.

Paddy Chayevksy saw the future - and how the television would take us there. Because he worked in television, he understood the power of that device, and how it was being used to pull the wool over the eyes of entire societies by taking the news from a device made to inform to a profit center - and how television corrupts everything it touches in the process.. It won four Academy Awards (how it didn't win Best Picture I'll never understand), and rarely do you see film today stacked with the kind of acting talent you see in this film.

"There is no America. There is no democracy. There is only IBM, ITT, AT&T, Dupont, Dow, and Exxon. Those are the nations of the world today." -  Arthur Jensen

• Like 2

first two godfathers and treasure of the sierra madre...a john huston film starring humphrey bogart.

All full of quotes that have permeated our culture.  

"Badges?  We don't need no badges!  I don't have to show you any stinking badges!"

"Leave the gun, take the canoli."  

"...made him an offer he couldn't refuse."

• Like 2